Herbie

Veteran
Local time
2:03 PM
I can't think of a catchier name.

For the roasted bit:
1 squash (I used carnival squash) cut into slices about 1.5 cm thick
1.5 red onion cut into six wedges
Half a head of garlic. Cloves separated, skin left on.
Salt, pepper, chilli flakes.
Rapeseed oil to roast.

Put everything in oven preheated oven (approx 180) and roast until nicely caramelised. Turning once.
The seeds of the squash cleaned and added to a separate tin and roasted with a little oil and salt

The lentil bit:
1 cup brown lentils
1 diced carrot
veg stock
runner beans
Mix in herbs I used some parsley and chives

Simmer until lentils and carrot in the stock until almost soft then add the runner beans.

The topping
1/2 red onion finely diced and fried hot and quick until brown
1 bunch of sage leaves fried in hot oil for a few seconds so crispy.

Assemble. Layer the squash and lentil mixture. Top with seeds, sage and onion.

It was very tasty. I don't think the runner beans added much but I was using up the last of the summer crop.

Last edited:
Squash and lentils is a good combo. I like the idea of the crispy sage and onion topping. How is the garlic cooked and used?

Its a great vegan dish. I made it today. More notes to follow tomorrow. Here is the photo:

fullsizeoutput_3c7d.jpeg

Last edited:
This is such a nice dish! One thing I did was to add just a little splash of wine vinegar over the top when serving. I thought..well, its a salad, after all! It could just as well have been a squirt of lemon juice.

I tried to cook the seeds but without success - hence there are none in the photo! I've had this issue before. I was using a round orange squash above (not sure what type) but I've also tried cooking the seeds of butternut squash. They seeds have a hard casing which is really inedible - and if you try to remove it (before or after cooking) there is nothing left. I don't know what the problem is - maybe I will post this as a new thread to see what others think. Here is the result of my roasted seeds:

20181029_114907.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom