What are your favorite types of Euro cheese?

Love that.
Definitely doing that on my next burger make.
I personally like my burgers on a bun, and since I am not a fan of bleu cheese, I would likely stuff it with cheddar. But the beauty of the "Juicy Lucy" burgers (created in Minneapolis so they say) is that you put the cheese inside the patty so you don't lose your delicious, expensive cheese getting stuck to the pan.

Mind Blowing Bleu Cheese Bacon Juicy Lucy with Onion Strings

1686856303243.png

I personally like my burgers on a bun, and since I am not a fan of bleu cheese, I would likely stuff it with cheddar. But the beauty of the "Juicy Lucy" burgers (created in Minneapolis so they say) is that you put the cheese inside the patty so you don't lose your delicious, expensive cheese getting stuck to the pan.

View attachment 101314
They tried the cheese in the centre thing in the UK and it didn't fly. I think they used cheese that was too mild for UK tastes.
Same as the 'stuffed crust' pizza. Sounded appealing but the flavour didn't hit the mark.

View attachment 101314
Goat cheese is good and so is Romano. Cheddar would also be fine as long as it is sharp. It needs to be very flavorful cheese in small amounts in my experience. It is a flavor enhancement, not just the relocation of a slice of cheese. You can still make a traditional cheeseburger out of it if the mood strikes you.

I make 90% of my sandwiches with ciabatta including burgers. I buy ciabatta rolls and slice them in half if I want something that looks like a burger bun. Otherwise a buy loaves and cut them as required for the sandwich. I usually toast the ciabatta as well. We had grilled tuna steak on the toasted ciabatta rolls for dinner today. Nice sandwiches.

Goat cheese is good and so is Romano. Cheddar would also be fine as long as it is sharp. It needs to be very flavorful cheese in small amounts in my experience. It is a flavor enhancement, not just the relocation of a slice of cheese. You can still make a traditional cheeseburger out of it if the mood strikes you.

I make 90% of my sandwiches with ciabatta including burgers. I buy ciabatta rolls and slice them in half if I want something that looks like a burger bun. Otherwise a buy loaves and cut them as required for the sandwich. I usually toast the ciabatta as well. We had grilled tuna steak on the toasted ciabatta rolls for dinner today. Nice sandwiches.
I have done this many times. I don't like goat cheese or Romano with beef patties. I prefer the cheddar or Gouda in my Juicy Lucy, personally, and hubby likes bleu cheese or American. Yes, I often do traditional cheeseburgers because I can make a smaller patty and Juicy Lucy is a lot of meat. It depends on our appetites and what sides we might do on whether we make a big Juicy Lucy or just a thin patty with bacon. I like ciabatta, but generally for turkey sandwiches. We don't like our burgers on ciabatta. I usually get the rolls but sometimes the bread when I make turkey, bacon, cheese, avocado, lettuce, tomato, and thinly sliced red onion sandwiches (with mayo and sometimes a dash of mustard). We prefer toasted brioche buns for our burgers. Different strokes for different folks!

Last edited:
They tried the cheese in the centre thing in the UK and it didn't fly. I think they used cheese that was too mild for UK tastes.
Same as the 'stuffed crust' pizza. Sounded appealing but the flavour didn't hit the mark.
Agreed on the stuffed crust pizza. Some things should just be left alone! Although, I do like my crusts brushed with garlic butter and parmesan cheese.

My point about the burgers is that mixing the cheese inside of the meat patty and not encapsulating it is bound to cause it to stick to the pan (or melt all over the BBQ grates), and it's just such a shame to waste it.

Last edited:
St-Marcellin and St-Felician (these are perfection with Cote-Rotie or Cornas)
Rigottes de Condrieu (impossible to find in the US)
Alpage (for fondue)
ripe Epoisses ("A great French cheese will offend at least two of the senses.")
Raclette
Bufala
Sulguni (delight from Georgia)

Got it. All cheeses are your favorites.
Nah. There are just some cheeses that I like more than others :laugh:
The UK has over 750 cheeses, but most of them are unavailable in the main supermarkets (which is where most people shop) . Sainsbury's, one of the biggest chains, stocks about 20 types of Cheddar, Red Leicester (one or two brands only), Double Gloucester (occasionally), Wensleydale (from time to time) and Stilton. Very occasionally (or at least, that was my experience last year ) you might find Cheshire, or Caerphilly , but that's about it. Waitrose supermarkets make an effort to stock lots of other British Cheeses, but they're much smaller.
I'm sure if they were asked, Sainsbugs would say : Ah, well, yes, but that's what people buy"...

Nah. There are just some cheeses that I like more than others :laugh:
The UK has over 750 cheeses, but most of them are unavailable in the main supermarkets (which is where most people shop) . Sainsbury's, one of the biggest chains, stocks about 20 types of Cheddar, Red Leicester (one or two brands only), Double Gloucester (occasionally), Wensleydale (from time to time) and Stilton. Very occasionally (or at least, that was my experience last year ) you might find Cheshire, or Caerphilly , but that's about it. Waitrose supermarkets make an effort to stock lots of other British Cheeses, but they're much smaller.
I'm sure if they were asked, Sainsbugs would say : Ah, well, yes, but that's what people buy"...
A cheddar nation.

A cheddar nation.
You might well be right. There's also an unhealthy amount of conformism, too. Unwillingness to try new/unusual flavours and the big supermarkets depending on "tried and tested".
You said you liked goat cheese - have you tried Humboldt Fog? It's a bit expensive, but I snaffled a bit last November, at half price. Really excellent cheese, wow!

You might well be right. There's also an unhealthy amount of conformism, too. Unwillingness to try new/unusual flavours and the big supermarkets depending on "tried and tested".
You said you liked goat cheese - have you tried Humboldt Fog? It's a bit expensive, but I snaffled a bit last November, at half price. Really excellent cheese, wow!
I've never heard of it. But I sure like the name.

Back
Top Bottom