Wanted: Herb or Spice Jars

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:45 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
title says all really...

After some more herb & spice jars so labels can be taken off and recycled for the herbs & spices that are homeless in my spice cupboard. Not necessarily after the Schwartz ones because they don't hold anywhere near enough and only the 1/2tsp measuring spoon fits into them, but anything else, or small glass jars are much welcome. Only requirement is that I can get the lid on and off and that they are cleanable. (We don't eat anything out of jars, so can't recycle anything at our end, hence the request & my health food shop only sells them in plastic herb/spice bags.)

I'm in Cheshire frequently finding myself in Staffordshire and Lancashire for my sins so can collect. I'm between Northwich and Chester and OH works in Warrington. Can't afford to buy 'new' jars (needing aorund 20-40 jars really) but happy to do a donation to charity...

This is currently the state of the spice shelf... https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/herbs-spices.18/
thanks
Emma

Right.... You know what I do for a living, right? :D

http://www.stnicksfields.org.uk/recycling.php

You want spice jars you can fit a standard teaspoon in, and other smallish jars right? Like small jam jars and the like?

I'm in York, but make regular trips to Manchester (Eccles), if that's any help.

A small donation to the charity I work for would be much appreciated. Let me see what I can find over the next week or so, and get back to you.

Right.... You know what I do for a living, right? :D
http://www.stnicksfields.org.uk/recycling.php
You want spice jars you can fit a standard teaspoon in, and other smallish jars right? Like small jam jars and the like?
I'm in York, but make regular trips to Manchester (Eccles), if that's any help.
A small donation to the charity I work for would be much appreciated. Let me see what I can find over the next week or so, and get back to you.

thought it was a long shot - you have no idea how happy you have just made me :)
in-laws are in Oldham, Royton & Hebdon Bridge... so up there quite a bit... and I can always 'borrow' our car for a day trip
The barts spice jars are great (though small volume wise, but I don't mind having 2 or 3 of them with the same thing in) - they take said measuring spoon, but not the Schwartz ones regretfully. Any small jam jars (especially if they have lids!) would be fantastic. I tend to buy spices in "bulk" - so 125g or 250g of ground cumin (lasts about a month-6 weeks), so pretty much most jars are great...
donation to your charity is not a problem.

THANK YOU :)

OK, I'll keep an eye out, and let you know when I have a decent selection.:)

(It might be harder to get me to stop! Night Train mentioned wanting some Kenco coffee jars and is getting swamped....:wink: )

We often look out for particular things for people. We've recently collected 50 2ltr pop bottles for an aphid breeding programme at the University!

I wonder if those smaller Douwe Egberts jars would be any good.
product_UK_PureGold_large.png

Oh, yes, worth keeping them in case....:thumbsup:

We like to have special things to look out for, it lends a bit of variety to the day. Tomorrow, I will be looking out for spice jars and copies of today's Press.... (coz we're in it!)

Actually, they look really good... :)

I'll look out a few more then. NT has a few that I found for him, but he prefers the larger size. so the smaller ones are spare.

No spice jars today, but a few smallish jam jars. I'll post a pic later and check they aren't too big.

This is the sort of thing I've found today (hand for scale):

DSCN3445.JPG

Is that size alright, or too big? I have a few smaller ones among the finds.

Still looking for spice jars...

This is the sort of thing I've found today (hand for scale):
Is that size alright, or too big? I have a few smaller ones among the finds.
Still looking for spice jars...

that size and smaller are great, thank you. I need to be able to put around 250g of 'flour' (aka ground corriander, ground cumin & carob flour) into some of them... please.
thanks Emma

Update: I've got about 20 jam jars of various small sizes, and 7 spice jars - although they aren't all wide necked. I figured I'd pick them all up and you can pick and choose. I reckon I'll have a decent load by next week.

It'll probably be easiest if I let NT take them back to his when he next comes over here in a couple of weeks, as carrying 30 or so jamjars on the train might be awkward! Then we can arrange collection.

One of my colleagues misunderstood and saved a load of those little individual jam pots like you get in hotels. Any good for anything? No worries if not, I might make use of them...

Update: I've got about 20 jam jars of various small sizes, and 7 spice jars - although they aren't all wide necked. I figured I'd pick them all up and you can pick and choose. I reckon I'll have a decent load by next week.

It'll probably be easiest if I let NT take them back to his when he next comes over here in a couple of weeks, as carrying 30 or so jamjars on the train might be awkward! Then we can arrange collection.

One of my colleagues misunderstood and saved a load of those little individual jam pots like you get in hotels. Any good for anything? No worries if not, I might make use of them...

I suspect that the little ones might not be particularly useful for me, tbh... given I tend to buy spices in bulk... off to the health food shop again this weekend, have run out of about 8 spices... so time to raid it again

I may well be over in Cottingham in the near future (like next week maybe)... won't know until tomorrow though (ebay auction, pick-up only), so may be able to help on the collection side - York is not that far from Hull (don't worry seeing an old friend at the same time as well). will let you know tomorrow. thanks. Emma

OK, that's fine, I might keep the little jars to play with for myself.:)

If you are coming near York we can arrange a pick up then, otherwise I'm sure we can sort something else! Meanwhile, I'll keep looking for the spice type jars, in the hope of getting more wide-necked ones.

(BTW, my colleague and I were having one of our usual daft conversations today and came up with the latest consumer poncy must-have. Blister-packs of spices, each blister containing a 1/2 tsp of whatever spice. Slap the words "Easy" and "Convenient" all over it, and rake in the money from people too stupid to use a spoon....:wink: )

(BTW, my colleague and I were having one of our usual daft conversations today and came up with the latest consumer poncy must-have. Blister-packs of spices, each blister containing a 1/2 tsp of whatever spice. Slap the words "Easy" and "Convenient" all over it, and rake in the money from people too stupid to use a spoon....:wink: )

yep - know what you mean. after a year out of the country we have come back and just stand there in amazement looking at the differences... talk about consumerism... OK 1 or 2 of the changes are great for us - pouring soya yoghurt, fresh soya cream but we are still not able to get stuff that was easily available in the very far north of Finland (where directions were follow the road for 2 days and at the T junction, turn left, continue for 4 days...) but blister packs of spices? eek, might as well spoon feed them with a set number of caleries delivered to the front door each day - oh wait they already do that!

You would also be proud - just purchased an alternative to the plastic veg bags at the supermarket, made from recycled plastic bottles. A suppliment to the Onya bag we took everywhere with us, and now have 6 of. all the weekly shopping fits into those 6 bags, but that might just put you out of a job cutting back on all that packaging and waste...:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom