The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delightful to hear that a sizable number of employers have been docking wages from people who had no possibility of travelling last week. Oh Mr Dickens, where are you?
Reminds me of when I worked at a local hospital. I did leave home early but it took me over half an hour to walk a few hundred yards. It was icy under the snow, and I couldn't walk very well on it. I turned round and went home, and then phoned my manager. No excuse, she said, your bus is running - yes, but they were stopping short and turning round half a mile away because they couldn't get up the hill. To get to the nearest stop I would have had to cross two major trunk roads - no thank you. When I went back the following day, I was told my pay would be docked and that if I did it again I would be on a disciplinary. One of the women in my office got to work at midday (It took her four hours to get there) and she had to make up the time on the same day. It was about 10 o'clock when she got home.

Speaking of Essex girls, Vera Lynn turns 101 years old today.

Vera Lynn.jpg

Nice pic, when I was last in Thailand I hired a taxi for the day, he took us up the river Kwai then he took us to an elephant show along with Thai kick boxing it was a really good day. Walking over the bridge gives you a real eerie feeling.

Russ

Last weekend, I was trying to locate a small USB cable that serves as a battery charger. This is always in the living room. It appeared to not be in the living room. I scoured the living room, turned it upside down, shook it about a bit, but still no sign of said cable. I gave up.

This morning, the cable was lying on the bedroom floor, just beyond the foot of the bed. I swear that it was smirking just a little. What appears to have happened was that it must have become entangled in my very large Icelandic jumper. I had shifted this garment a few days earlier after the latest freeze had abated. I got it out again yesterday for a trip to Edinburgh.

Now, given that one could probably conceal a family of otters in this jumper without anyone noticing, it was unlikely that I would have spotted a small cable. Still, the plus point is that I didn't rush out and spend money on a new one. Case closed.

Last weekend, I was trying to locate a small USB cable that serves as a battery charger. This is always in the living room. It appeared to not be in the living room. I scoured the living room, turned it upside down, shook it about a bit, but still no sign of said cable. I gave up.
I'm sure I may have told this story before but some may not have heard it. When I was staying with my friend once the know from the cooker hob went missing. It had been taken off and placed next to the hob because the ignition on that particular gas ring was faulty and kept clicking and sparking if it was used - so it was easier to take the knob off so that it didn't get used.

We searched absolutely everywhere for it (including emptying out the kitchen rubbish bin in case I had accidentally binned it). In the end we gave up and decided that as the hob needed repairing anyway he would buy a new knob as well.

Later that day I opened the fridge to grab the bottle of milk - and there it was! It was perched nicely on top of the milk bottle in place of the milk bottle cap. It fitted perfectly! I know it was probably me that had put it there but I must have done so obliviously. The milk bottle cap was nowhere to be seen.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, yesterday while cooking dinner I picked my phone up and thought I took it into the kitchen to check on the chicken, I did a few things in the kitchen then looked for my phone. Do you think I could find it, I retraced my steps, even looked In the oven, nowhere to be seen, after about 10 mins I heard it beep with a Facebook notification, I looked where I thought it sounded like, it was on the table, my table has a black table cloth on it, my phones in a black cover, it was upside down, it blended in. I don't remember leaving it there.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom