Recipe Today's Pantry Tour - Sausage Pasta with a Cream Sauce

Fettucine al burro is pasta with butter and cheese
Nope. fettucine al burro is fettucine with butter. Alfredo di Lelio added parmesan to his offering for his pregnant wife in 1908, in Rome.
But hey, who cares?
I'd eat it with butter, with butter and parmigiano, with butter, cheese , garlic, cream - it's all good!:D:D

I haven't been inside a supermarket for several years. For 26 years now I've used supermarket delivery (since 1997). Its big in the UK but I appreciate its not so easy in the US. I rejoiced back in the day when it started: 'Hurrah, No more big shops with kids in tow, no more loading and unloading!'

Like you I could live out of my store cupboards and freezer (probably for many months). In fact, I've many times vowed I will do so but always failed.
We do grocery shopping and delivery service. For me the problem would be the need to plan, write menus, check inventory and order stock. That is the way to do it right but I don't do it that way. I peruse the ailes. When i find something interesting I think about things I could do with it and put it in the cart. That's why we have so much food stored at the house. There are things we consider basic pantry items and buy them nearly every week or two. Things like onions, tomatoes, potatos, rice, avocados (no kidding,) butter, flour, sugar garlic and so on. I could do that over the phone. I can't peruse the aisles over the phone.

When i find something interesting I think about things I could do with it and put it in the cart.
There's two of us. I spent $50 in a Lebanese store on Tuesday, and came home with kalamata olives, dried olives and cracked olives, as well as a large jar of pickled wild cucumbers. Why? I don't know, probably because they were there.
The same day I was in a very expensive supermarket, hanging around waiting for the wife. Found large tins of Italian tomatoes at only $3 each, so I bought some. I'd never have found that on the internet.

I could do that over the phone. I can't peruse the aisles over the phone.

I'd never have found that on the internet.

That’s a big thing for me - finding the surprises, things I’d never see in the app/on the website.

Considering that I also go to ALDI, they have that one aisle of ever-changing home items and specials/clearance food items - that has to be gone through in person to shop it properly.

I'd go to the Kroger in Madeira when I was in Ohio. Just wander around the store. I'd ALWAYS come back with some cheese, reduced by 50%, or a tin of something, whatever. I'd be there for ages!

The Kroger app doesn't list the "Manager's Specials" in the meat department, either. Meats that are about to hit their "sell by" date are dirt cheap.

CD

I think exploration and experimentation are key factors in enjoying cooking. I try new things every week. Some fail but most of them succeed. One can view cooking as a chore or an adventure. Adventures are more interesting than chores for me.

I peruse the ailes. When i find something interesting I think about things I could do with it and put it in the cart.

Ah! But I do just that with on-line shopping. In fact I'm guilty of buying too many things that way. I look at what is in season and can't resist the images.

That’s a big thing for me - finding the surprises, things I’d never see in the app/on the website.

Well its the same for me on-line. I find all manner of things I'd never have found otherwise. Recently:

Screen Shot 2023-10-01 at 19.35.21.png

Last edited:
Ah! But I do just that with on-line shopping. In fact I'm guilty of buying too many things that way. I look at what is in season and can't resist the images.
I can’t do that online, though, because I don’t know what to browse for. Online, you have to know “rump roast” or “sumo oranges,” and in the store, I can just happen upon things.

I can’t do that online, though, because I don’t know what to browse for. Online, you have to know “rump roast” or “sumo oranges,” and in the store, I can just happen upon things.

I look at 'what's in season' or simply 'vegetables' (for example) and scroll.

I'm very anti-social really...

I like to chat to owners if small food shops of food stalls though.
I will cop to enjoying chatting with the women who work in the grocery stores. I think I have a running dialogue with the various women at my local Kroger; every time I go in, I see these two or those two, and I’ll either ask them for an update on things or they’ll ask me. It’s like a running serial. :laugh:

ALDI - they keep their employees cracking, no time to chat, plus there’re only about two in there at a time, but at Kroger, I might bump into as many as 10 different women in a single shopping trip.

I know…shameless, but I don’t care! 🕺

Back
Top Bottom