What did you cook or eat today (February 2024)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cottage pie
Sheperds pie.jpg

I went with the stew. I posted no recipe because I was disappointed in the result. The idea was to counteract some of the heat of the sausage with the honey. As I cooked it I found I couldn't taste the honey so I added a 1/4 cup of brown sugar. It made the dish too sweet. I cooked it for 3 hours but the beans weren't fully cooked. Rather than using the normal overnight bean soaking I just brought them to a boil, turned off the burner and let them sit for a 1/2 hour. I thought that would be enough with a three hour cook time. It wasn't.

I remember posting a recipe here some time ago for a red beans and rice recipe that used kidney beans instead of red beans. I recommend that instead. I think andouille sausage and kidney beans are a great combination but do it better than I did this time. I love to experiment with cooking. Sometimes the results are, well, imperfect. :) On the plus side my wife did finish her portion and didn't complain. :)

We've been eating out or getting take out for the last several nights. Tonight was a Tovala meal though. Salisbury meatballs over mashed potatoes, plus I added some steamed broccoli from home to complete the meal. Pretty good meal again. Tovala is batting 1000 so far.

20240229_181827.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom