The Sleep Thread

Lol, you gave me a giggle, we have a saying here, if we talk about a country area like west Melton, we say west Melton, where the men are men, and the sheep are nervous. :)

Russ

I hurt myself laughing.:laugh:

My wife will tell you sleeping is her hobby. (I say Botox and getting her face sand blasted is).
A nurse working all-nigher 12 hour shifts she has slept as long as 22 hours after a long stretch of work. Cat tucked right in their with her.
Neighbors wife the same.
We guard their sleep.
No one knocks at the door nor rings the bell, kids stay out. Strictly enforced except an emergency.
Dedicated and compassionate, she has nightmares about her patients back at the hospital. I wake her up then.

When I settle in bed I have a specific position, because it was so hot last night we had the fan on and a thin sheet in case we needed it, I couldn't settle because it was 'wrong', I know that sounds a bit strange but it was a bad night, up at 6.30 this morning so am feeling very :tired:

When I settle in bed I have a specific position, because it was so hot last night we had the fan on and a thin sheet in case we needed it, I couldn't settle because it was 'wrong', I know that sounds a bit strange but it was a bad night, up at 6.30 this morning so am feeling very :tired:

Oh dear - are you in Norway yet?

I've always been a night bird up to now, sometimes even staying up all night to 'reset' my internal clock or if I was reading a really good book. However now that I'm in my 60's and my job entails varied shift patterns, some 4:30 a.m. wake ups and some shifts as late as midnight or even later I'm finding it harder to be a night bird. If I stay up past midnight these days I really find myself feeling washed out all the next day.
I do have some insomnia, but as others have mentioned exercise definitely helps me to get off to sleep easier.

I too have 'old fellers curse' of having to get up at stupid o clock for a wee, thankfully I can usually get back off to sleep again.

I am getting to the stage of really looking forwards to retirement. I have set the date, 22nd March 2024 and have an app on my phone which is counting down the years, months, weeks, days, hours minutes and seconds!

That is a bit of a while to go - I was lucky to get early retirement at age 58. So I've been retired almost 10 years. Blimey! I hadn't realised it was so long. I literally couldn't imagine going to work again.

Yes, it is still some time to go, I've (hopefully) extended retirement a bit so that I get 20 years in at my current employers. One because I think 20 years is a nice round number and two because it bumps my pension up a little bit.
Although it is a while away, when I think back to what I was doing four years ago it seems like only yesterday. I suspect that four and a half years will drag, but once I get to two ish years those two years will fly by.

I have a sleep disorder. My body clock does not know what 24 hours is. I usually sleep in two lots of about 4 hours. The best is when I can sleep 4 hours in the morning (e.g. from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.) and 4 hours in the late afternoon (e.g. 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.). Every now and then these two sleep periods meet up or overlap and then I get more sleep. such as last night. I slept a full 8 hours and didn't wake up until 12.45 p.m. Now, at 4 p.m., I can barely keep my eyes open. However, sometimes I can sleep through a whole day, and other times I don't sleep at all for 2 or more days.
I did attend a sleep disorder clinic, but their schedule couldn't cope with the times I slept, and I couldn't cope with the times of their appointments.
When I worked, it was a nightmare, although one of the hospitals I worked at let me sleep for an hour or so at lunch time, which helped a little. The last hospital I worked at was not in the slightest bit sympathetic, even though that was the one where the sleep disorder clinic was! The doctors I worked for did show concern and referred me to occupation health (who were the ones that actually referred me to the sleep disorder clinic). The occupational health department waiting room was nice and quiet compared to the rest of the hospital and, as my appointments were always in the afternoon, they invariably found me sound asleep in the waiting room and had to wake me up!
I have found it easier since I retired in that I can sleep/be awake when my body wants to, although this can be difficult if I have an appointment or go somewhere where I have to be awake at a specific time.
I do find that when I take the dog out for a long walk in the mornings or late afternoons I go to sleep as soon as I get home, but taking the dog out for a walk in the evenings is not an option where I live. Sleeping pills are not an option either because of the medications I am on for other more serious health issues.

I have a sleep disorder. My body clock does not know what 24 hours is. I usually sleep in two lots of about 4 hours. The best is when I can sleep 4 hours in the morning (e.g. from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.) and 4 hours in the late afternoon (e.g. 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.). Every now and then these two sleep periods meet up or overlap and then I get more sleep. such as last night. I slept a full 8 hours and didn't wake up until 12.45 p.m. Now, at 4 p.m., I can barely keep my eyes open. However, sometimes I can sleep through a whole day, and other times I don't sleep at all for 2 or more days.
I did attend a sleep disorder clinic, but their schedule couldn't cope with the times I slept, and I couldn't cope with the times of their appointments.
When I worked, it was a nightmare, although one of the hospitals I worked at let me sleep for an hour or so at lunch time, which helped a little. The last hospital I worked at was not in the slightest bit sympathetic, even though that was the one where the sleep disorder clinic was! The doctors I worked for did show concern and referred me to occupation health (who were the ones that actually referred me to the sleep disorder clinic). The occupational health department waiting room was nice and quiet compared to the rest of the hospital and, as my appointments were always in the afternoon, they invariably found me sound asleep in the waiting room and had to wake me up!
I have found it easier since I retired in that I can sleep/be awake when my body wants to, although this can be difficult if I have an appointment or go somewhere where I have to be awake at a specific time.
I do find that when I take the dog out for a long walk in the mornings or late afternoons I go to sleep as soon as I get home, but taking the dog out for a walk in the evenings is not an option where I live. Sleeping pills are not an option either because of the medications I am on for other more serious health issues.

That must be awful at times!

My wife will tell you sleeping is her hobby. (I say Botox and getting her face sand blasted is).
A nurse working all-nigher 12 hour shifts she has slept as long as 22 hours after a long stretch of work. Cat tucked right in their with her.
Neighbors wife the same.
We guard their sleep.
No one knocks at the door nor rings the bell, kids stay out. Strictly enforced except an emergency.
Dedicated and compassionate, she has nightmares about her patients back at the hospital. I wake her up then.

We've recently has a terrorist attack in my city, my wife's friend is a theatre nurse, she worked 32 hrs flat when casualties started into hospital. Nurses do an outstanding job.!! She's late 50s and said the young nurses couldn't handle the trauma and tragedy. The older did most of the work.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom