What are your 5 favorite Foreign Foods ?

Francesca

Local time
1:42 AM
What are your 5 favorite foreign cuisines that you eat out in a Restaurant ?
Since, I am an Iberian, born and raised, a Catalan - Spaniard, I am not including Spanish Regional Cuisine.
Mine are:
1) Italian Regional ..
2) French Provençal ..
3) Regional Aegean Greek Islands ..
4) Japanese ..
5) Thai ..

If I were to extend this list, I would add Portuguese, French Basque and Iberian Basque, Danish, Peruvian and Moroccan ..

I would say "South Asian" if I had to pick a favourite. A very wide area gets pulled into the generalised term "Indian" food, but even within India, there are a lot of regional variations. As a vegetarian, my preferences are for South Indian and Sri Lankan as these areas tend to have a wider range of vegetarian dishes. Having said that, there are some very nice dishes from northern India, Bangladesh and Pakistan as well.

People often assume that there are certain parts of the world where it is difficult (bordering on impossible) to be vegetarian. I've not found this to be the case. I've worked in Ghana, Ethiopia and Eritrea and found plenty of food to get me through. I've been to most countries in Eastern Europe and never had a problem, either. Indeed, some of the soups you find in Eastern Europe are exquisite.

@Duck59,

I am not a vegetarian however, I am veered towards being Pescatarian and eat alot of vegeatarian dishes and on rare occasion, I do eat Tartare of Filet Mignon or Venison Tartare and organic chicken or duck during the Christmas Holidays .. Very infrequent ..

One of the loveliest vegetarian dishes I had ever eaten was in the Bucharest Capital, Romania ..

It is a standard on the menú, Israeli Black Lentil Risotto ( not rice though it looks like Risotto and is Black) with Mediterranean vegetables !

Amazingly exquisite Israeli cuisine by a Veteran Chef from Israel, based in Bucharest many years. I had eaten there several times during my 2 trips there ..

He had given me his new book just published in September 2016, and so, one day I will have to prepare it when I am not in tourist season ..

Thanks for the feedback and have a lovely summer ..

Last edited:
One of the loveliest vegetarian dishes I had ever eaten was in the Bucharest Capital, Romania. It is a standard on the menú, Israeli Black Lentil Risotto (not rice though it looks like Risotto and is Black) with Mediterranean vegetables !

I am thinking these may be Beluga lentils? I've used them in a few recipes on the forum:

https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...eluga-lentils-with-pomegranate-molasses.7101/
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/lamb-aubergine-and-beluga-lentil-balti.7091/

I will have to try making the 'risotto'.

I am thinking these may be Beluga lentils? I've used them in a few recipes on the forum:

https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...eluga-lentils-with-pomegranate-molasses.7101/
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/lamb-aubergine-and-beluga-lentil-balti.7091/

I will have to try making the 'risotto'.

@morning glory

The name in Romanian of this dish is: Risotto de Linte Neagra .. Black Lentil Risotto ..
Your récipes are amazingly stunning .. I believe you could be right. The black lentil risotto looks like Caviar and are quite tiny. When I get home on Sunday, I could translate the recipe from Romanian to English. I could also send The Chef an email. He speaks perfect English however, his book is in Romanian. He is planning to do a PDF series of the book in English, Hebrew and French.

He also did a Risotto de Linte Neagra with Calamari Tempura, a Crocant, that was to die for and go to heaven for !! I love squid and calamar. It was just so extraordinary to pair the crispy Tempura with the Lentil Risotto. Beautiful dish. I shall post his recipe and I am going to see if I can get this lentil via La Boquera Market but if not, I am going to write my friend in Bucharest.

I will also check the health food shops in Barcelona.

Thanks and have a lovely weekend ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is indeed an unusual combination. I would love to try it.

@morning glory

These two are simply incredibly unforgettable. I shall post the 2 recipes.

I will be home Sunday late however, I am off Monday and Tuesday, so I shall post the recipes.

I have already asked my husband and Mom and Mom in law to see about the Black Lentils and the Aoc, which is the French designation of Origin, is protected and grows Organic Black Lentils. It is in the Auvergine Aoc, southwestern France ..

So, we can obtain them easily from France .. I am not sure if this is where the Chef purchases them from, however, I shall write him ..

Have a great weekend ..

My favourite foreign foods are:
  1. Greek (and other similar eastern European)
  2. Indian (or anything from the Indian sub-continent)
  3. Middle Eastern food (particularly Iraqi and Iranian)
  4. Austrian/German
  5. Italian

My favourite foreign foods are:
  1. Greek (and other similar eastern European)
  2. Indian (or anything from the Indian sub-continent)
  3. Middle Eastern food (particularly Iraqi and Iranian)
  4. Austrian/German
  5. Italian

@Elawin & @lothian

I am quite a fan of Aegean Island Greek Regional and of course, Italian and I adore Moroccan & Lebanese ..

We eat Indian approx once a month to 6 weeks, out at a lovely restaurant which is located by the British Embassy, and it is always packed. Must reserve approx 2 to 3 weeks in advance .. Shiboni is an absolutely lovely lady and she is also the owner of an Indian Restaurant in the Madrid Capital ..

I was quite impressed with the Iranian / Persian rices I had at a beautiful restaurant in the Madrid Capital ..

I have never had Iraquí Cuisine.

My husband and I had travelled to Hamburg, Bremen and Emden quite a number of years ago. Hamburg was from my memories, quite a fabulous city and filled with global expatriates and foreign tourists.

I attended a Parisien Tourism & Travel Institute for my Masters and one of my course mates, was a gal from Hamburg, and we have maintained our friendship for many years and she was getting married and invited us, to her Wedding. It was truly fabulous ..

However, the most interesting cuisine I had in Hamburg, was actually at a very tiny Bistro Bar, near the Port, with cuisine from Dubrovnik (Croatian) Seafood .. I only can remember the cuisine .. A shellfish stew with a good hint of dried red chili pepper !! However, I do not know if it is still there .. It was quite some time ago ..

Well, have a wonderful weekend .. Thank you for all your feedback ..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom