The Sleep Thread

The past couple of nights I have taken a sleeping pill,I don't want to become dependant so not taking one this evening, we will see how sleep happens.

The past couple of nights I have taken a sleeping pill,I don't want to become dependant so not taking one this evening, we will see how sleep happens.

Did the pill work? I've never used them but have heard they can make you feel groggy next morning.

Did the pill work? I've never used them but have heard they can make you feel groggy next morning.

The 1st time I took one, no it didn't, the 2nd one helped but sleep was still a bit broken, the 3rd worked better. They do help, yes I feel a bit groggy the next day but that is mostly due to lack of sleep which is why I take them.

Maybe I should focus more on meditation in the evenings to see if that helps.

Maybe I should focus more on meditation in the evenings to see if that helps.

I think that's a much better idea than relying on medication for a good night's sleep. Can I also suggest that you consider diet and exercise. I've found that by eating lighter food in the evening I'm more likely to sleep well. If you don't want to run in dark evenings, then how about some stretching exercises? Don't watch too much TV, don't spend too long online in the evenings either - try and read a book instead.

I think you have to accept that sometimes it's hard to get a good night's sleep. Out here in the countryside we all know that around the time of a full moon, for example, sleeping can be more difficult. That's just the way it is - and we live with it.

If you're not very careful, then you'll soon find that you won't be able to sleep without taking a pill. That dependence is something that you should strive to avoid.

What defines a "good night's sleep "? Different people have different sleep requirements .
I frequently have insomnia- as in no sleep. Once a week at least. I usually feel tired and sleepy early in the evening- 9 to 10 p.m. I wake at 1 to 3 a.m. and can not go back to sleep . I will read and doze for 30 minutes or so.
I occasionally use OTC sleep aids . Some times they work, sometimes they do not .
When G is out of town I do not fight it. Get up. Putz around the house. Do a load of laundry. Organize a cabinet or drawer. Curl up in my chair with a book. When I do that I will nap for 20 minutes at a time .
As we get older I think we need less sleep. When G is not home it is not a problem. I can bang around, put on music and not worry about waking him. Just this week G started using a white noise app. He said it helped him get back to sleep when he woke in the wee hours.
I will be 66 later this month. Many of my "senior friends " say that they sleep 5 or 6 hours a night. They get up when they wake up. Put on a pot of coffee. Sit around the table or on the patio in warm months. They actually communicate. Plan their day . They love those early morning conversations . They watch the sun rise .
I think the amount of sleep is less important than the quality of sleep.
The quality of our hours awake are much more important.
Is the idea of 8 hours of sleep just that - an idea? Maybe you do not need that much sleep . Do you function on 5 or 6 hours of sleep? That may be all you need .
That gives you many more awake hours to enjoy life.
Listen to your body. Sleep well when you need sleep. An afternoon nap may augment your sleep needs .
When G is out of town those early morning hours are a great time for my crafty stuff or sewing. Day breaks early during the summer. Day break is a great time to putz in the garden

I will be 66 later this month. Many of my "senior friends " say that they sleep 5 or 6 hours a night. They get up when they wake up. Put on a pot of coffee. Sit around the table or on the patio in warm months. They actually communicate. Plan their day . They love those early morning conversations . They watch the sun rise .

That's a lovely thing! I will remember that if I ever need less sleep. So far (at 67), I need even more as far as I can see. I feel OK on 8 hrs but prefer 9 or 10.

I think that's a much better idea than relying on medication for a good night's sleep. Can I also suggest that you consider diet and exercise. I've found that by eating lighter food in the evening I'm more likely to sleep well. If you don't want to run in dark evenings, then how about some stretching exercises? Don't watch too much TV, don't spend too long online in the evenings either - try and read a book instead.

I think you have to accept that sometimes it's hard to get a good night's sleep. Out here in the countryside we all know that around the time of a full moon, for example, sleeping can be more difficult. That's just the way it is - and we live with it.

If you're not very careful, then you'll soon find that you won't be able to sleep without taking a pill. That dependence is something that you should strive to avoid.

I don't drink caffeine after 7pm, my tablet is switched off at least 30 mins before I go to bed, no loud fast paced tv programmes, and our meal is at 6pm and not heavy, I never leave the table feeling stuffed. My problem is lack of exercise, it is so cold and dark in the evenings that I don't go back out, so I have been looking at things I can do in the house, just need the motivation.

I won't have a pill this evening, I don't want to become dependant.

I haven't had a pill for a couple of evenings and my sleep is improving. I don't wake up in the middle of the night but I do wake up early, drift a bit so I don't feel quite so exhausted but 7-8 hours interrupted would be nice.

Yesterday was a good day, sun was shining and I was happy, my dreams however were disturbed. Didn't take me long to doze off but my dream involved someone who was dead-I didn't see them so no idea who it was, woke up, dozed off again, this dream was also about someone who had died, him I did know, woke up, dozed off again, my dream involved me being in a room with our cat and a lovely dog-someone took the dog off me. I woke up feeling sad and have felt down all day :(
I think I need help :unsure:

Hope you can get some sleep, and resolve any issues that may be impairing same. I used to find the internet relaxing, and sharing about food, my opinions/thoughts, but in recent years have felt it wound me up w a variety of unstable users and their expoundations, copycat input, etc. Keep thinking I should take a break from the internet, and the "problems" will go away. Hasn't happened, yet.

Hope you can get some sleep, and resolve any issues that may be impairing same. I used to find the internet relaxing, and sharing about food, my opinions/thoughts, but in recent years have felt it wound me up w a variety of unstable users and their expoundations, copycat input, etc. Keep thinking I should take a break from the internet, and the "problems" will go away. Hasn't happened, yet.

We would miss you if you didn't visit here :hug:

Maybe I should eat less chocolate :scratchhead:

Last edited:
Lousy night, was tired but couldn't settle, even though the window was wide open I was so hot, kept waking up throwing off the duvet and drinking water. Probably only had about 3-4 hours sleep :tired::tired:

Try counting sheep.
dressed20up20sheep.gif

Back
Top Bottom