The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an election planned here in Thailand to democratically elect a parliament to possibly replace the current Junta. As is traditional, there is no alcohol sold on voting days. The voting days are 24th March (actual) and 17th March for those living remote from their province.

No doubt the many Irish bars in the tourist areas will be pleased about this.

I just spilt my fruit juice all over the floor :(
my husband sprang into action and cleaned it up whilst I washed my slippers, I am recovering from a trapped nerve in my back so my movements are slow and limited :blackeye:

I just spilt my fruit juice all over the floor :(
my husband sprang into action and cleaned it up whilst I washed my slippers, I am recovering from a trapped nerve in my back so my movements are slow and limited :blackeye:
@Lullabelle
That's terrible! Such intrusion for me would limit my unlimited ability to "glutton-up" to the food!

@smellycat - it was on UK news tonight that the temperatures in Minnesota could be plummeting to 45 degrees below zero next week. And at the other extreme, in Australia, Melbourne (not far from you @SatNavSaysStraightOn?) it was 46 Celsius today.

Blimey! I've never experienced such temperatures. I would probably have expired by now whichever extreme.

@smellycat - it was on UK news tonight that the temperatures in Minnesota could be plummeting to 45 degrees below zero next week. And at the other extreme, in Australia, Melbourne (not far from you @SatNavSaysStraightOn?) it was 46 Celsius today.

Blimey! I've never experienced such temperatures. I would probably have expired by now whichever extreme.
its insane I know. people do get used to it though. Its really funny. I laugh every time I see it. its true too. I have seen people walk about in shorts and t-shirts in the cold like we're experiencing. I have horses that I watch with a very careful eye too. i put horse blankets on my fur babies in this weather. Some that go outside that are NOT properly dressed do expire.

Last edited by a moderator:
And at the other extreme, in Australia, Melbourne (not far from you @SatNavSaysStraightOn?) it was 46 Celsius today.
Melbourne is about the length of England and half of Scotland away.. . Well only 700km plus , so only London to Glasgow and to the top of Loch Lomond.

We're due another 44C day today. Last night only dropped to a minimum of 24C outside and 28C indoors. By 7am I had all the windows ,doors and curtains shut again .

I actually went to the shops today with hubby just to get access to air con and have an hours or so's rest from the hair dryer like heat/furness in currently living in !

Melbourne is about the length of England and half of Scotland away.. . Well only 700km plus , so only London to Glasgow and to the top of Loch Lomond.

We're due another 44C day today. Last night only dropped to a minimum of 24C outside and 28C indoors. By 7am I had all the windows ,doors and curtains shut again .

I actually went to the shops today with hubby just to get access to air con and have an hours or so's rest from the hair dryer like heat/furness in currently living in !
@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Clue us Yanks who are too lazy to revert to conversions, how hot is 44C? We know that 37 C is body temp., each degree C = almost 2 degrees F, so, 44C = ~ 115 ` F? That's common every single summer where I live, in fact 120`+ is not uncommon!

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Clue us Yanks who are too lazy to revert to conversions, how hot is 44C? We know that 37 C is body temp., each degree C = almost 2 degrees F, so, 44C = ~ 115 ` F? That's common every single summer where I live, in fact 120`+ is not uncommon!

It's 111 degF. I've known 50 degC (122 degF) in the Arabian desert but that is very dry heat normally. When it reaches 45 degC here (which is rare), the RH is up around 90%.

You keep horses? I used to ride and love horses.

Yes, I have horses Currently I have mini horses that I am caring for and training. I will never say break a horse. Never. Its just a matter of learning each others language. I could rattle on and on.

I rescue horses from impending doom, get them back together, rehab basically and find them their forever human home. I havent worked with minis to much before. They're wonderful. I have a blind mini that is a pistol I think I might keep her. Her name is Mae West. Named after the the early American woman gunslinger.

Last edited:
Yes, I have horses Currently I have mini horses that I am caring for and training. I will never say break a horse. Never. Its just a matter of learning each others language. I could rattle on and on.

I rescue horses from impending doom, get them back together, rehab basically and find them their forever human home. I havent worked with minis to much before. They're wonderful. I have a blind mini that is a pistol I think I might keep her. Her name is Mae West. Named after the the early American woman gunslinger.

How fantastic that you are doing that. I've never head of 'minis' - in the UK we have Shetland ponies which are small. I'll have to Google. Do you have any photos? Would love to see them. There is a thread: Show us your pet.

How fantastic that you are doing that. I've never head of 'minis' - in the UK we have Shetland ponies which are small. I'll have to Google. Do you have any photos? Would love to see them. There is a thread: Show us your pet.

i added a few photos of the critters in the link you so graciously provided. Thank you for that. I would have bumbled around for a while looking for the pet thread.

It's 111 degF. I've known 50 degC (122 degF) in the Arabian desert but that is very dry heat normally. When it reaches 45 degC here (which is rare), the RH is up around 90%.
@Yorky
I wondered about Thailand, as my nephew is currently there doing some kind of work with his unit. He is in the Marine Corps., stationed in Japan for 3 years. He has not mentioned the weather. Our (wife & I) Desert location is exceedingly dry. RH here is high only during Monsoon activity in Summer. Otherwise, 10% to 20% is about average. Occasionally it gets down close to 0` F ! Dewpoint here is often below 0` F!

It's the cold dry season here (in the North) at present with temperatures dropping as low as 16 degC (61 degF) at night but warming up to 32 degC (90 degF) by early afternoon. The relative humidity hovers around 60 - 70%.

its insane I know. people do get used to it though. Its really funny. I laugh every time I see it. its true too. I have seen people walk about in shorts and t-shirts in the cold like we're experiencing. I have horses that I watch with a very careful eye too. i put horse blankets on my fur babies in this weather. Some that go outside that are NOT properly dressed do expire.

I'm that shorts guy. Always in shorts.summer or winter. My wife tells me off. Jeans when I go out. Shirt n tie went years ago. Last pair of shorts were tatters but I still wore. They were burnt here at a party one night. My son set them on fire to everyone's delight.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom