What did you eat/cook today (January 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight is chicken in mushroom sauce, small macaroni and carrots. With homemade bread and then pound cake for dessert. We bought a three beam scale yesterday, weighs up to 2600 or so grams.
I was going to fry some cabbage but since I burned the top joint of my middle finger on my dominant (right) hand, no way was I going to try to chop up two heads of cabbage even with my handy dandy helper.

Ouch, how did you do that?
I pulled a loaf of bread out of the oven, it was on a cookie sheet. I went to put it on a fold up cooling rack and one of the rack's legs folded back up and everything started sliding, I caught the edge of the cookie sheet with my finger. Barely touched it or so I thought. Needless to say @Shermie, that flimsy thing will be finding a new home shortly. I am thinking the dumpster.

Tonight's steak with chips and (leftover) mushroom cream sauce.

jan fillet chips 2 s.jpg

jan fillet cut s.jpg

Tonight I cooked duck legs. We liked the duck we had at Christmas so I thought I'd try a sort of simpler version just using duck legs. I put legs in a casserole dish and sprinkled with 5 spice powder then added chicken stock and baked on low heat for two and half hrs. I made gravy with more chicken and red wine. Served it with asparagus and smashed new potatoes again. I managed to take a photo which is not so good as it was tasting.

DSCF3121.jpg

I have the cabbage shredded and ready to fry. (will do that in an hour).
Steaks are marinating. (will throw them on the grill in about an hour and a half)
Jansson' s Temptation minus the anchovies is in the oven. (I decided since I had potatoes and onions I would make it. Saturday when I had planned it, he got off work earlier than anticipated so just fried the potatoes and onions instead.)
Oh I also froze the rest of the cilantro from Sunday since you have to buy it in a bunch. It was 38 cents.

What's in these?

Just rice. I'm not sure how they do it. Just emulate the making of popcorn I guess but with rice. I'll ask my wife.

I was thinking of breakfast tomorrow with milk and sliced banana. Probably sprinkle on a little sugar also.

"OTOP" is the acronym for "One Tambon, One Product", a government led project to promote local produce and goods. Tambun is Thai for sub-district of a town or district.

I've accidentally made Wensleydale cheese rather than Greek yoghurt for my girls today.

My yoghurt maker is on the Fritz and needs replacing. I think the thermostat had failed but for $5 it was never going to last long, just prove a point. so last night I put the 2l of full cream milk in bowl added the starter and covered it. but it was target cold overnight and nothing really happened, though there were signs of something... so this morning before I left home, I put the milk on a tray in the sun room, added 3 probiotic capsules, covered with clingfilm (thankfully) and left it to its own devices.

When we got home just before 9pm, I checked on it and it was looking funny. it had gone spongy and the clingfilm was holding everything in. gently taking revealed the spongy like nature and got it back down low enough for me to move to the kitchen where I removed the clingfilm and had my husband try it. I've made cheese accidentally in the sunshine and heat today. it tastes just like a really nice fresh moist Wensleydale cheese.
Tomorrow's job is to stain it and get the whey out. I should have taken some pictures but I forgot. I'll try to remember to take some of the end product one it has hung and been shaped! the girls can have the whey instead in their oats!

I've accidentally made Wensleydale cheese rather than Greek yoghurt for my girls today.

My yoghurt maker is on the Fritz and needs replacing. I think the thermostat had failed but for $5 it was never going to last long, just prove a point. so last night I put the 2l of full cream milk in bowl added the starter and covered it. but it was target cold overnight and nothing really happened, though there were signs of something... so this morning before I left home, I put the milk on a tray in the sun room, added 3 probiotic capsules, covered with clingfilm (thankfully) and left it to its own devices.

When we got home just before 9pm, I checked on it and it was looking funny. it had gone spongy and the clingfilm was holding everything in. gently taking revealed the spongy like nature and got it back down low enough for me to move to the kitchen where I removed the clingfilm and had my husband try it. I've made cheese accidentally in the sunshine and heat today. it tastes just like a really nice fresh moist Wensleydale cheese.
Tomorrow's job is to stain it and get the whey out. I should have taken some pictures but I forgot. I'll try to remember to take some of the end product one it has hung and been shaped! the girls can have the whey instead in their oats!
What kind of milk are you using in your yoghurt? I'd love to see an image of the cheese...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom