What do you do with leftover gravy?

Local time
1:23 PM
Whenever I do a stew, whether it be beef stew, lamb stew or chicken stew, I always end up with some left-over gravy. I would try not to do too much, but I still need to put enough water in the pot to cover the meat so that it would have tme to cook properly. More often than not, the gravy that is is left over gets thrown away since I do not usually intend using it the next day, as I may have plans for a completely different meal. However, there are times when we would use the gravy as a dip for bread later on tthat night.

Do you tend to make more gravy than you need when you are cooking stews of any kind?

I make vegetable soup out of the gravy, I just add more liquid and vegetables and season to taste. I may also add some rice to the mix.

I most often use leftover gravy when making Philly Steak & Cheese subs, in roast beef hash or when I make Chinese fried rice or lobster sauce.
I once made some gravy that was way too wicked salty & couldn't eat it, so I added it to the shaved steak, sliced peppers, onions & green peppers, and it came out perfectly seasoned just right!!
No additional salt was necessary!! :wink:

Considering that gravy means different things to different people I can safely say I refrigerate what I consider gravy for later use. Yesterday I made a chicken stew which was used as a gravy for some. Whatever was left I stored and will use it later. I never throw it out as my dogs are always happy to have it, When I mix it with chow, they try to lick it off and sometimes leave the chow behind: at least two of them.

This is quite embarrassing but I guess you would understand. During the hard times when we would eat out in KFC, I would take home a cup of gravy for my brother. He had no job then and has a family to feed. That cup of gravy would serve as match for the rice and they already have one meal. On occasions, my brother would always be on the lookout for leftover gravy that he would ask the host for him to take home. Again, rice and gravy would be their meal. It was really good if the gravy was from steak.

I just put some leftover gravy in the freezer lest week.

Then I turned around and made some more from the drippings of the meatloaf that I made the other day!
That one will more than like end up in the freezer as well. :wink:

Freeze up proper gravies for use in other dishes ,at another date either sauces or casseroles ,but you must chill and freeze quickly

I often have left over juices from a roasted chicken. Its just the juices from the roasting tin pound into a jug. It forms a layer of fat over the surface and the bottom part forms a jelly. This can be kept in the fridge for some time. Not sure how long! Help @Berties! Anyway, I scrape off the fat and then use the jellied chicken stock in all sorts of things. Tomorrow, for example, I'm making chicken and leek pie and will use the stock in the sauce in the pie.

I put 2 containers of gravy in the freezer.

They will come in handy when I make something that might require gravy. :wink:

I often have left over juices from a roasted chicken. Its just the juices from the roasting tin pound into a jug. It forms a layer of fat over the surface and the bottom part forms a jelly. This can be kept in the fridge for some time. Not sure how long! Help @Berties! Anyway, I scrape off the fat and then use the jellied chicken stock in all sorts of things. Tomorrow, for example, I'm making chicken and leek pie and will use the stock in the sauce in the pie.
There are always loads of figures bandying around I always say 2 months for quality reasons but it can stay for 6 months ,I try to use stuff quickly as the freezer just becomes a food grave yard in the end

There are always loads of figures bandying around I always say 2 months for quality reasons but it can stay for 6 months ,I try to use stuff quickly as the freezer just becomes a food grave yard in the end

It WILL do that if you are not careful!
That is why I'm not making any more gravy until those 2 containers of it are both used.
To further protect them for freezer burn, I will remove the frozen clumps of gravy for their containers, put them in vacuum seal bags & vacuum seal them to keep out damaging air. :wink: :headshake: :stop:

Just checking - I was talking about putting it in the fridge not freezer. I thought it was sooner. But I suppose the fat on top preserves it. Trouble is I'll probably end up with all my ramekins and jugs at the back of the fridge with filled with bits of chicken jelly!

Just checking - I was talking about putting it in the fridge not freezer. I thought it was sooner. But I suppose the fat on top preserves it. Trouble is I'll probably end up with all my ramekins and jugs at the back of the fridge with filled with bits of chicken jelly!
In the fridge I would not keep it more than 72 hours and that's if you cool it within a hour and a half
Freezing it in ice cube trays is a good idea and you can reduce the stock first

Usually, the stuff that I keep in the freezer is vacuum sealed. to keep it from drying out. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom