The omelette

Interesting - I've not come across water being used before. I wonder how the omelette differs from one made with milk?

That is interesting as I always use a splash of water - it lightens up the omelette. Its only a small amount - maybe a tablespoon per 3 eggs. I'd never use milk! In fact, @Sameera's description is the same way I make omelette - the drawing of the edges towards the centre so the uncooked eggs spread outwards on the hot pan surface to cook. It achieves a light layered effect. I see most chefs sort of 'mixing' the egg with a fork or spatula as they cook it. To me that is more like scrambled egg. They always seem to cook it that way on Saturday Kitchen.

I ought to try and video making an omelette this way. It takes 1 and a half minutes (approx).

A lot of omelette recipes use water, it's actually quite common. Some even use sparkling/carbonated water, as it supposedly helps with lightness/fluffiness.

Pretty sure in a traditional French kitchen omelettes are pale, without any hint of brown on them. Personally, I won't eat an omelette or scrambled eggs if they have browned, can't stand the flavor, but to each his own, as that's what makes the world go round!

A lot of omelette recipes use water, it's actually quite common. Some even use sparkling/carbonated water, as it supposedly helps with lightness/fluffiness.

Pretty sure in a traditional French kitchen omelettes are pale, without any hint of brown on them. Personally, I won't eat an omelette or scrambled eggs if they have browned, can't stand the flavor, but to each his own, as that's what makes the world go round!

I like it just a little browned (light gold) but very soft in the centre - certainly not overcooked. Scrambled eggs should never be browned.

I was taught to make omelette by a French chef in France (as it happens!) - he was a friend of the family I was staying with - this was over 40 years go! He used water (a splash) and browned his very slightly - but I think many chefs don't.

Oh I know scrambled eggs shouldn't be brown, but I'm seeing them that way more and more when we go out for breakfast. Personally, I would send them back, but people seem to happily eat them.

I'm always amazed by what other folk will eat!

Say no more.......

glasshoppers.jpg

I rather went off omelettes in the 1980s when just about every restaurant going thought that a runny omelette and a soggy lettuce leaf made a fine vegetarian dish. In fairness, some even added a thin slice of tasteless tomato.

Thankfully, those times seem to be gone and I quite like an omelette these days, though mushrooms should be involved.

Back
Top Bottom