The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Lullabelle

I love orchids but they do not love me. I have never had much success growing orchids. I manage to keep them alive but after the first bloom I can not get them to bloom again. I have read up on orchid growing and discussed it with other Master Gardeners who grow orchids. No luck. I really do not have the proper light and do not want to set up a light table. I also have a crazy cat that likes to knock things over.

@Lullabelle

I love orchids but they do not love me. I have never had much success growing orchids. I manage to keep them alive but after the first bloom I can not get them to bloom again. I have read up on orchid growing and discussed it with other Master Gardeners who grow orchids. No luck. I really do not have the proper light and do not want to set up a light table. I also have a crazy cat that likes to knock things over.

They are the only house plant I am successful with. I keep them in clear plastic pots so that their roots have access to light, our lounge gets a lot of natural light but they are not in direct sun, I water them occasionally with rain water but don't let them sit in water. It really is that easy. Maybe your talents lie elsewhere :okay:

Our house really does not have sufficient natural light for growing plants inside. Outside is another matter. My patio is a jungle of potted plants as well as my 2 table height veggie garden boxes. Most of my plants remain out year round. Our winters are extremely mild. The Plumeria plants are the exception. They are put in George's shop before the first frost and spend the winter there ignored and neglected. All of the leaves drop and they "sleep" over winter. In the spring they are moved back out, watered heavily and fed weekly for the first month. .

A lot of fireworks were going off last night, our cat wasn't too bothered she lay on the floir between us for reassurance but otherwise ok.

It isn't a fun time for animals.

A lovely crisp morning. I got up at 7am to make the tea then took them back to bed for an early morning sup, it then started to rain and boy did it rain! It has cleared up nicely but is rather chilly. I went out for a run wrapped up well but soon warmed up, the sun is out :sun:

It isn't a fun time for animals.
Not all of them - none of our dogs or cats have ever been bothered. The cats'would always sleep through it and the dogs just ignore it.
Christmas films are being shown on the television, too early :mad:
They have been showing the B grade Christmas movies for several weeks now :ohmy: but last week just after Halloween - yep - Christmas trees in the shops !! :eek:

I live near a fire station and the firemen were out and about early this morning. As I was still not quite with it as I ambled up to the paper shop, I didn't think much about it and then it dawned on me that they will probably have a busy day as doubtless some buffoon will set fire to itself at some stage today.

One a simple offshoot of above does anybody know anyway of taming garlic ? We've been experimenting recently and all is fine BUT the garlic just LINGERS in the kitchen [OK the whole house really] Help :(

One a simple offshoot of above does anybody know anyway of taming garlic ? We've been experimenting recently and all is fine BUT the garlic just LINGERS in the kitchen [OK the whole house really] Help :(
Lemon juice gets it off your fingers and chopping boards.
Otherwise you'll need to make a citrus deodoriser. I think, but I'm not sure, you speak orange or lemon peel in water (possibly vinegar?) overnight before use.

I suspect that bicarbonate of soda dissolved in water will also work for fingers and chopping boards.

Open a window in or near your kitchen. Citrus spray is a good, natural deodorizer. I roast garlic frequently and have no issues with residual odors. How did you cook/prepare your garlic to have an offensive residual odor?

It's just the smell that seems to linger - in the morning we just come down to a 'old garlic' smell. Opening the window when the wind is blowing a sub zero [feels like it anyhow] wind straight into the kitchen is not high on the list of possibles I'm afraid. [can't cook much in fur coat and gloves :happy:]

Today started off :cold:, then became :sun: And is now :heat: by UK standards but still :cold:by Australian standards... Still there are certain features in the sky lacking so the stove is lit and the night will be :cold: down to freezing overnight but uneerely bright due to the moon. You don't need a torch and last night I accidentally asked my hubby what light he had left on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom