What are your 5 favorite Foreign Foods ?

Something I always find interesting is how cultures intertwine. In Eritrea, for example, you find Italian restaurants, but the food you get isn't necessarily the exact same as you might get in Italy. There may well be an African twist to it. I suppose it's a similar concept to the food you find in Indian restaurants around the world. These often reflect food that is available locally, such as the possibility of having elk vindaloo in Reykjavik.

@Duck59,

Yes this is quite true.

Other factors that may alter taste, are: The Water and also, the adapting to the local population´s palates ..

It all depends on how much the restaurateur and the chef import from their home lands to the country where they have their restaurant ..

Several factors surely ..

Elk or venison vindaloo sounds quite interesting !!! Perhaps a trip to Iceland or Finland could be quite surprising ..

This is most notable in Chinese restaurants. In Madrid, there is a dish called Arroz Delicioso ( Delicious Rice). I have never seen this in Hong Kong and I was in H.K. from December 22nd, 2014 to January 7th, 2015.

I have never been to mainland China, however, I do not care much for Chinese cuisine .. However, I adored the Chinese cuisine in Hong Kong ! Very, very different from Iberia.

Have a nice weekend ..
Thanks for joining us ..

I went to an Indian restaurant in Accra a couple of times. The owner was from the south of India and there was a really wide selection of vegetarian dishes on the menu. We had a good chat to him one night and he said that ideally he would have liked it to be all vegetarian, but it wasn't really feasible for him to run it profitably like that. Nonetheless, there was plenty for us veggies to enjoy.

@Duck59,

There is a Michelin Star Chef in the Madrid. He has his own restaurant approx. 49 km. south of the Capital.

He was offered a collaboration with a well known 5 Star Hotel in the City. He had decided to accept the position, however, the Chef wanted to do a totally vegetarian degustation and the Hotel, was not pleased.

Madrid natives are fairly big carnivores .. And the hotel did not want to limit the diet of Executives or tourists and so the collaboration of this Chef and the Hotel plummeted and thus, ended. They did not feel it was viable or feasible financially for them ..

This chef returned to his Michelin restaurant and re opened it and has been growing all his own vegetables on his tiny farm .. And he is doing well ..

Author, Professor, Veteran Michelin Star Cuisinier & Hotelier Alain Ducasse, also had this in mind, however, he felt it was too limiting to do, just 1 Vegetarian Degustation. He has several degustations and at time of booking a table, this is noted in advance ..

Goodnight !! Have a lovely weekend ..

It's a shame that the only restaurants near us are nearly all Indian or Chinese. I cook my own "foreign" meals, although I have first hand experience of real Greek, Austrian and German food. The Indian and Middle Eastern food I cook is as close as I can make it at home, and I have in the past eaten Italian food in Italy. I have still to investigate the Sicilian family-owned restaurant near me, but I have been to the one in the town where my daughter lives. I find it difficult to get out to the restaurants. My favourite one is not in a very nice location, especially of you are on your own, although they do deliver.

My experience with the Chinese takeaways nearby has not always been very good, so I could not put Chinese food on my list. One of the nicest Chinese restaurants I've ever been to was Cantonese.

@Elawin

I love Sicilian cuisine. Have you ever had Pasta Norma ? It is vegetarian .. Aubergine, Courgette, Tomato, garlic, onion, and it is served usually with a short tube pasta .. The sauce is from the vegetables and tomato. Very lovely ..

The best Chinese cuisine I have ever had was in Hong Kong. Otherwise, I avoid this cuisine.

I have had un-countable negative experiences world wide, and henceforth, I prefer to refrain ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

@Elawin

I love Sicilian cuisine. Have you ever had Pasta Norma ? It is vegetarian .. Aubergine, Courgette, Tomato, garlic, onion, and it is served usually with a short tube pasta .. The sauce is from the vegetables and tomato..
No, I haven't, but I love aubergines and courgettes, so maybe I should give it a try. Nice weekend to you, too.

Aubergines and courgettes were, along with cauliflowers, our luxury vegetables in Eritrea. You could only get them in Asmara, so anyone taking a trip to the capital (a plane ride from where I lived) was honour bound to bring some back. I used to make curries with them.

Aubergines and courgettes were, along with cauliflowers, our luxury vegetables in Eritrea. You could only get them in Asmara, so anyone taking a trip to the capital (a plane ride from where I lived) was honour bound to bring some back. I used to make curries with them.
Mine come from Devon, which is far enough. Tesco "no longer stock this product".

What don't they stock? I'm sure I bought all 3 items from their recently.
Ours don't stock aubergines any more :mad:, well not online, but I haven't seen any in our local store for a while either. Our big Sainsbury's have them sometimes, but it's a bit of a trek for me by bus and expensive to park. Our local Sainsbury's has very little in the way of fresh fruit and veg. I haven't investigated the greengrocer's - the way the shops near us are going, it may not even be there any more. I'll have to take the mutt down there and have a look (it was an open shop - more like a big, covered "market stall" from the front, so taking him is easier than it sounds).

Ours don't stock aubergines any more :mad:, well not online, but I haven't seen any in our local store for a while either. Our big Sainsbury's have them sometimes, but it's a bit of a trek for me by bus and expensive to park. Our local Sainsbury's has very little in the way of fresh fruit and veg. I haven't investigated the greengrocer's - the way the shops near us are going, it may not even be there any more. I'll have to take the mutt down there and have a look (it was an open shop - more like a big, covered "market stall" from the front, so taking him is easier than it sounds).

Oh that's odd as I thought the on-line stuff all comes from central warehouses. Having said that I have known them to be out of stock. It does make you wonder. Aldis down the road from me always have aubergines.

Oh that's odd as I thought the on-line stuff all comes from central warehouses. Having said that I have known them to be out of stock. It does make you wonder. Aldis down the road from me always have aubergines.
There are quite a few items and lines that the central warehouse serving our area no longer has. Perhaps it varies from district to district. It was much better when our shopping came from our local store. Incidentally, our local store (which I can see from my house) is still the delivery point for areas south of the main road which runs between us, whereas mine comes from a dotcom warehouse about 30 miles away! I do have an account with Sainsbury's as well and my online orders come from their local [large] supermarket, but they tend to be more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom