Weird moments

sidevalve

Guru
Local time
4:30 PM
Nothing too scary - just wondering has anybody else had one of those strange fleeting moments when you are suddenly transported back to another time / place ? I did recently, I found my old school bag [army pack - they were the fashion at the time] in the loft and for some reason threw it over my shoulder [only one of course, you never wore them over two] and for one tiny moment I had this strange feeling like I was teenager again. Truly weird feeling not like a memory - almost spooky.
Well anybody else or should I call the men in white coats ?

Nothing too scary - just wondering has anybody else had one of those strange fleeting moments when you are suddenly transported back to another time / place ? I did recently, I found my old school bag [army pack - they were the fashion at the time] in the loft and for some reason threw it over my shoulder [only one of course, you never wore them over two] and for one tiny moment I had this strange feeling like I was teenager again. Truly weird feeling not like a memory - almost spooky.
Well anybody else or should I call the men in white coats ?
The weirdest moment I ever had was in high school. I didn't even realize what I said until I was told later.
Apparently a class mate apparently whispered something in my ear and I screamed something unladylike. I think he then tried to calm me down because the next thing I remember is the teacher telling the student to stay away from me and then asking if I was alright. I was dazed.

This got me thinking about the times when 'someone walks over your grave'. Its that deja vu experience when you feel as if you been through something before. I used to get that very often but if I think about it, now I am older it doesn't seem to happen very much.

Nothing like your experience, @sidevalve, but I have smelled my Dad's cigarette smoke in our house, or coffee brewing around the time my Mom would have started a pot after they were retired...but neither of them had ever been to the house we now live in. In fact, they had both died in Ohio before we moved to our current, new-built home in Massachusetts. Guess my folks are still checking in on me and making sure hubby and I are still OK. :love: As far as this house goes, no one has ever smoked in it (unless it was a building contractor while the house was going up) and I'm always first up to make the coffee for real.

One of the weirdest things that I can recall happened to both me and my Mum way back in 1967; not quite transported back in time or even to another place, but still a strange experience.

Mum used to breed Scotties, the last one of which used to sleep on an old settee in the dining-room. She had been quite ill, and one Monday morning was taken to the vet for the very last time. All week the house seemed like a morgue. Mum was so upset, that come the Saturday I suggested that she come with me to the dentist, after which we will go shopping, just to get her out of the house. After I had seen the dentist, we got back in the car, and (or so it seemed to Mum) I just drove and drove. Of course, we didn't stop at any of the shops. I kept on driving until we reached Battersea Dogs Home. After some time of looking, we were eventually picked by a beautiful, young lurcher who came home with us.

We had been told by the Dogs Home that she had always been kept outside in kennels but, when we got home,Tiny (as she had been named by her previous owner) immediately went into the front room and laid down on the rug. Later that evening, it was starting to get quite cold, so Mum turned the gas fire on. In the past, as soon as she did this, our old Scottie used to come into the front room and lay down on that rug, so imagine how we felt when all of a sudden the front room door swung open. Tiny shot up, all her fur stood on end, and she barked and barked, and it was several minutes before she settled down again. It was as if the Scottie was still there. To cap it all, when my Dad came home from work, she went into the front room for the first time and fetched his slippers. Yet another thing that the Scottie always used to do.

It never happened again, so hopefully the Scottie approved of our new dog.

I don't think of it as weird but every night from the time I can remember until December 1990, (when I moved in with current husband), someone tucked me in every night. It didn't matter where I was or who I was with. I know no one physical was there.
When I first got the kitchen rearranged and spotless, both my grandmother and great-grandmother came to visit and wanted coffee. Both had been gone for years.

Though I guess the weirdest was a car accident I had. Actually 2.
The first one, I saw a toddler fly out of the passenger side windshield. I was alone. Hurt my back in this accident
The second one was when I ran off the side of the road into a ditch. Someone was literally pinning my shoulders to the seat. I was not wearing a seat belt. I had no injuries whatsoever even though the car landed hard enough to break the seals on two tires. The rims were sitting in the tires.

Last edited:
I don't think of it as weird but every night from the time I can remember until December 1990, (when I moved in with current husband), someone tucked me in every night. It didn't matter where I was or who I was with. I know no one physical was there.
When I first got the kitchen rearranged and spotless, both my grandmother and great-grandmother came to visit and wanted coffee. Both had been gone for years.

Though I guess the weirdest was a car accident I had. Actually 2.
The first one, I saw a toddler fly out of the passenger side windshield. I was alone. Hurt my back in this accident
The second one was when I ran off the side of the road into a ditch. Someone was literally pinning my shoulders to the seat. I was not wearing a seat belt. I had no injuries whatsoever even though the car landed hard enough to break the seals on two tires. The rims were sitting in the tires.
Sounds a bit like when I split up with my ex. Every morning when I woke up, it felt like someone had their arm round me, yet he never used to do that. Same thing happens now, but it's the mutt!

Your car accident sounds like the strange things that happen at Blue Bell Hill near Maidstone. http://www.roadghosts.com/blue bell hill.htm. I've driven down that road but have never seen anything amiss. Maybe @morning glory know more about it.

My ex-mother-in-law lived in Dundalk in Ireland. She and her partner also bought a small cottage. On the way to the cottage was a crossroads on top of a hill. If you stopped your car on any of the four roads just over the brow of the hill and let the handbrake off the car would roll up the hill. Apparently the land there contained some magnetic stone, but it seems very strange rolling uphill. And you try telling the locals that there is a natural explanation for it.

Your car accident sounds like the strange things that happen at Blue Bell Hill near Maidstone. http://www.roadghosts.com/blue bell hill.htm. I've driven down that road but have never seen anything amiss. Maybe @morning glory know more about it.

Oh yes! I drive up and down there frequently it is very near to where I live and I've heard about the legend. But I've never seen that apparition (or any other apparition in my life).

Sounds a bit like when I split up with my ex. Every morning when I woke up, it felt like someone had their arm round me, yet he never used to do that. Same thing happens now, but it's the mutt!

My ex-mother-in-law lived in Dundalk in Ireland. She and her partner also bought a small cottage. On the way to the cottage was a crossroads on top of a hill. If you stopped your car on any of the four roads just over the brow of the hill and let the handbrake off the car would roll up the hill. Apparently the land there contained some magnetic stone, but it seems very strange rolling uphill. And you try telling the locals that there is a natural explanation for it.
Mine was from the time I was a child. If I had to venture a guess I would say it started when I was about 2 and a half. I figure it was my granddad. Poor man in life, he never went more than 200 miles or so from where he was born. In death, I drug him all over the country.

When my second Alsatian died, she was in the front room. At the spot where she died, an Alsatian head-shaped mark appeared. No amount of scrubbing or cleaning would get rid of that mark (and I have had car engines and motorbikes dismantled and rebuilt on that carpet with no ill effects!). It was still there 4 years later, when I got my greyhound, but the next day it had disappeared. During those 4 years, however, I often used to see the Alsatian around the house.

This also happens with my old black cat, who died in 2008 or 2009. I often catch sight of her out of the corner of her eye, running across the front room or kitchen, or rushing up the stairs, even now.

Yes! on the cat! There are times in the kitchen I'll suddenly pull a leg up, or sidestep one way or the other, to avoid stepping on her. Kitty has been gone three(?) years.

My folks used to live in a bungalow, 1 morning dad got up to make tea for them both and mum felt an animal jump onto the bed and walk up towards the pillow, they didn't have any pets! To start with mum thought that maybe she was still asleep and was dreaming but it happened a few times even my dad felt it as well. Apparently the previous owners had a little dog who used to sleep on the owners bed so after learning about that whenever they felt the dog they both said hello to her.

They did get a cat and at times she used to jump up, stare into space, fur up and hissing as though something was there.

Back
Top Bottom