Recipe Vegan Chicken Kiev

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:31 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I've not had chance to try this recipe but it has been inspired by this post by Long Player Kitchen where they have created Vegan Chicken Kiev.
I rather liked the use of cashew nuts to create the creamy sauce for the middle of the Kievs. I also like the use of rice paper to hold the Kiev together which resolves one of the issues I was having with my thoughts on making a vegan chicken Kiev.

Makes 2
Ingredients
  • 500g firm tofu, well drained.
  • 1 cups cashew nuts (soaked overnight)
  • 4 large cloves of garlic
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 handful fresh flat leaved parsley, chopped
  • 125g plain flour
  • 1 tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp cajun seasoning
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 4 rice paper rolls
  • Sunflower or Canola oil for frying.
  • Salt and pepper
Method
  1. Start by draining the tofu, it needs to by as dry as possible. So place between 2 plates and put something weighty on the top four a couple of hours. Now dry the tofu using a clean tea towel. Be careful not to split the tofu.
  2. Cut the dried tofu in half width ways. We are aiming on creating 2 Kievs without really cutting the tofu up too much. Carefully shape each half into Kiev shapes by trimming of the excess tofu. Carefully cut into the shaped tofu from the top or side (whichever you are more comfortable with). You are aiming to cut a hole in the centre where you will be putting the Kiev butter flavouring.
  3. Once done, repeat with the other half. Keep the excess tofu that has been cut off.
  4. Now take the soaked cashew nuts, drain and wash them, then blitz them in a high powered liquidizer with about the same quantity of water. The aim is to use as small a volume of water as possible to create a thick cream that is totally smooth.
  5. Now add in the garlic cloves and the lemon juice and blitz to smooth.
  6. Decant to a suitable bowl and mix in the chopped parsley. Now set aside.
  7. In another bowl, mix together the flour, smoked paprika, cajun seasoning, garlic and onion powders along with some salt and pepper.
  8. Now carefully put as much of the garlic cashew nut 'butter' as will fit into the whole you created in the shaped tofu. Repeat for the other Kiev.
  9. Gently soak the rice paper in warm water until softened (5-10 seconds) and place the Kiev on to of it. Roll the paper around the Kiev to hold the Kiev closed. Repeat for the other Kiev.
  10. Now roll the Kiev on the flour mixture. Shake off any excess flour and dip into the remaining garlic cashew nut 'butter' and roll in the flour mixture a second time. Repeat with the other Kiev.
  11. Now chill for a minimum of an hour in the fridge.
  12. Preheat the oven to 180C or Gas Mark 4.
  13. Heat the oil in a large frying pan until hot, now add both Kievs and fry on each side until golden brown. Transfer to a baking sheet and cook in the oven until sizzling hot, roughly 20-25 minutes.
  14. Serve immediately.
I had had thoughts about using the cut off tofu shredded to make a shaped Kiev using them because I hate wasting anything especially food. So my thoughts had been to use the rice paper to make a pocket of cashew nut garlic butter and them using more rice paper shape the shredded/grated tofu cut offs around the pocket of cashew nut garlic butter to make a roughly shaped Kiev. Then as before dip in flour, back in the garlic butter and back into the flour. Cook as described above. You may squeeze a 3rd Kiev out of it by this method.

Hopefully I will get chance to try this once I leave hospital.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Speedy recovery wishes once again.

Amazingly innovative récipe .. I am quite a fan of Bio / Organic Tofu .. I have it sometimes just as is, for lunch .. It reminds me of a fresh cheese "cheese" funny enough. I have sautéed it in chick pea flour as well as a mini tapa with a glass of Sparkling Rosé ..

This truly sounds remarkable !!

All my best wishes ..

Seriously ? It might be excellent and tasty but it is a tofu kiev and not and never will be a chicken kiev. No offence intended here but I really do not understand this. Nothing wrong with it being a tofu kiev but I wouldn't call a pork pie a carrot pie and I fail to see why vegetarians/vegans should feel compelled to call their dishes after meat. You don't eat meat - fine - so why do you feel compelled to pretend you do - do you feel you must 'fool' your dinner guests into eating something they aren't ? Of course not. Call it what it is [or find a name for it] be proud of it and enjoy it for what it is.

I picked up on this because my friend is vegan and I'm not. I do most of the cooking here - heh! I remember my Mum cooking chicken Kiev when I was a lad. I've not had it since those days. It seems a bit of a difficult recipe as I've never made chicken kiev before. The tofu we get is a bit soft and breaks up when I cook it so I am wondering how it would be in this recipe. It has me thinking though.

I picked up on this because my friend is vegan and I'm not. I do most of the cooking here - heh! I remember my Mum cooking chicken Kiev when I was a lad. I've not had it since those days. It seems a bit of a difficult recipe as I've never made chicken kiev before. The tofu we get is a bit soft and breaks up when I cook it so I am wondering how it would be in this recipe. It has me thinking though.
It's one of the reasons that I have also suggested trying it shredded and using the rice paper to hold it together. But I'm still in hospital (double pneumonia and it's still week 5 of bring in hospital) so haven't been able to try it. I do know tungsten the cauldron foods tofu (in the fresh section of the supermarket) is much firmer than most and should be ok if handled carefully. (I'm from the UK on a visa to Australia).

It's one of the reasons that I have also suggested trying it shredded and using the rice paper to hold it together. But I'm still in hospital (double pneumonia and it's still week 5 of bring in hospital) so haven't been able to try it. I do know tungsten the cauldron foods tofu (in the fresh section of the supermarket) is much firmer than most and should be ok if handled carefully. (I'm from the UK on a visa to Australia).
Oh sorry to hear you are in hospital. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Back
Top Bottom