Recipe Vegan Cinnamon Buns

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:03 PM
I wasn't sure that this recipe would work. Cinnamon buns are made with enriched bread dough which normally contains an egg. I decided to take a risk and just leave it out. The butter is replaced with Tomor margarine. I have tried before to make croissants with other hard margarines but found that it was essential to use one with a high fat content. Tomor seems to be the only one available from UK supermarkets which fits the bill. It worked very well for croissants, so I thought it would work with these buns. It did! These buns are not super sweet. I prefer them that way, but you could add more sugar to the bread mixture if you wish.

20171003_175337.jpg

Ingredients
For the dough:
425g strong white flour
1 x 7g pack of dried yeast
300 ml almond milk (not cold milk)
50g Tomor margarine
65 g caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Apricot jam to glaze

For the filling:
75g Tomor margarine
100g dark brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon powder

To decorate:
Sugar pearls or almond flakes

Method
  1. Place flour in a large bowl and add the yeast, salt and sugar.
  2. Melt the margarine and mix into the almond milk.
  3. Add the milk mixture gradually to the flour mix to form a soft dough. You may not need all the milk mixture
  4. Knead the dough for 5 minutes on a floured surface.
  5. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise until doubled.
  6. To prepare the filling, soften the margarine and mix in the sugar and cinnamon
  7. Shape the risen dough into a rough square on a floured surface. Roll out into a 35cm x 35cm square.
  8. Cover with the cinnamon/sugar/margarine filling mixture. The easiest way to do this is to use your fingers. Fold the dough over onto itself in thirds (like a business letter) and roll into 35cm x 20cm rectangle.
  9. Trim the rough edges of the dough. Cut the dough into 20cm long strips, roughly 2cm wide. Stretch the strip slightly and twist around your index finger to make the circular spiral shape. The dough will make approximately 17 buns.
  10. Place the buns on a non-stick tray and leave to to rise for 20 mins.
  11. Heat the oven to 175 C. Bake the buns for 20 mins and allow to cool. Glaze the tops with melted apricot jam and sprinkle with sugar pearls or flaked almonds.

Back
Top Bottom