What does the world eat for breakfast?

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
6:22 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)

I find videos like this fascinating and informative. Having lived in Australia, the USA and right now Japan, I can say that those three "stereotypical" representations of breakfast are reasonably accurate!

Is your country on there? Would you say the video represents your country's average breakfast?

If your country isn't on the video, please share with us what you would see as a typical breakfast in your country - I'm sure we'd all love to learn!

That us very interesting I enjoyed it a great deal. It is interesting to see what other countries choose to eat in the mornings. I am in Canada so our breakfast would be very similar to the USA. Bacon, eggs, hash brown and toast or Pancakes and sausages with maple syrup.

well my frequent breakfast is breakfast cereal, or oatmeal.This morning I had eggs on toast. Smoothies are great when you are trying to lose weight. I also sometimes eat toaster waffles or possibly a breakfast pastry. Breakfast is really my favorite meal.

This is a very interesting thread. Well, since my country is not mentioned in the video, a typical breakfast in my country would include cereal of some sort, like oat flakes, oatmeal or oat bran, or the dried cereals like cornflakes, shredded wheat and bran flakes. This would be followed by eggs and ham/bacon along with buttered toast. Pancakes layered with syrup or honey, are also another popular breakfast food here. Some sore of beverage like coffee, tea or a chocolate drink, would also form part of the breakfast.

This is a very interesting thread. Well, since my country is not mentioned in the video, a typical breakfast in my country would include cereal of some sort, like oat flakes, oatmeal or oat bran, or the dried cereals like cornflakes, shredded wheat and bran flakes. This would be followed by eggs and ham/bacon along with buttered toast. Pancakes layered with syrup or honey, are also another popular breakfast food here. Some sore of beverage like coffee, tea or a chocolate drink, would also form part of the breakfast.
Sounds close enough for me. The sad thing is this rarely happens for me. I am not a big breakfast person which some say I should correct.

Last edited:
Sounds close enough for me. The sad thing is this rarely happens for me, I am not a big breakfast person some many say I should correct.
I don't do breakfast either. I can do without it so why pack more calories in! But the, Im always trying to stop putting weight on... The British breakfast was accurate up to a point. But way, too many tomatoes, no black pudding (or white pudding) no baked beans and no mushrooms. I reckon a lot of the examples are a bit sketchy. The German breakfast looks particularly bleak!

In Serbia we don't have that special thing for breakfast. We usually make pancakes (French ones), or we make something like French toast but with eggs ( i will live a recipe here), sometimes we make something like a pie from dinner leftovers (another recipe), fried eggs, omelette, scrambled eggs, a sandwich. So there is no a specific meal to call a breakfast like English breakfast. No term like Serbian breakfast. We like Burek as well. That is a meat pie that originated in my town. Thay make it with cheese as well. I will share some videos about it because i am not so good in making Burek.

In Serbia we don't have that special thing for breakfast. We usually make pancakes (French ones), or we make something like French toast but with eggs ( i will live a recipe here), sometimes we make something like a pie from dinner leftovers (another recipe), fried eggs, omelette, scrambled eggs, a sandwich. So there is no a specific meal to call a breakfast like English breakfast. No term like Serbian breakfast. We like Burek as well. That is a meat pie that originated in my town. Thay make it with cheese as well. I will share some videos about it because i am not so good in making Burek.
When I was travelling through Serbia (by bicycle) a few winters ago, the one common theme for breakfast in all places we stayed in was omelette with cheese and ham. It was everywhere all of the time and it was almost impossible to get anything else! we would actually eat some cereal in our room before going down to have omelette at the breakfast table.

I cannot watch the video because my internet connection is very slow. For the Philippines, it is bread in the urban area and rural folks prefer rice for their morning food. I had been to 5 countries this year and the latest is Singapore last weekend. With their Chinese orientation, noodles was there in the breakfast buffet although we were served with bread. In Vietnam, noodles of different variety is their morning staple. Hongkong and China plus a side trip to Macau, all I saw were noodles although Macau had a variety of bread.

In Holland, chocolate sprinkles on bread is not uncommon..

hagelslag.jpg

I am in the US my breakfast is usually oatmeal, cold cereal, or yogurt. Chocolate sprinkles on toast would be good with me I would add peanut butter to the toast and chocolate sprinkles.

When I was travelling through Serbia (by bicycle) a few winters ago, the one common theme for breakfast in all places we stayed in was omelette with cheese and ham. It was everywhere all of the time and it was almost impossible to get anything else! we would actually eat some cereal in our room before going down to have omelette at the breakfast table.
That is just bad luck :) An omelette, as you know, is a world wide universal meal and it is not Serbian made only. I do not know where were those places where you had your breakfast but pretty much every where in Serbia you can find Pljeskavica ( burger), Burek ( A type of Serbian pie). When i say everywhere, i mean literally everywhere. This is especially true for pljeskavica. I ask about the places you visited because different parts of Serbia have different specialities. I'll show you here.
This is PLJESKAVICA
http://www.za-vas.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/pljeskavica-burger.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Pleskavitsa.JPG
This is BUREK
http://www.cocobakery.ca/public/upload/products/86/0c491c3edd6aaf612288d035de5ccf85.jpg
This is KOMPLET LEPINJA ( Complete Bun) wich is a speciality of Zlatibor mountain
http://www.cocobakery.ca/public/upload/products/86/0c491c3edd6aaf612288d035de5ccf85.jpg

You should have gone to KAFANA ( Small Restaurant), which is an ethno-restaurant and a basic drinking place for an average Serb. Like a tavern in Greece.
http://www.mojakafana.com/uploads/Galerija/169/i/1/kafana_Dusanov_konak_5.JPG
Call me next time :)

Back
Top Bottom