The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid, .crazy :cold:. Temps in the teens F. Where is global warming? I need some of that. @medtran49 , @CraigC , @bluejeanbaby - you all must be experiencing this insane weather. We are not prepared for this kind of cold. Schools and businesses are closed. Bridges are closed. No system set up for ice removal. George is nuts trying to keep the orange tree from freezing.

How cold is it? Its quite warm here compared to how it could be (about 7C = 45F approx).

Stupid, .crazy :cold:. Temps in the teens F. Where is global warming? I need some of that. @medtran49 , @CraigC , @bluejeanbaby - you all must be experiencing this insane weather. We are not prepared for this kind of cold. Schools and businesses are closed. Bridges are closed. No system set up for ice removal. George is nuts trying to keep the orange tree from freezing.
Yes, it dropped off again last night, supposed to last thru tomorrow, warm up for a few days, then drop off again. However, just down to low 40s for us, with feels like of high 30s.

How cold is it? Its quite warm here compared to how it could be (about 7C = 45F approx).
What I hate is that it has often been colder during the day than at night lately. Today was not so bad, was three days this week I have had to turn the electric fire on during the day rather than late at night or early morning. It's 41F here, 36F where my daughter lives, and 32F in the town in Greece near where I was (the village does not show up on weather sites, but I expect it's a lot colder). Riyadh (where my late cousin lived) is a balmy 54F. I tend to use the 'feels like' temperatures. I nipped round the shops on foot Thursday afternoon in what I thought was warm enough clothing and got frozen through because of the cold wind, and I had only been gone 20 minutes.

We have snow every year [and ice and frost - in fact much less of it now that even when I was young] BUT we still close schools roads and often run trains late because of maybe 1 - 3 ins of snow tops. Why ?

We have snow every year [and ice and frost - in fact much less of it now that even when I was young] BUT we still close schools roads and often run trains late because of maybe 1 - 3 ins of snow tops. Why ?
I can remember once having to dig my car out of the snow in the 1960s after abandoning it for nearly a week. I can also remember having to dig one of my Mum's precious Scotties out of the snow when it decided to slip its lead one day and run down a steep hill. The snow was OK at the top of the hill, but down the bottom it was a few feet deep. When I first drove to Germany, it was thick snow - higher than I am tall - and it even snowed there in June that year. I can also remember, when we were at grammar school, we were allowed to wear one item of non-school uniform if it was very cold, but this didn't always apply to snowy weather or if the school heating was not working. It depended entirely on the whim of the headmaster, and heaven help us if we used snow as an excuse not to get to school. It took long enough to get to the nearest bus stop or station, and then there was the mile and a half walk to the school itself.

We'd two incidents on the same stretch of road.
The first, the driver of a car hit a stationary bus.
The second, possibly due in part to one end of the road being blocked, resulted in a car on it's roof blocking the other end.

Schools close in part due to the saving made in not having to have the heating(and lighting) in use.

Schools close in part due to the saving made in not having to have the heating(and lighting) in use.
So we may as well close them all winter.
I even remember the story of the loss [loss] of a steam train back in the 50's [I think] and they lost the one they sent to dig it out too !!
As for the standard of driving it is APPALLING. Huge 4x4's quivering in fear on the drives in 4 ins of snow - people who seem unable to simply slow down expecting the 'traction control' and 'anti lock' brakes to get them out of any situation their stupidity puts them in. Speed in the right place at the right time is fine but no-one seems to be able to differentiate between good and bad weather now. I watched a news bulletin on the 'shocking' weather conditions yesterday and the snow didn't even cover the reporter's boots

So we may as well close them all winter.
I even remember the story of the loss [loss] of a steam train back in the 50's [I think] and they lost the one they sent to dig it out too !!
As for the standard of driving it is APPALLING. Huge 4x4's quivering in fear on the drives in 4 ins of snow - people who seem unable to simply slow down expecting the 'traction control' and 'anti lock' brakes to get them out of any situation their stupidity puts them in. Speed in the right place at the right time is fine but no-one seems to be able to differentiate between good and bad weather now. I watched a news bulletin on the 'shocking' weather conditions yesterday and the snow didn't even cover the reporter's boots
They don't call huge 4x4s Chelsea tractors for nothing :laugh: but some of their owners are probably incapable of driving anything on other than a flat road in the best of weather conditions. And I agree with you about today's 'shocking' weather conditions. Do these people actually know the difference between actual snow and the odd few flakes here and there. Also, what would they do if they were out in a proper blizzard?

You should see how some people dress here in S Florida when it even hits the low 50s, much less into the 40s, you'd think they were getting ready to go out into a Russian winter. We're talking heavy, heavy coats, some with fur, hats with ear flaps, gloves, etc. We see this while out running errands, grocery shopping, etc. Geez, I'm cold too, but socks, long pants, long sleeves, and a light coat or jacket are more than sufficient to keep you warm in those temps unless you are going to be outside for hours and hours in cloudy, windy weather.

Temps were in the mid to upper teens F two nights in a row. Daytime highs below freezing. Sleet and ice. I have a 24" clay pot saucer near the bird feeder with water for my feathered friends. Frozen solid. Had to put out another container of water and break the ice every few hours. Much too cold for my thin southern blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom