What did you cook or eat today (February 2024)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
vernplum Morning 👋 re the lovely recipe you posted
5-Minute Miso Glazed Salmon Recipe

The ingredients arrived and the salmon is bathing in its lovely marinade for a couple of hours 👍

I just want to check with you as I’d don’t generally grill fish, it says -

“Preheat a broiler (toaster oven or regular oven) to high. Cover a small broiler pan with aluminum foil. Rub excess marinade off of salmon and place on broiler pan. Broil until top surface is well charred and salmon is barely warm in the center, about 5 minutes, using the foil to protect any areas that threaten to burn.”

So this means there’s no direct heat on the underside? It goes from the fridge on a piece of foil under the hottest grill for 5 mins (ish) and that’s all there is to it?

Yes - that's right. You don't need to turn it.

[EDIT] check the centre of your thickest piece though. It might be too rare for you in which case whack it back under for another minute or so.

Yes - that's right. You don't need to turn it.

[EDIT] check the centre of your thickest piece though. It might be too rare for you in which case whack it back under for another minute or so.
Thanks ☺️

I really like rare. So long as the external bacteria is killed and it’s safe to eat I’m happy.
I suppose the sake and the sugar it’s resting in will denature it a bit.
I’m wondering though if it’s best cooked on a metal tray to transfer heat to the under side a bit?

Thanks ☺️

I really like rare. So long as the external bacteria is killed and it’s safe to eat I’m happy.
I suppose the sake and the sugar it’s resting in will denature it a bit.
I’m wondering though if it’s best cooked on a metal tray to transfer heat to the under side a bit?

I used a baking tray under the foil.

The salmon recipe was brilliant. Thanks vernplum 🤩

It showed its usefulness before it even made it onto the table! I’d lost track of the time and was supposed to be serving lunch early at 12oclock so everyone was fed before heading off to watch the rugby. I looked at the clock to realise IT WAS 12 o’clock 😱 but the salmon really does only take five mins under the grill!
12.10pm it was on the table being eaten 👏

IMG_3472.jpeg

⬆️ The single fillet which I did not enjoy skinning and always swear I’ll buy the correct knife for the job next time and don’t 😆

IMG_3475.jpeg

Medium rare fillet (doesn’t much show in the pics due to my plates oranging everything) with a lazy arse pre-made M&S ‘supergreen’ salad that went nicely.

I didn’t have the grill quite hot enough for a full on seared look but it was delicious anyway (lesson learned) and I cooked it as one piece which lessened the impact of the marinade which I wouldn’t do again, next time I’ll cut it into smaller pieces.

To the remaining marinade (as vernplum says there is a lot) I added some water to dilute the power of the flavours and heated till bubbling to kill any bacteria before thickening ever so slightly. That in a little ramekin was a nice power punch dipping sauce.

I just had a bowl of excellent chili at my favorite dive bar, and <bleep> me, I’m sitting at the bar, and I’m right next to this guy with a huge booming voice who’s intent on talking to everybody in the bar.

He’s so annoying, because he’s just blabbing 💩 out left and right, no segues, completely random, like:

WHAT CHANNEL’S THE PAN-AM ON?!?!
<12 seconds later>
IS MSG JUST A FLAVOR ENHANCER OR DOES IT PRESERVE THINGS TOO?!?!
<10 seconds later>
I WON A DOLLAR AT KENO YESTERDAY!!!

He’s so loud, he’s rattling the stuff hanging on the walls.

Does he have a deep basso voice? My dear husband speaks too loud. When we are home, I constantly tell him to turn down the volume. He is worse when we are in public - especially in a restaurant. He gets loud enough to be heard in the parking lot. I tug on his arm and whisper in his ear to turn the volume down. It works for 3 or 4 seconds then he booms again.
A VERY annoying habit.

Made crawfish bread a few days ago. Turned out really good. Will certainly make it again.
Do you have pictures? I love crawfish but will not pay $19 for a pound of tails. The extreme heat and drought of last summer killed off the seed crawfish. Farmers are not harvesting because it cost them more in bait and fuel to harvest than they can sell the crop for.
BTW - I refuse to purchase imported crawfish.

Does he have a deep basso voice? My dear husband speaks too loud. When we are home, I constantly tell him to turn down the volume. He is worse when we are in public - especially in a restaurant. He gets loud enough to be heard in the parking lot. I tug on his arm and whisper in his ear to turn the volume down. It works for 3 or 4 seconds then he booms again.
A VERY annoying habit.
Deep enough, but not terribly so - maybe a good way to say it is that he had a hearty voice, and laugh. That was just as annoying…a loud belly laugh after anything anyone said.

When I sat down, there were two stools open to the left of me, and I was on the corner, and he was around the corner on my right, a stool on his side between us.

Less than a minute after I sat down, another couple came in and…sat right <bleeping> next to me, and they all knew each other, so they spent the whole time shouting back and forth with me in the middle:

HEY! DONNA!!! IT LOOKS LIKE YOU STEPPED IN SOME DOG SHIT!!! OH SORRY! THAT’S JUST BOBBY!!! WHAT’D YOU DRAG HIM IN HERE FOR?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

And when they brought Bobby (who was bald as a bowling ball) his potato chowder, it was

CAREFUL, BOBBY!!! DON’T GET A HAIR IN YOUR SOUP!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Then, when his meal came, it started from the other side

SO, EH, WHAT’D YOU GET THERE, EDDIE, SOME KINDA HOT DOG?!?!

YEAH, IT’S A PHILLY DOG, WITH PEPPERS AND CHEESE AND ONIONS ON IT!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I GUESS IF YOU GET A DOG, YOU CAN BUILD IT ANY WAY YOU WANT, HUH?!

YEAH, AND KENNY IN THE KITCHEN SAID SINCE I ORDERED IT, IT’S GONNA BE CALLED THE F*** YOU DOG, ‘CAUSE F*** YOU, EDDIE!!! THAT’S WHAT HE TOLD ME!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

And me stuck in the middle. I offered to let them slide down one or to trade seats, but they didn’t want to put me out. 😒

Today's dinner was modified Reuben panini with green beans on the side along with potatoes left over from yesterday's corned beef and cabbage. I once had an Irish visiting chef conduct a class in my cooking school. I asked him if corned beef and cabbage was popular in Ireland. He said he had never heard of corned beef. I told him it was brined brisket and he smiled and said yes it is popular in Ireland. Whew! I was afraid what we view as an Irish dish in America was unknown in Ireland. Fortunately it is. It just doesn't exist with our name for it.

Just another example of how the language evolves differently in different countries. I did hear a mechanic refer to a door panel as a door card on an automotive TV show recently. Apparently some English terms get across the Atlantic from time to time. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom