The tea thread

I can get decaf PG tips tea here from most supermarkets but I'm not sure why I'd want to. Coffee has far more caffeine that tea. Unless you drink multiple cups of tea each day the caffeine is very little.

Anyway, you (I happen to know) commit complete tea sacrilege by putting cream in it!
Depends how you long you brew it and how much tea is in that brew. A lot of the time it’s a lot closer to coffee caffeine wise than you’d think. Tea topping out at 70 milligrams and coffee ranging from 95-200. A Starbucks espresso contains about 75 milligrams per cup

I can get decaf PG tips tea here from most supermarkets

But they sell it in pretty much every supermarket. I can even buy decaf PG tips and Tetley in Spain
When we were in Cheltenham in 2018, neither Tesco nor Sainsbury had any, nor did they even have a spot for it (and I know because I asked, a rarity for me).

I heard about it every morning at breakfast from MrsT, because she was packing some PGT decaf along and I’d laughed her, pointing out she was re-importing tea back to the UK - “They’ll have it there, duh!” :laugh:

Everyone to their own, of course.
When I was a teenager, I used to go to a friend's house, on the village green. Tea was provided at all hours of the day, and in the summer, we'd sit on the front lawn and have "afternoon tea". Anyone who passed by was invited in for a cuppa.
Curiously enough, tea was prepared with a spoonful of Lapsang Souchong in it, which added an interesting smoky touch. To this day, I'll do the same IF I can get hold of lapsang.
During my first year at Uni, Exam Season arrived. Tradition was that you went for a hearty breakfast at George's, where you'd get 2 eggs, bacon, 2 sausages, fried bread, baked beans, mushrooms and a huge mug of builder's tea, which they called "Lion's Blood" :hyper:
Here's a pic of the house:
Tate House.jpg

When we were in Cheltenham in 2018, neither Tesco nor Sainsbury had any, nor did they even have a spot for it (and I know because I asked, a rarity for me).

I heard about it every morning at breakfast from MrsT, because she was packing some PGT decaf along and I’d laughed her, pointing out she was re-importing tea back to the UK - “They’ll have it there, duh!” :laugh:
Must have been the Sainsburys and Tesco ‘Local’ their little corner shop version for groceries.

The main Sainsburys in Cheltenham on Tewkesbury road sells five different brands of decaf tea including two sizes of PG tips and a decaf Earl Grey too.

The mini supermarkets in towns aren’t great but theres always a big version usually only 10 minutes or so from the centre that will have everything you need thats worth driving to.

Must have been the Sainsburys and Tesco ‘Local’ their little corner shop version for groceries.
The Sainsburys was the smaller one, the Tesco was a big one. It was the first place we went as soon as we got to the hotel (which is our usual habit).

The Sainsburys was the smaller one, the Tesco was a big one. It was the first place we went as soon as we got to the hotel (which is our usual habit).
A habit I share but it’s always the big supermarket just before I arrive, has to be because good gluten free ranges are only stocked in large supermarkets 👍

A habit I share but it’s always the big supermarket just before I arrive, has to be because good gluten free ranges are only stocked in large supermarkets 👍

Gluten Free is a hot trend in the US. Even people who have no problems with gluten are going Gluten Free because it's "healthy." It's not hard to find here at all.

CD

I've never been a tea drinker (preferring coffee).

However, my experiences in China in the late 90s I shall never forget. Whenever having a meeting with the Client or a supplier/subcontractor we were served green tea. It was basically a cup or mug of hot water with a handful of green leaves thrown in. And it was considered impolite to refuse. It took me many weeks to learn to suck the liquid with my teeth clenched to prevent the leaves getting into my mouth and throat.

Two pages of this thread and nobody has yet mentioned the most important aspect of tea - the colour it is served at, and why some freaks actually put the milk in the cup first.
Very important. My personal choice is that it be served deep orangey-brown, with sugar, and you should be able to stand a teaspoon up in it.
Just googled to see if the milk thing was an aristocratic or plebby thing. Apparently, the milk went in first in the 17th and 18th centuries, because the china cups were so delicate, excessive heat would crack them, so the milk cooled the tea down.
For flavoured teas, like Earl Grey, Lapsang Souchong, etc., no milk is required. However, if that's what rocks your boat, then fine!

Very important. My personal choice is that it be served deep orangey-brown, with sugar, and you should be able to stand a teaspoon up in it.
Just googled to see if the milk thing was an aristocratic or plebby thing. Apparently, the milk went in first in the 17th and 18th centuries, because the china cups were so delicate, excessive heat would crack them, so the milk cooled the tea down.
For flavoured teas, like Earl Grey, Lapsang Souchong, etc., no milk is required. However, if that's what rocks your boat, then fine!
The correct shade for a cup of English Breakfast Tea can be found in the handy colour chart below:

He-Man.png

Two pages of this thread and nobody has yet mentioned the most important aspect of tea - the colour it is served at, and why some freaks actually put the milk in the cup first.

The color of tea when I brew it is dark. Not as dark as coffee, but darker than what you get from a teabag in a cup of somewhat hot water.

As for dairy... not in my tea. Not first in the cup, not last, not ever.

Sugar or good local honey only in my tea.

CD

Apparently, the milk went in first in the 17th and 18th centuries, because the china cups were so delicate, excessive heat would crack them, so the milk cooled the tea down.

I think that the tea produces a different result with milk first (something about an emulsion?). I may be inventing this.

Back
Top Bottom