Using gloves when preparing food

I use these disposable PE gloves when there are things that are better done by hand but might be messy or greasy. For example I hand-shredded some duck confit today, pulling meat from bone. If I've got a roast chicken carcass, I'll wear these gloves to remove all the meat remnants for whatever. If I am mixing up some rice for fried rice with the seasonings, I do it by hand wearing these to ensure all grains are coated and clumps are broken up - it's just faster.

IMG_1725.JPG

The think I use food prep gloves for mostly is when I’m breading something to pan/deep-fry.

In my 30+ years as a food service worker, I can say that I have never used them for regular daily activity..Occasionally I will use one if I have cut myself as it protects my cut from further infection and also prevent the band aid from ending up in somebody's coleslaw..Any health inspector I have ever dealt with doesn't endorse them for the reason you stated. I keep a small pail of warm, soapy water with a bit of bleach in it for our cloths and had sanitizing..I also have a spray bottle with a bleach solution that I use at different stages throughout the day to sanitize the surfaces I use...I don't think I have killed anybody yet..and, I eat breakfast and lunch there every day and so far, so good..

Seeing them on food handlers doesn’t really do much for me, because it’s simply human nature/habit to touch your face, your hair, whatever, and that’s going to happen, gloves or no gloves.

I don’t get too fussed seeing a cook touch my food. If I was that picky, I’d never go out.

No. I just go straight to the glove. I do have blue band aids, though.

Some day as a gag, you should put blue band-aids on six fingers and see how customers react. :laugh:

For people who don't know, restaurant kitchen staff use blue band-aids (plasters?) and/or blue finger condoms because the bright blue color won't blend in to foods like a normal skin-toned band-aid would.

CD

I occasionally stop at the beer store on my walk home and treat myself to a couple of cold cans. A reward that keeps me motivated to walk and to work.
There's a Russian store up the street that sells beer. Recently, it started selling liquor also. I get Natty Daddy & Sam O'fest if they have it. Gannsett as well! The liquor is rather expensive, so I try not to spend too much there on liquor.:whistling:

Last edited:
There's a Russian store up the street that sells beer. Recently, it started selling liquor also. I get Natty Daddy & Sam O'fest if they have it. Gannsett as well! The liquor is rather expensive, so I try not to spend too much there.:whistling:
Yeah. Liquor can add up fast. I could never drink much liquor because I quaff it like beer. Party is over real quick. With or without pants. Beer is safer. I can still remember all of my stale old jokes.

Back
Top Bottom