Recipe Today's Pantry Tour - Sausage Pasta with a Cream Sauce

blades

Local time
3:37 PM
sausagepasta.jpg

While cooking is always fun for me, it is especially entertaining to start preparing the meal without a plan. I looked in the freezer for something to thaw for dinner and noticed I had three packages of Johnsonville hot Italian sausage. To cull the supply I brought one of them up to the kitchen with no idea what I would do with it. I often tour my fridge and pantry to find things that I think might go well together and hot sausage should be no problem. Sometimes this process results in failure but sometimes something good comes from it. That is what happened today so I though I had better memorialize the recipe in case I want to repeat it. Please note that I rarely measure things. i just get a feel for the proper amounts from experience and from taste testing. I'll bet some of you do the same. So the quantities in the ingredient list are just guesses. Please apply your own experience in case I missed the measurement mark.

The dish is basically penne pasta with the sausages removed from their casings and cut up into bite sized pieces, some veggies and a sauce which is a basic alfredo sauce. Nothing fancy just a simple and quick dish that ended up being wife approved. This was made to feed just the two of us. Here we go.

Ingredients

1/2 box of penne pasta or whatever pasta you find in your pantry.

1/2 red bell pepper coarsely chopped
1 small onion chopped
About a dozen asparagus spears
4 cloves of garlic (I think it is nearly impossible to put too much garlic in a dish.)
2 johnsonville hot Italian sausages removed from their casiings and cut into bite sized pieces
2 healthy pinches of salt and about 4 cranks of the pepper mill. Your mill may require more or less. You know the drill.

1/2 pint of heavy cream
A cup of grated parmesan cheese.
One more clove of garlic to nail down the garlicness of the dish
a healthy pinch of salt
Anything else you might put in your Afredo sauce. I threw in a little basil for no particular reason.

Instructions.

You want three cooking vessels, a large pot to boil the pasta, a small sauce pan to cook the asparagus and later the sauce and a deep skillet to saute or stir fry and combine the ingredients. Start the water boiling for the pasta and for the asparagus spears. Then heat the skillet and put a little cooking oil in it. Add the pepper, onion, salt and pepper. As soon as the asparagus is done, drain and put it with the other ingredients in the skillet and add the sausage and garlic. Use the pot drained of its water and asparagus to cook the sauce ingredients - cream, parmesan, garlic, salt and whatever you like in your Alfredo sauce. By the time the pasta is done you should have the sauce reduced about in half. Drain the pasta and put it in the skillet with the rest of everything and mix it all together. Plate the pasta and pour the sauce over it. I hope you like the meal.

Hot Italian sausage, as you know, is pretty spicy so there isn't a need to add much flavoring to the dish. If you choose to use mild sausage you may want to throw in some red pepper flakes and some acid like wine or vinegar to ensure the dish isn't bland. Happy cooking.

Alfredo sauce is not common in the UK (to my knowledge), I think its American Italian? It sounds very good.

When I'm cooking asparagus I always do it in the microwave these days . It a vegetable that works really well in the microwave. It saves an extra pan and results in beautiful verdant green asparagus. It takes about 5 mins with a little water added. I use a plastic container. Some I cooked earlier:

fullsizeoutput_74ed.jpeg

I often tour my fridge and pantry to find things that I think might go well together

I like the idea of 'touring' although you would be hard pushed to tour my freezer, fridge or food cupboards as it they are usually so jam packed its more like an excavation!

MG, Alfredo is basically American. There are a couple restaurants in Roma that make it, but with no cream. The American version uses cream. I'm not a big fan of Alfredo sauce, but I don't hate it. I just don't have it very often. It is very popular in the US -- just not for me.

CD

I do all my veggies in microwave. Except potatoes for mashed. I microwave potatoes to be fried in some way.

I don't do all my veggies in the microwave, but I do some of them. I mostly use the microwave for steaming veggies. It is fast, and works very well, keeping the veggies "al dente" while they heat through.

For asparagus, my preferred cooking method is on the grill/BBQ. I lightly coat them with OO, salt and black pepper, and give them a light char on the grill. But, for steaming asparagus, the microwave is a great choice.

CD

Yep - you can find it everywhere, in cans, in jars, in pouches. I seem to remember it's got cream and probably garlic in it.
The "original", from Rome, was basically "fettucine al burro", with grated parmesan.
Fettucine al burro is pasta with butter and cheese. It originated in Italy long ago. I use it regularly and add lemon juice to it. Alfredo sauce originated in a New York restaurant and was developed by a chef named - wait for it - Alfredo. Basically it is cream, grated parmensan cheese and garlic. You can buy fettucine Alfredo in almost any American Italian restaurant despite the fact that the sauce itself is an American thing.

Last edited:
Alfredo sauce is not common in the UK (to my knowledge), I think its American Italian? It sounds very good.

When I'm cooking asparagus I always do it in the microwave these days . It a vegetable that works really well in the microwave. It saves an extra pan and results in beautiful verdant green asparagus. It takes about 5 mins with a little water added. I use a plastic container. Some I cooked earlier:

View attachment 105241

I like the idea of 'touring' although you would be hard pushed to tour my freezer, fridge or food cupboards as it they are usually so jam packed its more like an excavation!
Cooking veggies in the microwave makes perfect sense. Boiling them in water is a habit I should probably abandon. I have a Spanish made plastic microwave cooking vessel with a top that locks and has a vent that can be opened or closed. I use it for heating leftovers. No reason it can't cook raw ingredients.

Making a trip to the supermarket is something we do only once per week because it requires an hour round trip drive and spends a half day. We use our freezer all the time for keeping bread, batches of soup, meats and other things in storage. We have a whole turkey in it at the moment as well as packages of fresh yeast going from large to small. We could do just fine feeding ourselves for a month from the freezer and pantry without replacing anything. So, like you, we have a decent supply of ingredients on hand to tour all the time.

Making a trip to the supermarket is something we do only once per week because it requires an hour round trip drive and spends a half day.

I haven't been inside a supermarket for several years. For 26 years now I've used supermarket delivery (since 1997). Its big in the UK but I appreciate its not so easy in the US. I rejoiced back in the day when it started: 'Hurrah, No more big shops with kids in tow, no more loading and unloading!'

Like you I could live out of my store cupboards and freezer (probably for many months). In fact, I've many times vowed I will do so but always failed.

It got a lot bigger around covid. So much so you couldn’t get a time slot for days sometimes.

Fettucine al burro is pasta with butter and cheese. It originated in Italy long ago. I use it regularly and add lemon juice to it. Alfredo sauce originated in a New York restaurant and was developed by a chef named - wait for it - Alfredo. Basically it is cream, grated parmensan cheese and garlic. You can buy fettucine Alfredo in almost any American Italian restaurant despite the fact that the sauce itself is an American thing.

I watched a YouTube video a few months ago that was ver well done. The YouTuber is French, and looks for original and Authentic dishes, then tries to make them. In this episode, he goes to the place where Fettuccini Alfredo/al burro was born.

He doesn't really talk much about the American version. Watch if you are curious (and can see it where you are).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOQurydi0xs

BTW TastyR, he did another an episode at Pepin's home.

CD

BTW TastyR, he did another an episode at Pepin's home.
I’ve seen that. He was on a quest to make JP’s omelette. It’s another one of those things I like about JP - the omelette was far from perfect, but JP gave him high marks and encouragement regardless. Pure class.

I’ve seen that. He was on a quest to make JP’s omelette. It’s another one of those things I like about JP - the omelette was far from perfect, but JP gave him high marks and encouragement regardless. Pure class.

His omelet looked pretty darn good to me.

CD

Back
Top Bottom