Things you do wrong in the kitchen that you refuse to change

I had a coworker who ate McDonalds burgers the wrong way...here in Portugal the top burger bread has sesame seeds on top. You usually eat the burger with the top bread facing opposite you, and the bottom bread facing you. She ate it the other way around.

Also, don't get me started on people who bite the entire KitKat, instead of eating it one bar at a time...

I sometimes store bread in the fridge, that’s supposed to be a big no-no.

I do the same with tomatoes and cucumbers - that’s supposed to destroy their flavor and texture, but that’s been debunked more than once (just bring them back up to room temp before eating), so that’s what I do.

I also wash mushrooms - that’s supposed to cause them to go all soggy from absorbing water, but that’s also been proven a myth, so I wash them.

I sometimes store bread in the fridge, that’s supposed to be a big no-no.

I do the same with tomatoes and cucumbers - that’s supposed to destroy their flavor and texture, but that’s been debunked more than once (just bring them back up to room temp before eating), so that’s what I do.

I also wash mushrooms - that’s supposed to cause them to go all soggy from absorbing water, but that’s also been proven a myth, so I wash them.
Interesting you mention the tomatoes because there was that same discussion yesterday on Kenji Lopez-Alt instagram account. I like to keep tomatoes in the fridge too because I use them mostly on salads, and I can't stand a lukewarm tomato on my salad.

I apparently hold my chef knife wrong. But I can’t pinch the back of the blade.

It's not really cooking but it is assembling: when I eat cornflakes I first fill the cup with milk and then add the cornflakes...I just don't conceive of the opposite, haha

You eat cornflakes from a cup? :ohmy:

I suppose I put the cornflakes (or other cereal) in a bowl first so that its easier to judge how much milk to add. But thinking about it, there is no reason not to do it the other way.

There's nothing I will refuse to change if new information comes along that convinces me a different way is better.

I used to believe the 'searing meat seals in juices' and the 'never wash mushrooms' myths which I now know aren't true and when I found out that they largely aren't, I changed my behaviour.

Pasta: al dente for me.
Bread in fridge: never - unless it's the last one or two bits and I'm probably not going to make a sandwich with them, but turn them into breadcrumbs or toast.
Rice: stir fry with butter when making French-style pilaf before putting them in rice cooker with stock/bay leaf, etc. For Asian/Chinese white rice, rinse a few times (I don't bother with trying to get clear water, because that will take many washes, waste a lot of water an all I really want to do is make the rice clean) then into rice cooker.
Big Mac: I eat it normally, sesame seeds facing upwards.
Cornflakes: I don't like them. They look like scabs. :) I don't eat breakfast cereal in general - the whole idea of these things in cold milk is totally unappetising.

Another one…I don’t always strictly practice mise en place - maybe 75% of the time.

Rice via absorption method. No salt.
Whatever goes with it has all the savoury, spices etc.
Knives on a magnetic block. Handles up. Otherwise they don't fit and I like it better that way

Interesting you mention the tomatoes because there was that same discussion yesterday on Kenji Lopez-Alt instagram account. I like to keep tomatoes in the fridge too because I use them mostly on salads, and I can't stand a lukewarm tomato on my salad.

I keep my tomatoes on the counter until I slice into one. Then, I'll put the remaining bit in the fridge. If you pull it out of the fridge and let it warm up for a little while, it tastes fine.

CD

My mise en place is put all the bottles etc. on the left side. Move to right side as used.

I hadn't heard of doing that before --the moving bottles part. I use mine en place all the time, but that means doing all my prep, and placing ingredients in bowls to near my cooking area before I start to cook.

CD

Back
Top Bottom