Things you do wrong in the kitchen that you refuse to change

I hadn't heard of doing that before --the moving bottles part. I use mine en place all the time, but that means doing all my prep, and placing ingredients in bowls to near my cooking area before I start to cook.

CD
I can’t be bothered with measuring everything ahead. Then washing all the dishes after. I just started doing it this way. At the end if anything is still on the left I forgot to put in … taste. If it tastes ok then great! If not I tried something new. Lol

I learned to do mise en place about 15 years ago, and now, it's done meticulously before I start cooking. It really does make a difference.
The double sink is right next to where I prepare food, so when the food item is put into the pan/pot/whaatever, the dish goes straight into the sink

Inspired by this article ("5 Things I do "Wrong" in the Kitchen That I Just Refuse to Change") I wanted to ask: what are some things you do "wrong" in the kitchen, but that work for you?

I'll go first:

- Not salting rice or pasta. Growing up my parents never salted pasta water or rice. I like salted pasta, and salted rice, but I like the unsalted versions too, and they're a lot healthier, cheaper and easier to make.
- Overcooking pasta. No one in my family likes pasta al dente, myself included. I did eat a ton of al dente pasta in Italy, and I still prefer the texture of my overcooked pasta.

What are some of yours?

I put olive oil in the pan when I cook pasta a chef on the TV said it was to stop the pasta sticking together, rightly or wrongly that us what I do.

I put olive oil in the pan when I cook pasta a chef on the TV said it was to stop the pasta sticking together, rightly or wrongly that us what I do.

I used to do that, but stopped.

The oil in the water will coat the pasta, preventing sauce from soaking in. All you need to do to keep the pasta from sticking together it stir it from time to time.

CD

The oil in the water will coat the pasta, preventing sauce from soaking in. All you need to do to keep the pasta from sticking together it stir it from time to time.
Yep - I was told to use oil in the pasta, until about 20 years ago when I saw the light:sun::sun::sun::sun:
True what CD says. It makes the sauce slide off the pasta.

Back
Top Bottom