What did you cook or eat today (December 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No whites in mayo, or at least none that I've ever made.
Oh yes there is, I've never made it but I've seen several recipes for it that use the whole egg. Ewww.

I had some leftover fried rice from 2 days ago. I pan fried it into a pressed patty and served it to hubby with runny yolked fried eggs on top. If you put an egg in it, he'll call it breakfast and eat it, lol.

I had vanilla Greek yogurt with berries.

We split a hot turkey bacon sandwich with white cheddar, sliced tomatoes, and alfalfa sprouts on toasted brioche for lunch (at 4 pm, lol). It was sooooo good!
JAS_OH1 have you tried a Hot Brown?
We went to the Brown Hotel but I was too chicken to order it! I really do not like tomatoes :thumbsdown:

JAS_OH1 have you tried a Hot Brown?
We went to the Brown Hotel but I was too chicken to order it! I really do not like tomatoes :thumbsdown:
No, I've not. I think it's a Kentucky thing maybe?

The tomatoes were cold, I wouldn't like them hot on my sandwich, nor the sprouts.

Commercial preference...Duke's, then Heinz, then Hellman's, then Best, though I'll happily eat any of those. Lately, though, I've been making my own, and I do prefer that by a wide margin, but I keep an emergency jar on hand.
Oh, I forgot to say, Hellman's makes Best Foods mayo.

Oh yes there is, I've never made it but I've seen several recipes for it that use the whole egg. Ewww.
I suspect there is for sure. Mayonnaise is a mother sauce, a basic to French cooking. Of course as we've seen time and time again, recipes change and if whites were an improvement it would have eclipsed by popular demand the original, but considering it hasn't I'm sticking with yolks. :okay:

Do you like sushi?

I love lots of kinds of Japanese foods, maybe has something to do with living in Okinawa as a kid.

No, I don't like sushi. My ex's family did, and made me try everything. I just didn't like it. I especially HATE seaweed (nori). It's like eating a sheet of paper.

CD

I know about Best Foods, it's a product distributed by AWG (Allied Wholesale Grocers). I used to be a retakl merchandiser for them. Best Foods is available here in Ohio and many states across the country, often in IGA stores. CD, Market Basket in Bridge City carries it.

I like Duke's, Hellmans, Best Foods, etc. I hate Miracle Whip.

Best Foods mayo and Hellman's mayo are the same product. They are the same company. They sell under different brand names in different areas of the country.

CD

Yep, just a couple of weeks, but fortunately, we eat mayonnaise pretty much every day, and a lot of it. 😋

:ohmy:

I don't understand the US obsession with mayonnaise. Its gradually crept over here too but not quite so much. Its very calorific and not something that should be used liberally or every day, really. I used to like it occasionally especially in dishes like egg mayonnaise. I suppose what I don't understand is its ubiquitous use as a condiment. Its an emulsified sauce and deserves to be used judicially. Home-made is definitely the best - there is no comparison. Unfortunately I've become intolerant to it and it causes me mild stomach issues. But this is not colouring my view. I used to really like it sometimes.

I'm not terribly picky over mayonnaise, but Miracle Whip is nasty, nasty stuff to me. It's got a certain fake-spice taste that I just can't stomach.

Commercial preference...Duke's, then Heinz, then Hellman's, then Best, though I'll happily eat any of those. Lately, though, I've been making my own, and I do prefer that by a wide margin, but I keep an emergency jar on hand.

Who prefer's either Hellman's or Best mayo?

Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 5.56.55 PM.jpg

Same jars. Same labels. Coincidence?

BTW, I like Miracle Whip to make tuna salad for sandwiches. I prefer Mayo on other sandwiches.

CD

No, I don't like sushi. My ex's family did, and made me try everything. I just didn't like it. I especially HATE seaweed (nori). It's like eating a sheet of paper.

CD
My husband hated sushi when we met. Now he adores it.

I love nori, I love to make handrolls with seared tuna and spicy sriracha mayo.

Remember my nori bagels I made for one of the challenges?
Recipe - Mini Sushi Bagels
Those things were soooo good!
1640822834971.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom