Travel Plans For 2024

blades have your driven H-3 freeway from Halawa to Aikahi?
Now, that's a view when you come out of the tunnel. THAT'S where I'm from, THAT'S where I was raised, right there in front of you!
MAN!!
When they were building that, we could sit on our back lanai and see it.
I don't think I have a pic of that, but can "Google" it.
Truthfully I haven't been on Oahu since any freeways existed. The road around the island was a two lane highway. I drove from Honolulu to see the waves at Sunset Beach on the opposite end of the island and back. I made a couple of trips to Hanauma Bay. That is the total of my Oahu highway driving. I never say Kaneohe. I think it is a nice place to live. I can see why you miss it.

Truthfully I haven't been on Oahu since any freeways existed. The road around the island was a two lane highway. I drove from Honolulu to see the waves at Sunset Beach on the opposite end of the island and back. I made a couple of trips to Hanauma Bay. That is the total of my Oahu highway driving. I never say Kaneohe. I think it is a nice place to live. I can see why you miss it.
It still basically is :giggle:
From Kaneohe to Waialua, via Kamehameha Highway, it's 2 lanes, hugging the water and the road is regularly closed due to the Ocean flooding it!
AH, home.

As we wind down 2023, we've already started to make plans for 2024.
This will be a milestone birthday for myself and I have declared that we shall go back home!

View attachment 106019

This is the view from the lanai of the condo that we rent each time we go back to Hawaii.
By the way, we first lived in that tall build, all the way to the left. This is referred to as The Gold Coast.
Right on the waters edge, gorgeous!

Have you made plans for 2024 yet?
It has taken me THREE MONTHS to get my DH on board with these travel plans!
I purchased our airline tickets TODAY!!!
SO EXCITED! :woot:
He kept dragging his feet with the excuse of , "what if something happens to me while we're there?"
UMMMMM
The same thing that we would do here!
:facepalm:
What better place than in Hawaii to need medical attention? They have MUCH better care and facilities there than here in Cowboyville Arizona!!!

Here's a short video that I made the last time we rented this lovely condo at the farthest edge of Waikiki, it's really in the residential neighborhood that boarders it.

Can't beat this view!

It has taken me THREE MONTHS to get my DH on board with these travel plans!
I purchased our airline tickets TODAY!!!
SO EXCITED! :woot:
He kept dragging his feet with the excuse of , "what if something happens to me while we're there?"
UMMMMM
The same thing that we would do here!
:facepalm:
What better place than in Hawaii to need medical attention? They have MUCH better care and facilities there than here in Cowboyville Arizona!!!

Here's a short video that I made the last time we rented this lovely condo at the farthest edge of Waikiki, it's really in the residential neighborhood that boarders it.

Can't beat this view!

Looks fantastic 👏
Will you get the same floor/apartment as last time? It's lovely to be high enough up that you get a good view.
How long will you be there for?

Looks fantastic 👏
Will you get the same floor/apartment as last time? It's lovely to be high enough up that you get a good view.
How long will you be there for?
Yes, we rent this condo from an individual/private owner from Canada. They don't have to pay the transient accommodation taxes and therefore does not pass that on to us. They ask a very fare price. Most Vacation Rentals are a minimum stay of 7-30 days, as put upon them by the buildings HOA rules, so we usually stay the 30 days, sometimes longer.
We rent a car, although, if we stayed "in town" we wouldn't really need to. The public transportation on Oahu has been voted among the best in the country. They even offer a 7 day pass for $30 or single fare is $3.00 - not bad.
Oh, did I mention that this is a Vacation Rental? It means it has everything you'd need. Just arrive with your clothes and you're set. Just replace what you use, ie paper goods, soaps, etc.
This is a one bedroom apartment, I think it's about 700 sq. foot. with I'd say 130 sq. foot lanai; full kitchen & bathroom.
It has a stack-up washer and dryer in the apartment, so we simply pack a weeks worth of clothes and wash as we go.
I mean, it's Hawaii, your daily attire is swimsuit, shorts, shirt and slippers/zoris/flip flops/sandals - not alot of clothes basically.
TastyReuben you could wear minimal clothing! :laugh: But don't forget the sunscreen!!!

Even though DH was dragging his feet, when he gave me the word, "go ahead and book the airline ... " he said that once it was done, he too was excited :woot:

CAN'T WAIT!!! HOME!

Yes, we rent this condo from an individual/private owner from Canada. They don't have to pay the transient accommodation taxes and therefore does not pass that on to us. They ask a very fare price. Most Vacation Rentals are a minimum stay of 7-30 days, as put upon them by the buildings HOA rules, so we usually stay the 30 days, sometimes longer.
We rent a car, although, if we stayed "in town" we wouldn't really need to. The public transportation on Oahu has been voted among the best in the country. They even offer a 7 day pass for $30 or single fare is $3.00 - not bad.
Oh, did I mention that this is a Vacation Rental? It means it has everything you'd need. Just arrive with your clothes and you're set. Just replace what you use, ie paper goods, soaps, etc.
This is a one bedroom apartment, I think it's about 700 sq. foot. with I'd say 130 sq. foot lanai; full kitchen & bathroom.
It has a stack-up washer and dryer in the apartment, so we simply pack a weeks worth of clothes and wash as we go.
I mean, it's Hawaii, your daily attire is swimsuit, shorts, shirt and slippers/zoris/flip flops/sandals - not alot of clothes basically.
TastyReuben you could wear minimal clothing! :laugh: But don't forget the sunscreen!!!

Even though DH was dragging his feet, when he gave me the word, "go ahead and book the airline ... " he said that once it was done, he too was excited :woot:

CAN'T WAIT!!! HOME!

Very happy for you. It sounds like it's where your hearts at.
A month is a nice length of time 👍

My 2 weeks in the smiling coast Gambia is almost over. For me it was the first time traveling into a 3rd world country as a grown up.
I'll post photos when I have wifi again
the first few days were quite stressfull. My gambian friend constantly bragged about how expensive everything is when I'm out with him, what really stressed me, later I tried to relax my mind and be happy with whatever he says.
Our rented Porsche Cayenne, I hate luxury SUV, had some problems here and there. And to see poverty like that reminded me of my childhood.
Now that I've got a good job I forgot how painful it's being poor. The kids constantly ask for sweets and money, what made me upset first, then I've seen how the people are working in Gambia and I understood why even people from Gambia, who came to europe, hate their own people. Most people have very unnecessary jobs, like selling veggies from the farm on a street with 15 other vendors who sell the exact same stuff and they're sitting there for hours doing almost no business and are more or less doing Meditation.
They're super open though, many people greeted you and my gambian friend couldn't leave the house without greeting 5 friends on his way.
The food my friends family made was very original, but to be honest, you can get better in Berlin with the same authentic flavor. So I went straight to the markets and brought the stuff I would like to eat every day. And the supplied water did hurt my throat a little bit.
The vegetables they're growing on small farms by hand are all organic without any pesticides, wow was I impressed and they taste better than what we have in the EU.
It's funny how I went to Africa and thought everything will be different there and yet we have similar areas in Berlin, where you can find the same cultural openness.
I can suggest everyone the smiling coast, they have also very low malaria sickness.
My favorite places are the beach, the gambian river, the local gym and the garden of the house I rented, where I relaxed a lot. Just don't rent a car if you don't have a lot of money, many people try to scam you with European prices.

My 2 weeks in the smiling coast Gambia is almost over. For me it was the first time traveling into a 3rd world country as a grown up.
Welcome home!

As to the poverty, I had that same feeling when we went to Jamaica years ago - driving through areas where people were literally sheltering in cardboard boxes, as we were on our way to a resort…it made it very hard to enjoy.

My first therapist told me I should constantly manage my happiness, as I'm pretty neurotic.
So I told myself the world is a better place with me being happy, no matter the circumstances.
And as 9 of 10 gambian people don't seem to have a problem with me, yes there're a few criminals around here, I tried to be as happy as I can.

It became more easy to grasp when I remembered how my childhood was and that it's partly their own fault, you can become everything here as well, you just need to do the right things.
Thanks for welcoming me back, I won’t spent much time here, as I need to work again soon.
Love you all ❤️

the first few days were quite stressfull. My gambian friend constantly bragged about how expensive everything is when I'm out with him, what really stressed me, later I tried to relax my mind and be happy with whatever he says.
Our rented Porsche Cayenne, I hate luxury SUV, had some problems here and there. And to see poverty like that reminded me of my childhood.
Now that I've got a good job I forgot how painful it's being poor. The kids constantly ask for sweets and money, what made me upset first, then I've seen how the people are working in Gambia and I understood why even people from Gambia, who came to europe, hate their own people. Most people have very unnecessary jobs, like selling veggies from the farm on a street with 15 other vendors who sell the exact same stuff and they're sitting there for hours doing almost no business and are more or less doing Meditation.
They're super open though, many people greeted you and my gambian friend couldn't leave the house without greeting 5 friends on his way.
The food my friends family made was very original, but to be honest, you can get better in Berlin with the same authentic flavor. So I went straight to the markets and brought the stuff I would like to eat every day. And the supplied water did hurt my throat a little bit.
The vegetables they're growing on small farms by hand are all organic without any pesticides, wow was I impressed and they taste better than what we have in the EU.
It's funny how I went to Africa and thought everything will be different there and yet we have similar areas in Berlin, where you can find the same cultural openness.
I can suggest everyone the smiling coast, they have also very low malaria sickness.
My favorite places are the beach, the gambian river, the local gym and the garden of the house I rented, where I relaxed a lot. Just don't rent a car if you don't have a lot of money, many people try to scam you with European prices.

I actually like my German luxury SUV, but there is no way I'd want to drive one around in a city/country full of poverty. I wouldn't wear flashy clothing, either. I would feel like I was giving the locals a poke in the eye.

CD

We’re looking at going over to Pennsylvania (York-Hanover-Gettysburg area) in December, looking at more houses/communities and experiencing the area during the overall holiday season.

MrsT already has a 2025 cruise booked for us - leaving Quebec City and ending in Boston 10 days later, with a few days in Boston added on, set for Sep-Oct.

We’re looking at going over to Pennsylvania (York-Hanover-Gettysburg area) in December, looking at more houses/communities and experiencing the area during the overall holiday season.

MrsT already has a 2025 cruise booked for us - leaving Quebec City and ending in Boston 10 days later, with a few days in Boston added on, set for Sep-Oct.
Sounds good but I'm a little concerned you only have European cruise attire, is new holiday clothing needed?

It has been such a 💩 few years for DH & I that I feel like we need to travel, get out of here!
I've just about got him on board with taking a short road trip to Las Vegas 🥳
We like this small-ish resort outside of town that is away from all the nonsense.
My "ace" is baseball season has started and there's a couple of stadiums he'd like to go to.
Me, I want to eat, play Bingo, Bowl and shop for "Hawaii Foods"!
OH!
AND my beloved Zippy's Restaurant opened their first place ever outside of Hawaii, Next Stop Zippy's is the saying...

It has been such a 💩 few years for DH & I that I feel like we need to travel, get out of here!
I've just about got him on board with taking a short road trip to Las Vegas 🥳
We like this small-ish resort outside of town that is away from all the nonsense.
My "ace" is baseball season has started and there's a couple of stadiums he'd like to go to.
Me, I want to eat, play Bingo, Bowl and shop for "Hawaii Foods"!
OH!
AND my beloved Zippy's Restaurant opened their first place ever outside of Hawaii, Next Stop Zippy's is the saying...
Sorry to hear it’s been a bit 💩 but it’s great to hear your having a break! 👏 💃 🕺 🎉
Las Vegas is on our hit list so do share! 😊

Back
Top Bottom