Using gloves when preparing food

caseydog

Local time
10:11 AM
[Mod.edit: this post and following few moved to form a new topic (MG)]

Having a sister who has been a hospital nurse for almost 40 years, the extremes of sanitary practices in the medical field are necessary. My sister doesn't have fingerprints. When she renews her drivers license, she puts her fingers on the digital print scanner, and nothing shows up. That's from how much nurses in hospitals wash their hands.

But, a hospital is full of sick people, so it is something that has to be done.

There are new studies out there that show that plastic food safety gloves in restaurant kitchens provide a false sense of security. Not wearing gloves, and regularly washing your hands is less likely to spread bacteria than wearing gloves, which probably aren't changed often enough.

As for cutting boards, one reason I have a dozen or so plastic boards is so I can cut up some raw chicken, put the cutting board into my dishwasher, wash my hands, and move on to the next cutting job. Plastic boards are sanitized in a good dishwasher, with sufficiently hot water and detergent. They don't absorb anything.

In the US, look for any kitchen tools, including cutting boards that have the "NSF" (National Science Foundation) designation on them, and you have boards safe for restaurant use. Same with other kitchen tools.

Like I said before, my BooS Block wooden board is used for cutting cooked meats for presentation and photos. I use plastic for all my food prep, and they go directly into the dishwasher after use.

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
There are new studies out there that show that plastic food safety gloves in restaurant kitchens provide a false sense of security.
I've got a friend who's the Executive chef for a large university. Gloves are mandatory, and he absolutely hates them. Firstly, he can't "feel" the food the same through a film of latex; secondly, there's a big chance of the gloves "melting" on one of his staff when touching hot pans, handles, trays, etc., thus causing unnecessary burns; thirdly, they create a false sense of security, so staff don't wash their hands as frequently and there's a risk of cross-contamination; fourthly, it's difficult to gauge the items on the chopping board with gloves on, so the gloves often get nicked, which means replacing them; finally, it's an extra, unnecessary cost for the kitchen.
In hospitals and medical institutions, absolutely necessary. But you'll see the docs and nurses use the gloves ONCE, for one particular, specific task, then discard them. A kitchen scenario is never going to be the same.

Last edited:
I love gloves for fish and anything with raw offal. These microbes start growing when you touch em.
What I don’t understand are people who get uncomfortable when they see someone else preparing their food without gloves.

I have about ten IKEA plastic cutting boards in two sizes for daily use. I can use one, and pop it right into the dishwasher.

I also have BooS Block maple cutting board that I found at Home Goods (overstock store in US) for a great price, but mostly bought it to use in food photos -- which I do on rare occasions. It has to be hand washed, and oiled with BooS Block oil, so it is NOT for daily use.

View attachment 104767

My IKEA plastic cutting boards look like this. There are two sizes... roughly 5 by 7 inches, and 12 by 18 inches.

View attachment 104776

CD

I have an old one & a new one like that!! I also have two of these green ones from Whole Foods. :whistling:
green cutting board..jpg

In hospitals and medical institutions, absolutely necessary. But you'll see the docs and nurses use the gloves ONCE, for one particular, specific task, then discard them. A kitchen scenario is never going to be the same.

Yes, my sister probably goes through half a box of gloves in a day at the hospital. That, and half a bottle of hand sanitizer. All of that, on top of washing her hands a few times every hour.

Nobody in a restaurant kitchen, especially a fast food kitchen, is going to do that. The owner would probably scold them for wasting money if they tried.

CD

WooHoo, I started another new thread. 🚁 There's no hiding from the ModCopter.

CD

I dont and never have used them..but we have them. I like to feel the membranes when prepping chicken livers for pate. It's a hands on thing I need to do. When cooking I prolly wash my hands 2 to 3 times. Depending on courses etc?
I also like to see people here watch me washing my hands for their piece of mind.
I shower 1 to 3 times a day depending on what I do.
I wonder why we have a box of those gloves? Pandemic prolly.?

Russ

I wonder why we have a box of those gloves?
If you ever decide to prep a couple of kilos of fresh chile peppers, the gloves will come in very handy.
Many, many years ago, I bought some rocoto peppers , about 3 kgs, and cut them all up to make some hot sauce.
I had "Hunan Hand" for 3 days. Extremely uncomfortable!

If you ever decide to prep a couple of kilos of fresh chile peppers, the gloves will come in very handy.
Many, many years ago, I bought some rocoto peppers , about 3 kgs, and cut them all up to make some hot sauce.

Trust me I know. As does the wife. We grow all types mild to very hot. I grow from seed and she harvests and freezes. Thousands. I make a hot chilly sauce every year . About 30 x 300ml bottles.
She deseeds some for my mild thai pastes, green red and yellow.

Russ

Ok just asked boss about burning hands. That's why we have surgical gloves lol.

Russ

Oh yeah, I use nitrile gloves to deal with hot chilis. That capsaicin doesn't wash off. Touch your eyes the next day, and pay the price. For us men, "aim at the bowl" and get a whole new, very unpleasant feeling.

CD

Last edited:
I don't use latex gloves in the kitchen, but I DO wash my hands thoroughly & use hand sanitizer before cooking. I also use these cut resistant gloves when cutting things like meat & veggies, then I wash them thoroughly when I'm done for the next use. :whistling:
Cut Resistant Gloves..jpg

I don't use latex gloves in the kitchen, but I DO wash my hands thoroughly & use hand sanitizer before cooking. I also use these cut resistant gloves when cutting things like meat & veggies, then I wash them thoroughly when I'm done for the next use. :whistling:
View attachment 105108
I have a left hand one of those. From my business days. From memory 20 something years ago cost $200. Still have it.
Btw I missed your posts :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom