Ukraine

This morning we have seen the re-emergence of news on the BBC news channel.

Not on BBC1 or ITV it seems...

I was listening to a phone in on LBC (radio) today and a number of people phoned in about the fact there was an assumption by the media that we are all (in the UK) grieving 'the whole nation is grieving'. The calls were polite but pointed out that quite a large proportion of people are not emotionally affected by the Queen's death at all. I was thinking how me and my partner met with his sister on Friday (the day after the Queen's death). The subject wasn't even mentioned between us and yet we met for 2 hours. Similarly, my daughter was here on Sunday. She mentioned it once - just to say she was pleased there was a Bank holiday on the day of the funeral because it means she gets a paid day off!

I'm now watching ITV news and so far its been solely about the Queen/King. As was the local ITV news. 🤷‍♀️

It does look like Ch 4 news is covering Ukraine tonight though.

Looking at international news sites, it is now clear that Ukraine is keeping away from any kind of commentary on their progress, which is both right, and explains few updates on media.
CNN does have some interesting pieces, especially interviews from liberated Ukrainians around Kharkiv. They express how shambolic the Russians were, saying they lived like pigs, and many soldiers soon realised they were being lied to. Then when the Ukrainian counter attack started the Russian officers fled leaving the men to fend for themselves.

We can only hope that this shambolic cowardice is typical of the Russian forces and a conclusion is reached speedily.

From The Guardian (mostly trustworthy)

Russian intellegence officers in Crimea who have been there since 2014 are suddenly moving their families back to Russia.

Flights from Moscow to Belgrade, Tel Aviv and Istanbul have quadrupled since Putin announced "mobilization" of citizens (basically conscription) to replace depleted soldiers in the Ukraine war. These are some of the few places Russians can go right now.

CD

Flights from Moscow to Belgrade, Tel Aviv and Istanbul have quadrupled since Putin announced "mobilization" of citizens (basically conscription) to replace depleted soldiers in the Ukraine war. These are some of the few places Russians can go right now.

CD

This just in... Russian airlines have stopped selling tickets to Russian men aged 18 to 65 unless they can provide evidence of approval to travel from the Ministry of Defense.

CD

Well, seems Russians have taken up the British sport of "queuing."

Social media video from Russia's land borders with several countries shows long lines of traffic trying to leave the country on the day after President Vladimir Putin announced a "partial mobilization."

There were queues at border crossings into Kazakhstan, Georgia and Mongolia. One video showed dozens of vehicles lining up at the Zemo Larsi/Verkhny Lars checkpoint on the Georgia-Russia border overnight Wednesday. That line appears to have grown longer Thursday. One video showed a long queue stretching into the mountains behind the crossing, with a man commenting that it was five to six kilometers long.

Hopefully there'll be an end soon.

Whatever consequences the Russians got, they didn't not stop, this war can't be about making russia great again. The beginning was so absurd. It's bigger than russia, now that they've said something about nuclear weapons. I wonder if this war will escalate even more and my morals tell me I cannot be a good person, if there’s a massacre going on just a few days by car away.

Hopefully there'll be an end soon.

Whatever consequences the Russians got, they didn't not stop, this war can't be about making russia great again. The beginning was so absurd. It's bigger than russia, now that they've said something about nuclear weapons. I wonder if this war will escalate even more and my morals tell me I cannot be a good person, if there’s a massacre going on just a few days by car away.
They've mentioned their nukes since the beginning. Their threat is looking a little more sincere now, but Putin has backed himself in a corner where a strike on Ukraine is the only viable option to him to force a surrender, at the expense of alienating Russia from the entire world AND it's own Allies.

Putin knows attacking any NATO state would cause either a scorched earth or the entire decimation of Russia so he can't risk that unless he completely lost all his marbles in which case I think his buddies will not co operate.
All in all this is just again, very terrifying for the Ukrainians. I have no words to describe my sadness for them.

I can't re-find the link to the BBC article, sorry, but:

Russian media are shocked and bemused by the recent prisoner swap. Russia has returned US and European fighters and senior AZOV figures. These were the supposed neo-nazis that Putin claimed he was trying to save Ukraine from and wasted hundreds of Russian lives getting them out of Mariupol. So to return them so cheaply and so soon makes no sense strategically and the state propaganda news channels seem gob smacked and can't justify it.

Along with the flight of young men from Russia as noted above, it looks like mistake after mistake from Putin.

Back
Top Bottom