The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bugs are delicious. We did a cruise from Sydney to Moreton Island (return) for my 40th and ate fresh Moreton bay bugs on the beach there. Was pretty special.

I do miss the coast. I'm near Bathurst. About 30 minutes east.

I've been gardening, washing & cleaning this morning. We got a new gas upright cooker 6 years back and the damn thing has a dreadful design fault. It's screwed to the floor. Meaning it's almost impossible to clean under or behind it

I've been poking rags in there with rulers. Truly disgusting.

Bugs are delicious. We did a cruise from Sydney to Moreton Island (return) for my 40th and ate fresh Moreton bay bugs on the beach there. Was pretty special.

I do miss the coast. I'm near Bathurst. About 30 minutes east.

I've been gardening, washing & cleaning this morning. We got a new gas upright cooker 6 years back and the damn thing has a dreadful design fault. It's screwed to the floor. Meaning it's almost impossible to clean under or behind it

I've been poking rags in there with rulers. Truly disgusting.
What's the floor surface material?

We have another two years (and a few days) left on our visas and know that the company will happily renew them for us if we want to stay on longer.

It's not the pump itself that's the problem but the actual cups on the shaft that are not bringing up any water. Presumably either the pin connecting the shaft to the pump had failed (again) or the very lowest cups have perished (rusted away?) on the shaft. I'm guessing the bottom cups because the water take is very low but there is something there and is not bringing any water up at all. It's a very old Southern Cross pump. I have no idea about the shaft though except that it's imperial not metric which given Australia is one of the few countries in the world that is totally metric right down to calories being Kj not calories dates the pump immediately. I've a photo of the pump somewhere, but honestly don't know the model.
It'll have had a good life, you're looking at around a twenty year old pump.

Founders of the company came from Manchester, Red Rose Country.

Satnav where exactly are you , area, I know Aussie quite well, normally spend 10 days in our winter on the gc. Also love Sydney, especially manly area. Driven quite a bit there as well. Have you tried the Moreton bay bugs yet?? I love them!!

Russ

We are currently west of Canberra on the way to Batemans Bay, but in the mountains. We're moving very shortly though. More mountains but from native bushland to farmland sadly but needs must.

It'll have had a good life, you're looking at around a twenty year old pump.

Founders of the company came from Manchester, Red Rose Country.
The place we are in a hacked of of the bush back in the 70s. It's quite likely that it is the original pump. It certainly looks like it. It's a beautiful pump but the parts are on their last legs sadly. The pump itself still does what it's meant to but no-one wants to custom make the parts for it now. Anyhow we now get to try and suss out the water system at our new place. We were there this morning (with permission to measure up the coop for working out repairs) and the big water tank that collects water off the house actually had a tap (lever style) at the bottom and a pipe going from it. More interestingly the tap is turned off, but there is still water in the house. It looks like the water comes from elsewhere. The other tank which drains off the garage is tiny (as in 3000L size) and is in another field.
There are stand pipes in the garden that work. There are stand pipes in the garden that don't work. But where life gets more interesting is the fact that there is water in the house but not under pressure, and no pump can be heard kicking in. Even more interesting is the fact that there no obvious source for the water but not a hope of it being 'mains' water because of the location. We will be sending a few questions to the owners via the agent on Tuesday because we'd like to know where our water is coming from, if it has been treated (no biggie because law states that the owner has to have it tested before tenants can live in the house) and is it gravity fed or pressure fed. That could mean that all collected rain water is actually available for the garden and chooks, and that's a lot of water!

Flooding really bad at the moment, fields are under water and there are flood warnings for the main roads.

We/I am watching sounds of the 80's, rock, metal, men with big hair and wearing spandex, Joan Jett etc.. Head banging time :D :thumbsup:

@SatNavSaysStraightOn, anything like this one from 1970?
EFH.jpg

Nothing to do with food, but yesterday I watched a fillum that was released after I left UK so I missed it then. The story of a Colliery brass band in the time of potential pit closures in Yorkshire. Even being the miserable old bastard that I am, it brought tears to my eyes during a number of scenes. Well worth a watch.

Brassed-Off-poster.jpg

Nothing to do with food, but yesterday I watched a fillum that was released after I left UK so I missed it then. The story of a Colliery brass band in the time of potential pit closures in Yorkshire. Even being the miserable old bastard that I am, it brought tears to my eyes during a number of scenes. Well worth a watch.

Brassed-Off-poster.jpg
The semi-finals held in the Piece Hall.

I'm going to have to look that one up. I love Pete Postlethwhaite movies.

Although, is Ewan McGregor in every British movie? Either he, or Michael Caine.

Sort of like our Kevin Bacon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom