What’s the next kitchen item you plan to buy?

.I, at soon-to-be 62 years old, broke down and bought my first ever kitchen scale a few weeks ago, and I used it for the 1st time today!
You are to be applauded. I can't live without one, and the reason is, probably, that when I ran my own business making chutneys, salsas, hot sauces, pickles, etc., etc, I simply HAD to have exactly the same measures for everything I made. Since I was selling to every major supermarket in Caracas, every single jar had to taste exactly the same, so every single ingredient had to be a precise measure.

Okay, I expect to have computer keyboards hurled at me over this, but...I, at soon-to-be 62 years old, broke down and bought my first ever kitchen scale a few weeks ago, and I used it for the 1st time today!
I always thought a kitchen scale was something of a poser item in a home kitchen - “Look at me! I’m so accomplished, I need a scale to make my culinary creations!” 🙄

Then I got one (for free through reward points), and I’d fight a bear to keep it, I use it every single day, just about, and usually more than once a day.

I always thought a kitchen scale was something of a poser item in a home kitchen - “Look at me! I’m so accomplished, I need a scale to make my culinary creations!” 🙄

Then I got one (for free through reward points), and I’d fight a bear to keep it, I use it every single day, just about, and usually more than once a day.
When I was weighing the nuts, I noticed that 2 oz weight of pecans yielded more in volume than 2 oz weight of cashews, which just goes to show that my previous way of not "weigh" ing when measuring things wasn't the greatest.

When I was weighing the nuts, I noticed that 2 oz weight of pecans yielded more in volume than 2 oz weight of cashews, which just goes to show that my previous way of not "weigh" ing when measuring things wasn't the greatest.
It helps me the most with weighing flour - not only is it more accurate than the ol’ scoop-and-scrape, it’s so much easier (to me, anyway), to just put the bowl on the scale and dump the flour in, until I get what I want (1 cup of KA AP flour weighs 4 1/4 ounces).

It helps me the most with weighing flour - not only is it more accurate than the ol’ scoop-and-scrape, it’s so much easier (to me, anyway), to just put the bowl on the scale and dump the flour in, until I get what I want (1 cup of KA AP flour weighs 4 1/4 ounces).
I love taring the scale. That was fun!

I'm thinking about a Ninja Wood fired stove. The reviews are superb. I like to keep the heat from cooking outside in the summer and our BBQ has been absolutely battered this year by gale force winds.
Mr SSOAP said two summers ago it was finished and we'd get a new BBQ last year. It's now unusable.

I'm fancying the Ninja outdoor stove much more, it's very versatile. I love the idea of cold smoking my own salmon and all the other things it can do.
Living next to the sea and exposed to the elements means most things left outside are destroyed during the winter, with this thing I could easily bring it in and store it under the bottom shelf in the utility over winter.
I really dislike having to throw BBQ's away, environmentally it seems plain wrong so I think it would be a good move for me.

Anyone any experience?

Electric BBQ Grills | Outdoor Cooking - Ninja UK

Shall I ring the scrap man to come and get the old barbie or should I keep looking?!

Last edited:
IMG_7881.jpeg

I'm thinking about a Ninja Wood fired stove. The reviews are superb. I like to keep the heat from cooking outside in the summer and our BBQ has been absolutely battered this year by gale force winds.
Mr SSOAP said two summers ago it was finished and we'd get a new BBQ last year. It's now unusable.

I'm fancying the Ninja outdoor stove much more, it's very versatile. I love the idea of cold smoking my own salmon and all the other things it can do.
Living next to the sea and exposed to the elements means most things left outside are destroyed during the winter, with this thing I could easily bring it in and store it under the bottom shelf in the utility over winter.
I really dislike having to throw BBQ's away, environmentally it seems plain wrong so I think it would be a good move for me.

Anyone any experience?

Electric BBQ Grills | Outdoor Cooking - Ninja UK

Shall I ring the scrap man to come and get the old barbie or should I keep looking?!

What you need is a Big green egg (much loved by chefs). I think they will stand up to any climate. They don't come cheap though...

Charcoal Barbecues - Official Site - Kamado Ceramic BBQ

What you need is a Big green egg (much loved by chefs). I think they will stand up to any climate. They don't come cheap though...

Charcoal Barbecues - Official Site - Kamado Ceramic BBQ
I did look at something similar but the lure of being able to cook anything I like outside in the summer won out.
You can even bake a cake in the Ninja thing.

I love the concept of being able to stop or start the cook or alter the temperature no matter where I am.
So many times I've turned down going to watch the rugby or doing something I'd quite like to because I wouldn't be back in time to get the food in the oven.

You know those spontaneous things you turn down because you have a 3kilo joint that requires attention.

It has some pretty neat features like it lets you set the probe temp and the oven sends a notification to your phone to tell you it's done, then switches itself off!

I'm looking forward to experimenting with it.
It's comfortably tucked away under the shelf in the utility away from the weather at the moment, if the forecast is correct it will have its first outing tomoz 👏

I did look at something similar but the lure of being able to cook anything I like outside in the summer won out.
You can even bake a cake in the Ninja thing.

I love the concept of being able to stop or start the cook or alter the temperature no matter where I am.
So many times I've turned down going to watch the rugby or doing something I'd quite like to because I wouldn't be back in time to get the food in the oven.

You know those spontaneous things you turn down because you have a 3kilo joint that requires attention.

It has some pretty neat features like it lets you set the probe temp and the oven sends a notification to your phone to tell you it's done, then switches itself off!

I'm looking forward to experimenting with it.
It's comfortably tucked away under the shelf in the utility away from the weather at the moment, if the forecast is correct it will have its first outing tomoz 👏

I note this needs an electricity supply (which I don't have outdoors). I look forward to seeing how it performs.

Back
Top Bottom