Travel Plans For 2023

If anyone would like a nice little documentary on the Pyrenees one is in the process of having episodes uploaded to youtube - Portillo in the Pyrenees. It’s a properly produced programme so the sound and picture quality are good, it‘s worth watching on a large television for the lovely views.

Of course you’ll have to put aside any distaste you have for politicians to watch it but all in all Portillo does an alright job. The observatory in it has made it onto my hit list!

View: https://youtu.be/6UC0oDOijDM?si=LBUyT1Uo5jtFdHb0

I’ve seen less of that on this cruise than on the one I took in 2012. We had the displeasure of being sat every night next to a couple and her sister, and boy, they were something else, right down to addressing the fully-grown 30-something Filipino waiter as “boy.”
I'm sorry about that. I've always wanted to go on a cruise: but a short one. 4 or 5 days. Having to put up with a few wallies for a couple of weeks would drive me nuts. I'd spend all day in the Cigar Bar with caseydog
:laugh: :laugh:

I'm sorry about that. I've always wanted to go on a cruise: but a short one. 4 or 5 days. Having to put up with a few wallies for a couple of weeks would drive me nuts. I'd spend all day in the Cigar Bar with caseydog
:laugh: :laugh:

The problem with short cruises is that they tend to be "booze cruises," where younger people spend the whole cruise drunk and loud.

CD

My bestie dafyd and sharyn are going on a cruise tomorrow from Sydney to Melbourne where they go to Melbourne cup. Then cruise back to Sydney. Away 6? Days. I know they will get their money's worth in free booze all trip.

Russ

Having to put up with a few wallies for a couple of weeks would drive me nuts.
They were really obnoxious - they had a suite and were top-level in status and wanted everyone to know it.

What they didn’t know was that MrsT was also top-level in status, and because it was a “working” cruise for her, she had access to everything he had, and more.

After a couple of nights of, “We did this, we did that, but of course, you’re not allowed in there,” MrsT laid out a couple of things that she did (like a bridge tour) that they didn’t get, and it almost shut him up - “Ya just gotta know the right people… :whistling: ” was all she coyly replied. :laugh:

They were a lot like this couple, but less condescendingly pleasant:

View: https://youtu.be/U8Kum8OUTuk?si=4U5We2U88578aGbO

Warning - some content offensive, but it’s meant to highlight the crassness of Harry and his Friend. :laugh:

Some of it may not have aged so well given how life has changed since it was filmed but sooooo funny.
“I’m considerably richer than yaauuu” is a line Mr SSOAP and I still whisper to each other when the company is gauche.
That and “they were a bit Hyacinth Bucket” from Keeping Up Appearances 😆

Last time we were in a nice but small hotel we got lumbered with people we nicknamed Mr and Mrs Dubai because no matter what they encountered there was always better in Dubai, you poor things living in England.
Every sentence started with “In Dubai..” 🙄

The barman who was someone with great skills observed our wincing pain and somehow managed to ensure we were always seated away from them. Even in the bar he would politely suggest seating in a direction he knew was out if their eyeline and if we were accosted there (where you’re free to sit wherever) he would find a way to pull myself and Mr SSOAP away. Top man.

As we’re headed home tomorrow morning, a couple of things that I never got around to that made me laugh a little:

Naples (and Rome) still has lots of public telephones on the streets, which was kind of neat. At one, a group of Gen Z kids were taking turns posing with it, pretending to make phone calls. It made me 😊 and 😞 at the same time.

Our all-day tour guide in Rome was excellent. He liked talking about languages, which is something I like (well, playing with words, anyway), and he was making us laugh.

He spoke wonderfully-accented English, very languidly, softly. He said there were three English-speaking places that still gave him trouble:

“Scotland, Ireland…I have trouble with the way they, uh, push their words together. They push them, like three words into one. I can get maybe 75% of what they say, but that’s about it.

“The worst, though…the Australians! I can’t even get 40%. Maybe 30%. They’re…I don’t know what they’re doing. It is a mystery what they say, but they’re nice, they apologize to me, and I tell them, ‘No, it’s your language, don’t apologize, I should apologize!’ But seriously, I had an Australian couple in my car a month ago, maybe, and for 11 hours. 11hours. My brain was sick after that, like I had a brain sweat from listening so hard. I had to take three days off from driving.”

Then we talked a little about other languages, and my favorite, given my honest love of it, was his succinct assessment of the German language (which I truly do love to hear spoken):

“German. The words try to kill you.”

:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom