What did you cook or eat today (December 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so you know, we Brits were brung up on something called "Heinz Salad Cream" - basically, sweetened mayo with a bit of mustard in it. Mayo appeared years later.
The stuff you eat in Belgium and Holland is, I believe, called "fritsaus" (sic?) - sauce for chips/fries.
Brits are also obsessed with Marie Rose Sauce - which is mayo + tomato ketchup. Totally over-rated.
I use mayo for all sorts of stuff: salads, dips, sauces - I even flick it at the dog when he annoys me. Very versatile.Personally, I prefer Kraft over Hellman´s, but that´s just me.
Anyone who has never tried Marmite should give it a go. It was invented to supplement vitamin B deficiency in the early 1900s, and is made from used brewer´s yeast (which might also explain why Brits are so fanatical about their beer)
If you like it, you love it. It´s the maximum expression of "umami" in the world - but go easy, spread it thin.
If you don´t like it, then you probably dont like anchovies either.

Just so you know, we Brits were brung up on something called "Heinz Salad Cream" - basically, sweetened mayo with a bit of mustard in it. Mayo appeared years later.
The stuff you eat in Belgium and Holland is, I believe, called "fritsaus" (sic?) - sauce for chips/fries.
Brits are also obsessed with Marie Rose Sauce - which is mayo + tomato ketchup. Totally over-rated.
I use mayo for all sorts of stuff: salads, dips, sauces - I even flick it at the dog when he annoys me. Very versatile.Personally, I prefer Kraft over Hellman´s, but that´s just me.
Anyone who has never tried Marmite should give it a go. It was invented to supplement vitamin B deficiency in the early 1900s, and is made from used brewer´s yeast (which might also explain why Brits are so fanatical about their beer)
If you like it, you love it. It´s the maximum expression of "umami" in the world - but go easy, spread it thin.
If you don´t like it, then you probably dont like anchovies either.
I detest anchovies, LOL. I would still try marmite, though. I love beer and I love yeasty foods.

I do like mayo, ketchup, and mustard mixed together for dipping corn dogs. For those who don't know what a corn dog is, it's a hot dog on a stick dipped in a cornmeal batter and deep fried.
1640825630953.png

I also like all 3 condiments on a burger occasionally (with pickles).

I bet your dog loves it when you flick mayonnaise on him. He probably tries to annoy you to make that happen.

:ohmy:

I don't understand the US obsession with mayonnaise. Its gradually crept over here too but not quite so much. Its very calorific and not something that should be used liberally or every day, really. I used to like it occasionally especially in dishes like egg mayonnaise. I suppose what I don't understand is its ubiquitous use as a condiment. Its an emulsified sauce and deserves to be used judicially. Home-made is definitely the best - there is no comparison. Unfortunately I've become intolerant to it and it causes me mild stomach issues. But this is not colouring my view. I used to really like it sometimes.
And she already saw it.

... back on topic ...

Dinner for us three

IMG_1217.JPG

My Paniolo (that's Hawaiian for Cowboy) Chili.
I love this stuff! *blowing my own horn* 📯
It's ground/minced Beef, Bacon, Linguica (I'm lookin' at you flyinglentris ) and the usual suspects in Chili.:thankyou:

IMG_1216.JPG

This is Mom's plate, she likes her's all gussied up - shredded Cheddar Cheese, Chopped Onion and "a dallop of Daisy" sour cream :thankyou:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom