What did you cook or eat today (January 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing fancy... same as last night but tomorrow I'll be trying to add to my orange entries...

20230131_180125.jpg

"Catch of the day" soup.

I added some peas and a little extra stock to tonight's version.

I don't mess with reapers. The Scoville on that is just too high and to me, past a certain point it becomes too powerful and overpowers the taste of the food.

I don't mess with reapers. The Scoville on that is just too high and to me, past a certain point it becomes too powerful and overpowers the taste of the food.
It varies amazingly from person to person and for me it can vary from day to day.

Some days I can eat chillies raw and not really notice. I've been into restaurants and been warned that the dish I'm ordering is very hot and spicy or the hottest on their menu, and yet it wasn't for either of us, but on other days, I can't even eat a polo (mint), tictac or peppermint mentos, or go near anything even mildly chilli related.

For me, the cause is my brittle asthma. Sometimes even peppermint toothpaste on the electric toothbrush is too much for my asthma. And there's no warning, I'm either totally fine and can eat chillies raw or the slightest hint of them can trigger an asthma attack. We're going through one of those "phases" at the moment. No mint flavoured anything, though curiously in with actual mint grown in my garden (go figure), manual tooth brush, certainly no chillies, no hot paprika, and no pickled chillies. Next week I might be fine again but tonight it's back to double antihistamine tablets and extra asthma medication just to sleep, so nothing spicy on the chilli front.

I was growing Habaneros in my garden until the recent floods demolished them. I tried one and it blew my head off (#2,318). I'll stick to Thai hot in the future with maybe some prik kee noo as hot alternatives for special dishes, e.g. Tom Yam.

It varies amazingly from person to person and for me it can vary from day to day.

Some days I can eat chillies raw and not really notice. I've been into restaurants and been warned that the dish I'm ordering is very hot and spicy or the hottest on their menu, and yet it wasn't for either of us, but on other days, I can't even eat a polo (mint), tictac or peppermint mentos, or go near anything even mildly chilli related.

For me, the cause is my brittle asthma. Sometimes even peppermint toothpaste on the electric toothbrush is too much for my asthma. And there's no warning, I'm either totally fine and can eat chillies raw or the slightest hint of them can trigger an asthma attack. We're going through one of those "phases" at the moment. No mint flavoured anything, though curiously in with actual mint grown in my garden (go figure), manual tooth brush, certainly no chillies, no hot paprika, and no pickled chillies. Next week I might be fine again but tonight it's back to double antihistamine tablets and extra asthma medication just to sleep, so nothing spicy on the chilli front.
I know what you mean. I've ended up putting a whole fresh jalapeño on food before and it was like nothing and other times I've died and caught on fire just from prepping them.

Yeah, there are some peppeeheads in this forum for sure. karadekoolaid, Yorky, and I think Morning Glory...and apparently SatNavSaysStraightOn when her asthma is behaving. Not me so much. I don't mind a little heat sometimes, but I am in love with garlic!

I've tried a lot of different hot sauces and crystal is one of the better ones. It's really popular in the south.

I can't get that here - I was looking for it because it's an ingredient in Commander's Palace Gumbo - how different would you say it is from Tabasco? (which is what I ended up using.)

[EDIT] btw resident gumbo experts ElizabethB caseydog The Late Night Gourmet (or anyone else for that matter) how would you rate that recipe? I ate at that restaurant nearly 20 years ago - I thought the resultant dish was good but I half followed what was at the link above and half from a YouTube video of the exec chef making it (note in the recipe linked there seems to be an omission of Creole seasoning or anything that would make that taste).

Last edited:
I can't get that here - I was looking for it because it's an ingredient in Commander's Palace Gumbo - how different would you say it is from Tabasco? (which is what I ended up using.)

[EDIT] btw resident gumbo experts ElizabethB caseydog The Late Night Gourmet (or anyone else for that matter) how would you rate that recipe? I ate at that restaurant nearly 20 years ago - I thought the resultant dish was good but I half followed what was at the link above and half from a YouTube video of the exec chef making it (note in the recipe linked there seems to be an omission of Creole seasoning or anything that would make that taste).
I prefer Crystal to Tabasco personally. It's not vastly different though, especially when there are a lot of other flavors going on. I haven't had either in a long time since I moved from Florida to Ohio. Up here everyone uses Frank's.

I wonder how close it is to the real recipe? A good friend of mine was the pastry chef at Commander's Palace before hurricane Katrina hit. I'll have to ask him how close it is. He's an amazing chef in more than just pastry so maybe he has a better one to share.

Nobody made better gumbo than my late uncle John (married to my mother's younger sister). He was Cajun from Louisiana originally and moved to SE Texas near the LA border. I bet my cousins might have his recipe somewhere (maybe in their minds).

Edited to add that I was just looking in my pantry and found these. I haven't made gumbo in a long time and I'm no expert, but I always used used file in mine.
20230131_072135.jpg

20230131_072203.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer Crystal to Tabasco personally. It's not vastly different though, especially when there are a lot of other flavors going on. I haven't had either in a long time since I moved from Florida to Ohio. Up here everyone uses Frank's.

I wonder how close it is to the real recipe? A good friend of mine was the pastry chef at Commander's Palace before Katrina hit. I'll have to ask him how close it is. He's an amazing chef in more than just pastry so maybe he has a better one to share.

Nobody made better gumbo than my late uncle John (married to my mother's younger sister). He was Cajun from Louisiana originally and moved to SE Texas near the LA border. I bet my cousins might have his recipe somewhere (maybe in their minds).

Edited to add that I was just looking in my pantry and found these. I haven't made gumbo in a long time and I'm no expert, but I always used used file in mine.
View attachment 95707
View attachment 95708

This is the video of the Exec chef making it, so between the written recipe and this it wasn't too hard. I noted that it does not seem to use Filé powder (the Okra takes its place?).

This is the video of the Exec chef making it, so between the written recipe and this it wasn't too hard. I noted that it does not seem to use Filé powder (the Okra takes its place?).

Yeah, the file is optional. I am not a big fan of okra, it's too slimy for my tastes. And yes, the written recipe seems to be missing seasonings that I see in the video. I have my sound turned down so not sure what. I'll have to watch the video later. I'm on my phone in bed and my hub is still sleeping, so trying to be quiet.

I always cheat and use Cajun blends, lol. But I'm no expert at making gumbo, just like eating it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom