What are your favorite types of Euro cheese?

blades

Local time
8:12 PM
After discussing American cheeses, I though Europe deserved some chatter. My favorite snack cheese is Wensleydale; my favorite melting cheese is Gruyere and my favorite seasoning cheese is Parmigiano. That covers the UK, Switzerland and Italy. What are your favorites?

Last edited:
So many!

UK: I like a really strong aged Cheddar with crunchy bits in it. Wensleydale is so deliciously sweet and crumbly with a hint of tartness. My current UK favourite is Black Sticks blue; creamy yet laced with an exciting salty tang.

Then there are the French cheeses...

I like this Beemster Gouda.
1686779614824.png

Erm, "Euro" cheese??? :laugh: :laugh: That's sort of as general as saying "Asian Cuisine..."
UK: Mature Cheddar - 18 months or more. Double Gloucester. Red Windsor, Stilton and Shropshire Blue. Stinking Bishop.
France: Brie de Meaux, Pont L'Evecque, Livarot, Reblochon, Chaource and Bleu d'Auvergne ( Not a great fan of Roquefort)
Switzerland: ApfenZelle
Holland: Aged Gouda. The good stuff is 12 to 18 months. Good Edam and Leyden (the cheese with cumin seeds in it)
Spain: Manchego. Cabrales. Tetilla. And a delicious cheese from Barcelona called Torta del Casar.
Bulgaria: sheep's milk Feta, preserved in brine
Italy : Parmigiano Reggiano, Pecorino, Gorgonzola piccante, Provolone, Caciocavallo (when I can get hold of it) and Dolcelatte.

Erm, "Euro" cheese??? :laugh: :laugh: That's sort of as general as saying "Asian Cuisine..."
UK: Mature Cheddar - 18 months or more. Double Gloucester. Red Windsor, Stilton and Shropshire Blue. Stinking Bishop.
France: Brie de Meaux, Pont L'Evecque, Livarot, Reblochon, Chaource and Bleu d'Auvergne ( Not a great fan of Roquefort)
Holland: Aged Gouda. The good stuff is 12 to 18 months. Good Edam and Leyden (the cheese with cumin seeds in it)
Spain: Manchego. Cabrales. Tetilla. And a delicious cheese from Barcelona called Torta del Casar.
Italy : Parmigiano Reggiano, Pecorino, Gorgonzola piccante, Provolone, Caciocavallo (when I can get hold of it) and Dolcelatte.
My mother loved Roquefort. And everyone in my immediate family of 6 siblings and 2 parents loved blue (bleu) cheese. I can't abide by it, but most of the other stuff on your list sounds so divine! Love manchego.

Where to start?

When I could eat dairy, one of our favourites was Reserve Comte.

Fresh Wensleydale from Hawes Creamery farm shop was always a treat served either on Christmas cake (homemade good without saying) or just digestive biscuits. The really fresh stuff is almost spreadable.

Cheddar, our favourite by a longshot was vintage mature Tickler.

Jarlesberg was a long time favourite, but it had to be a certain variety, that big wheel with the orange rind.

Lancashire and Cheshire were long time favourites as well, plus Cornish Yarg.

I could name many many more, quite easily such as a certain Emmental, a particular caramelised sweet goats cheese from Norway, Gjetost (an acquired taste so I'm told, but I use to eat it all the time), Capricorn Goats Brie and so on. Feta (a certain one was amazing), hallumi or squeaky cheese as it was called in this household. And I've not covered blues, or many others yet.

Where to start?

When I could eat dairy, one of our favourites was Reserve Comte.

Fresh Wensleydale from Hawes Creamery farm shop was always a treat served either on Christmas cake (homemade good without saying) or just digestive biscuits. The really fresh stuff is almost spreadable.

Cheddar, our favourite by a longshot was vintage mature Tickler.

Jarlesberg was a long time favourite, but it had to be a certain variety, that big wheel with the orange rind.

Lancashire and Cheshire were long time favourites as well, plus Cornish Yarg.

I could name many many more, quite easily such as a certain Emmental, a particular caramelised sweet goats cheese from Norway, Gjetost (an acquired taste so I'm told, but I use to eat it all the time), Capricorn Goats Brie and so on. Feta (a certain one was amazing), hallumi or squeaky cheese as it was called in this household. And I've not covered blues, or many others yet.
Love Jarlsberg and Emmental.

My maternal grandmother was Norwegian.

Last edited:
Love Jarlsberg and Emmental.

My maternal grandmother was Norwegian.
I've spent a lot of time there (since I was 11, it probably add up to 12 months or so) over the years, including nearly moving to Stavager back before we went off to cycle around the world. If hubby had been offered the job (he was 2nd for it over someone already working for NATO) we would have moved without hesitation.

They call that Leyden over there? It's called 'komijnekaas' here, which translates to cumin cheese. Leidse kaas/Leyden is just another form of the the typical Dutch cheese we know as Goudse/Gouda internationally. 'Gouda' can only be produced in Gouda, but the type of cheese is just our national common cheese type.

Got it. All cheeses are your favorites. :wink:

Oh crikey soooo many 🤷‍♀️

Top of the list is always decent cheddar and there are many so umm here's just my automatic cheese buys. Plus a decent cheese jam like Brindisa Paiarrop Quince Paste for the stilton etc is a must.

Cheddar- Cheddar from Cheddar obv or supermarket - Godminster Vintage Cheddar.
Somerset Brie (the ripe version).
Cropwell Bishop Stiltons.
Natoora Pecorino Ramano
Garofalo Buffalo Mozzarella Bocconcino (these mini mozzarella balls redeem all other boring forms of rubbish mozzarella!).

I could go on and on.. and on 😆

Here's a couple of leftfield ones I didn't think I'd like that caught me off guard-

Blacksticks blue burger slices. Don't be fooled these are thick decadent chunks of cheese that need a robust burger to stand up to it but OH so worth it.

IMG_0422.jpeg

And this which is half cheese. Best cheat cheese sauce you'll ever taste. Cheese 52% white wine and kirsch brandy. Excellent on top of cauliflower or broccoli when you're churning out a the billionth Sunday lunch want it to be special but don't have the energy.

IMG_0423.jpeg

Last edited:
I've spent a lot of time there (since I was 11, it probably add up to 12 months or so) over the years, including nearly moving to Stavager back before we went off to cycle around the world. If hubby had been offered the job (he was 2nd for it over someone already working for NATO) we would have moved without hesitation.
The Norwegian side of my family (my mom's mother) is the only heritage I can trace back to the 1700s. The rest of the lines are very muddy, unfortunately. My dad's father was a Native American from SW Louisiana area and my dad's mother was an Irish immigrant (apparently she was shunned from her family after marrying a Native American). My dad's father died when dad was only 3 years old. No one can trace anything further back than that, and everyone on that side of the family are all long deceased. I do know that my mother's father had some English blood and some other unknown European genes, and they had been in the US for several generations so just don't know that much about them. I guess I get my love of cheese from the English, Norwegian, and Irish roots, since as far as I know, Native Americans weren't raising dairy cows and making cheese!

Last edited:
Oh crikey soooo many 🤷‍♀️

Top of the list is always decent cheddar and there are many so umm here's just my automatic cheese buys. Plus a decent cheese jam like Brindisa Paiarrop Quince Paste for the stilton etc is a must.

Cheddar- Cheddar from Cheddar obv or supermarket - Godminster Vintage Cheddar.
Somerset Brie (the ripe version).
Cropwell Bishop Stiltons.
Natoora Pecorino Ramano
Garofalo Buffalo Mozzarella Bocconcino (these mini mozzarella balls redeem all other boring forms of rubbish mozzarella!).

I could go on and on.. and on 😆

Here's a couple of leftfield ones I didn't think I'd like that caught me off guard-

Blacksticks blue burger slices. Don't be fooled these are thick decadent chunks of cheese that need a robust burger to stand up to it but OH so worth it.

View attachment 101312

And this which is half cheese. Best cheat cheese sauce you'll ever taste. Cheese 52% white wine and kirsch brandy. Excellent on top of cauliflower or broccoli when you're churning out a the billionth Sunday lunch want it to be special bit don't have the energy.

View attachment 101313
The Blackstick looks good. When I have a blue cheese in the fridge, I often knead some into the hamburger meat along with a few other things before cooking it. It provides a glorious flavor enhancement to any burger.

Back
Top Bottom