The General Chat Thread (2024)?

It isn't always easy to get a gp appointment face of phone so that doesn't help.
No it isn't for urgent things but if you're prepared to book ahead it's usually ok.

The easiest way round it is to go into the surgery and speak to the receptionist, they are usually sympathetic to menopause related problems and they can bypass a lot of the booking procedures and just make the appt for you. They have access to far more appointments than joe public.

Paging my Tea Emergency Advocate! Code Milky Brown! Immediate Assistance Immediately!

IMG_8007.jpeg

Even though its only a few weeks I've seriously considered installing air.con.
When my dad built our house in 1972 (5 beds/2 baths), he didn’t install A/C. He sited it in a grove of deciduous trees, and called that natural air conditioning (leaves blocked the sunlight in summer). He also implemented other passive measures to help keep the house cool in summer and warm in winter.

The Midwest gets murderously hot in summer, and I can tell you, those trees and the other steps he took didn’t seem to do a damn thing to stave off the heat - we sweltered and suffered summer after summer.

Finally, he relented and…installed an attic fan - think of a giant kitchen exhaust fan for the whole house, sucking the hot air out of the living areas and through the attic and out the one end.

It was so powerful, if you were wearing a hat and walked under it while it was running, there was a good chance it would dislodge it, and it was also noisy, sounding a bit like a train running through the house.

It made things marginally better, but with the trade-off of putting up with the noise and the breeze (it’s still strange to me to feel a breeze inside the house) - and if it was that time of year where it was cold enough overnight to have a fire in the fireplace, but hot enough during the day to run the fan (like it is here in Ohio right now), you had to remember to fasten up the fireplace screen, or you’d find bits of ashes flying through the air, sucked up into the fan.

It was only after all us kids moved out that he finally sprung for a proper central air system…and then he was too cheap to run it, so it was right back to what it was like when he first built the house! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom