The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What nearly killed me this time was another aussie bug... A simple staphylococcus infection that lives in the soil!

Is that because you didn’t grow up here I wonder? I’ve never given much thought to “us” having a different soil bacterial matrix. I was thinking of all the indigenous tribes wiped out by the “common” cold and flu brought here from Europe.

Do you have a health issue that effects your immunity level (?) The only people I’ve ever known to get staph were in hospital with opens wounds. And they had “Golden staph”.

Sorry peeps. Do we need to move this elsewhere?

I sometimes begin to wonder if there is a parallel universe that these things temporarily slip into only to reappear when we least expect it :wacky: If so whoever lives there must be equally worried about the number of keys specs tools [my workshop has a special portal to the other side] pens etc etc that keep appearing from nowhere :eek:

I have specific places where I put my glasses, phone, and hearing aids when I go to bed under the complete misconception that I will be able to find them in the morning. My elderly cat and the dog have more chance of finding them than I have. I can also spend ages looking for my glasses only to realise that I am wearing them, but that usually only happens when my eyes are playing me up. Just to add even more confusion, I have two pairs of glasses - one pair for medium to long vision, and another pair just for reading for reading.

Is that because you didn’t grow up here I wonder? I’ve never given much thought to “us” having a different soil bacterial matrix. I was thinking of all the indigenous tribes wiped out by the “common” cold and flu brought here from Europe.

Do you have a health issue that effects your immunity level (?) The only people I’ve ever known to get staph were in hospital with opens wounds. And they had “Golden staph”.

Sorry peeps. Do we need to move this elsewhere?

Not sure but I do have a condition that suppresses my immune system and I have to take oral steroids everyday because I don't produce one that is fundamental to living. That steroid will help me and my immune system but it also helps bugs as well. 3 other people I know have all come out of the woodwork to say that they also have had cellulitis as well. 2 needed hospitalisation.

As for what's on the soil, it's also in the soil in Europe and Asia, places I have lived outdoors extensively (something I've done all my life), so I don't it to be honest. I think it just found an open wound and inflammation in my elbow and settled into a damaged area making the most of it.

I'm someone who has lived off-grid for the vast majority of my life. I can drink just about any water without issue (but I'm not talking stuff clearly unfit for drinking here, just stuff that I can drink and be fine with and others drink and get ill) so I can drink easily from lakes and streams where it appears to be ok by casual inspection. I guess that comes from living off water that isn't even filtered for most of my life.

I'll bung this over into general chat...

We have a new computer system at work and I now have to key in the date of every single invoice and credit note, thing is when there is a big batch to go through and the numbers 8 and 9 are next to each other it can lead to the wrong year being typed in and it is a right ##### to rectify it :o_o:

My fridge has an ice maker and water filter, so my water is fine, don't have any allergies but my daughter gets hay fever, don't know where she gets that from. Soils around here are spray free so my vegetables and fruit are pretty much organic. I guess I'm lucky.

Russ

I’m similar I guess. Not the living off the grid so much as a lot of camping with Dad that was very much just a few essentials and hunting/fishing gear. We swam in & drank from rivers/lakes without worrying too much.

Once during flooding in a river system which we were camped by, Dad added some sort of purifying tablets to a container of water. It tasted so badly chemical my little brother & I set up a tarp to catch rain water into another container.

I can eat anything.

Not sure but I do have a condition that suppresses my immune system and I have to take oral steroids everyday because I don't produce one that is fundamental to living. That steroid will help me and my immune system but it also helps bugs as well. 3 other people I know have all come out of the woodwork to say that they also have had cellulitis as well. 2 needed hospitalisation.

As for what's on the soil, it's also in the soil in Europe and Asia, places I have lived outdoors extensively (something I've done all my life), so I don't it to be honest. I think it just found an open wound and inflammation in my elbow and settled into a damaged area making the most of it.

I'm someone who has lived off-grid for the vast majority of my life. I can drink just about any water without issue (but I'm not talking stuff clearly unfit for drinking here, just stuff that I can drink and be fine with and others drink and get ill) so I can drink easily from lakes and streams where it appears to be ok by casual inspection. I guess that comes from living off water that isn't even filtered for most of my life.

I'll bung this over into general chat...

Have you ever been to Mexico?

I used to be pretty invincible and drank "clean" groundwater most of my life near home, but my first trip to Mexico taught me to be more cautious. The raging diarrhea and vomiting is called Montezuma's revenge, and ol' Monty is pissed.

Nowadays, even though I can walk less than a mile for fresh water if need be, I would still use a Lifestraw or some kind of carbon filter just to get rid of parasites like Giardia and Cryptosporidium.

Described as a pioneering English cook and hailed as the "queen of the dinner party," Hannah Glasse would have been 310 years old today.

a559f497ff6d43ed959d1aae7b10c2eb_18.jpg

Same here Lulla. My goodness don't I need it. I originally thought about driving to see family down in Victoria but I'm glad I didn't make plans. I'm exhausted. Plus fighting off a throat thing. High doses of vitamin C and plenty of sleep should get me through today.

Well. I did go to bed very early but the cat woke me at 2am to open a door for her & it was almost 4am when I got back to sleep. Up at 6am.

What's everyone got planned for the Easter break, assuming they get one?

Same here Lulla. My goodness don't I need it. I originally thought about driving to see family down in Victoria but I'm glad I didn't make plans. I'm exhausted. Plus fighting off a throat thing. High doses of vitamin C and plenty of sleep should get me through today.

Well. I did go to bed very early but the cat woke me at 2am to open a door for her & it was almost 4am when I got back to sleep. Up at 6am.

I feel for you! I'm on permanent holiday and for me Easter isn't a break at all, just another few days when I can do as I please. I do remember those dim and distant days when I worked full-time commuting two hours each way and had loads of kids to take care of at home, too. I can't quite understand how I ever managed!

Cruisey weekend for me, pub tonight night markets tomorrow night for din dins, Saturday I've got a wee greenhouse to put together and prep for Sunday, kids coming for Easter half ham, and a leg of lamb over a rotisserie with salads etc. will try to get a pic somewhere along the way. Then a lazy day at home on Monday. Tuesday back to work and charging out this months customers. What are others doing???

Russ

:hug:

We had planned to go to the pub for a meal this evening but it is pouring with rain and cold so we stayed in and had pasti, chips and peas. No plans apart from catch up on some shut eye,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom