Recipe Vegan Muffin Cakes

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:19 AM
A bit of experimenting went on before I got this right. I adapted my usual muffin recipe, replacing egg with golden syrup. The result is surprisingly light and crumbly.

20170729_163414.jpg

Ingredients
200 g plain flour
3 teaspoons of baking powder
75 g vegetable margarine
65g grams caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tablespoons golden syrup
200 ml plant based milk

Method
  1. Heat oven to 180C
  2. Grease a muffin tin or line with paper cases.
  3. Cream together the margarine and the sugar until smooth.
  4. Mix the flour and B.P together and add to the sugar/margarine.
  5. Add the golden syrup and milk and mix to form a rather lumpy batter (the batter should be thick pourng consistency but not liquid.
  6. Divide the mixture between the muffin cups - the mixture makes approx. 8 cakes.
  7. Bake for 25mins until golden and cooked through.
  8. Allow to cool slightly in the tin before removing.

@morning glory

Very pretty ..

What is Golden syrup exactly ? Is this something you buy, or that you make ?

Have a lovely evening ..

Its a UK thing. I don't think its easily available elsewhere and certainly our US members have asked what it was in the past. Its a syrup made from sugar beet or cane sugar. You might be able to substitute honey for the syrup - but I've not tried.

maxresdefault.jpg

This link explains the difference betweengolden syrup and corn syrup (the latter is easily available in the US). http://bakingbites.com/2008/09/corn-syrup-vs-golden-syrup/

@morning glory

Just did a search in Catalan and Spanish and it is available in El Corte Inglès in the British section.

Thanks ..

Have a lovely evening.

I am rather surprised it worked as a substitute for eggs. Your muffins do look fabulous.
Well I don't know if it was really a sub for eggs! I just thought I needed something a bit 'gluey' to bind the mix. I am not sure what would happen if I left it out (and increased sugar).

Golden syrup a sub for egg? Interesting. This needs to be tried. I usually only have golden syrup in the cupboard in the winter months for porridge and the occasional steamed pud. Love the stuff so ration to one tin a year.

Golden syrup a sub for egg? Interesting. This needs to be tried. I usually only have golden syrup in the cupboard in the winter months for porridge and the occasional steamed pud. Love the stuff so ration to one tin a year.
Golden syrup is such a lovely thing. I too put it on porridge. You have reminded me about steamed syrup sponge pudding.

Back
Top Bottom