Wahlburgers in NZ - Fried Pickles

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:57 AM
Ok I saw on the news a week ago and never gave it much thought.
Well my son text last night from Auckland. Pic of him eating a burger. He was eating it, a wahl burger. He enjoyed it.
For JAS_OH1 and caseydog
He had fried pickles with it and raved about them.i know CD has had them.
Do I just dredge and batter then fry?
I pickle my own pickles/gerkins so I'm going to try these.
Tempora or thick batter please?
Russ

Ps another chain is here as well, 1 in 2 or something??

Well my son text last night from Auckland. Pic of him eating a burger. He was eating it, a wahl burger. He enjoyed it.
For JAS_OH1 and caseydog
Russ

Fried Pickles

I like that recipe. Its similar to what i do. Some people use batter, there are lots of different recipes. You don't need the Italian seasoning. Cajun works well but you can just do garlic powder, salt and pepper, maybe a touch of cayenne?

Menu - Wahlburgers

Never eaten there but they do use a breadcrumb coating too.

Last edited:
For JAS_OH1 and caseydog
Russ

For my fried pickles, I just put the sliced dill pickles on a paper towel, dry them out somewhat, and put them in a plastic bag with AP flour, seasoned with cayenne pepper dust. Shake them up, take them out and shake off the excess flour, and deep fry them. Golden and crispy on the outside, and hot and "pickly" on the inside.

It is one of the easiest appetizers you can make.

Try it. The are surprisingly good.

CD

For my fried pickles, I just put the sliced dill pickles on a paper towel, dry them out somewhat, and put them in a plastic bag with AP flour, seasoned with cayenne pepper dust. Shake them up, take them out and shake off the excess flour, and deep fry them. Golden and crispy on the outside, and hot and "pickly" on the inside.

It is one of the easiest appetizers you can make.

Try it. The are surprisingly good.

CD
No batter??

Russ

No batter??

Russ
A lot of people don't use batter. There isn't a wrong or right way to make them. I like a thin batter (with buttermilk) and then a final coating of breadcrumbs. Just using a flour dredge is fine and they aren't heavy on the breading that way. I do my fried green tomatoes like that, no batter, just flour or a mix of flour and breadcrumbs. I think if you are using a thicker pickle chip a little more breading is better, but for thin pickles the flour dredge is good.

Also, never, never pickle spears! I remember when I first saw fried pickles up here in NE Ohio on a menu I was all excited because it's a more typical Southern US food. The menu didn't mention that they were breaded pickle spears. I was very disappointed.

A lot of people don't use batter. There isn't a wrong or right way to make them. I like a thin batter (with buttermilk) and then a final coating of breadcrumbs. Just using a flour dredge is fine and they aren't heavy on the breading that way. I do my fried green tomatoes like that, no batter, just flour or a mix of flour and breadcrumbs. I think if you are using a thicker pickle chip a little more breading is better, but for thin pickles the flour dredge is good.

Also, never, never pickle spears! I remember when I first saw fried pickles up here in NE Ohio on a menu I was all excited because it's a more typical Southern US food. The menu didn't mention that they were breaded pickle spears. I was very disappointed.
I will post pics along with hush puppies. 2 trial dishes/snacks. Doing this week.

Russ

I will post pics along with hush puppies. 2 trial dishes/snacks. Doing this week.

Russ
I know your wife doesn't like seafood, but you could make fried chicken fingers as the main to go with the hushpuppies (and maybe sneak some fried shrimp or fried fish in there for yourself). I love hushpuppies with a big ole' fried seafood platter!

I know your wife doesn't like seafood, but you could make fried chicken fingers as the main to go with the hushpuppies (and maybe sneak some fried shrimp or fried fish in there for yourself). I love hushpuppies with a big ole' fried seafood platter!
I know she wont even look at the pickles but she might try the hps.
We shall see. I'll talk to my son about his taste on the pickles.
In fact I'll ring him Now.

Russ

Also, never, never pickle spears!
Fried pickle chips are very popular here. Most sports bars have them, county fairs and festivals, etc.

We went to a local German festival a few years ago…whole giant kosher dills, on a stick, lightly breaded and deep-fried. It was good!

Fried pickle chips are very popular here. Most sports bars have them, county fairs and festivals, etc.

We went to a local German festival a few years ago…whole giant kosher dills, on a stick, lightly breaded and deep-fried. It was good!
They are gaining popularity up here slowly, but when I first moved up here 23 years ago it was rare. And with those pickle spears, it was mostly an executation error I think. The pickles were pretty juicy and the breading became soggy. They just didn't drain the pickles well, but I was so used to the thinner pickle chips being so light and crisp it was just...different. Not for me. I guess if you had a whole pickle on a stick and fresh out of the fryer, it didn't have a chance to get soggy.

They are gaining popularity up here slowly, but when I first moved up here 23 years ago it was rare. And with those pickle spears, it was mostly an executation error I think. The pickles were pretty juicy and the breading became soggy. They just didn't drain the pickles well, but I was so used to the thinner pickle chips being so light and crisp it was just...different. Not for me. I guess if you had a whole pickle on a stick and fresh out of the fryer, it didn't have a chance to get soggy.
Carny pickles lol. I like carny dogs.

Russ

Me too, if you are referring to corn dogs? Are the dogs dipped in a cornmeal batter?
Yip.
Just spoke to son re burger. He had fiesta with pickles explained taste. I can do that. Saw pic of pickles . I can do that. Really nice he said.
I cant do tomorrow as we're at daughter for dinner tomorrow night.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom