What do you love or hate about your kitchen?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:31 AM
I don't really like my my kitchen at all. Its too small, its dark and there simply isn't enough space. I had a new kitchen installed a few years ago and did the best I could with the space. What I do like is the pull out larder which holds lots and heaves with stacks of stuff given its narrow profile. Obviously what I hate most is the sheer lack of space (cupboard and counter space).

What about you and your kitchen? What do you love or hate? Perhaps you just have 'niggles'. I'll post a photo or two tomorrow...

If I have any complaints about my kitchen then I have only myself to blame. It is as large as I could reasonably make it given the land available and the fixtures are to my design.

So - do you have any complaints?

I suppose that I should have installed an electric built in oven but they were not only difficult to obtain back in 2000 but also very expensive. Hot and tepid water taps also but that can be easily rectified. I was prudent in fitting floor to ceiling wall tiles (as in the bathrooms) to facsilitate easy cleaning and the ten electric sockets are more than adequate (which is more than I can say for the eight in the lounge).

So to answer your question - no, not really.

Another small kitchen, which can lead to the kind of jostling, grabbing and wrestling we see at corner kicks if there is more than one person there. Perhaps we could get VAR installed.

On the positive side, the trade-off is that the living room is quite large, which I think I prefer.

We've just got a new kitchen, although it isn't completed, and I love my new cooking range but hate the fact that it doesn't have a timer function. However I do have a cooking time app on my phone which allows me to do multiple timers when cooking.

And I must say I was horrified at how much a new kitchen cost considering it was largely a bunch of wooden boxes.

After the floods of 2013 when our "bunch of wooden boxes" collapsed we had them replaced with these made to measure teak units (bases only, original worktops):

kitchen worktops.jpg

Bht 100,000.00 (just under £2,000.00 at the time).

After the floods of 2013 when our "bunch of wooden boxes" collapsed we had them replaced with these made to measure teak units (bases only, original worktops):
A friend of mine has a place in the Philippines, his wife comes from there. He was telling me that the kitchen unit bases are made out of a type of moulded concrete as they are susceptible to flooding and the floods do minimal to no damage to the units.

Some of the old boxes.........

old kitchen.jpg

A friend of mine has a place in the Philippines, his wife comes from there. He was telling me that the kitchen unit bases are made out of a type of moulded concrete as they are susceptible to flooding and the floods do minimal to no damage to the units.

I have seen those. The coating of the "concrete" (it's mortar really) is just a plastic film and unless it is done correctly, it can deteriorate in time.

I suppose the best idea (and cheapest) which many use is just rendered brick but the walls take up a lot of space and I find don't look the part (being a westerner).

Last edited:
Not being able to take it on holiday with me! Trying to knock out decent meals with only two electric rings can be a bit of a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom