What foods do you hate and absolutely refuse to cook?

I can't say that I hate them because I've never tried them (and never wish to). Barbequed rats.

barbequde rat.jpg

I am told they are very tasty and full of protein.

However........
My girls would love them! That is one advantage of chooks. Less insects around generally apparently. They simply quote beetle grubs and anything like that. Sadly this includes worms and we are considering a wormery simply because of the number they eat. My chooks will take on some really large insects as well. One of my girls lives spiders the size of my first. Shame those ones are beneficial but she will take any size spiders though curiously they will only take a certain type of soldier ant.

My girls would love them! That is one advantage of chooks. Less insects around generally apparently. They simply quote beetle grubs and anything like that. Sadly this includes worms and we are considering a wormery simply because of the number they eat. My chooks will take on some really large insects as well. One of my girls lives spiders the size of my first. Shame those ones are beneficial but she will take any size spiders though curiously they will only take a certain type of soldier ant.
You fry insects for your girls? They are very spoiled chooks.
I know what you actually said. Yorky had posted fried grasshoppers.
Can we avoid the chocolate ants too?

You fry insects for your girls? They are very spoiled chooks.
I know what you actually said. Yorky had posted fried grasshoppers.
Can we avoid the chocolate ants too?

Fried ants... Deep fried chocolate ants.... There's an idea crunchy on the outside, soft and gloryr pay way through with a final crunch on the inside... Do they like chocolate? It's brown so their might (don't ask, they live anything white through to pale brown so far even taking roasted dried chickpeas and cashew nuts from my hand when I was hand feeding them grain with the other... Cheeky blighters!

It's possible that over the next few days and weeks my literacy skills will go downhill... Morphine does that to you and my Dr had just almost doubled my dose because my pain is not under control, hence it being 1:50am here and I've been up again since midnight. But I'm housebound in rural Australia, I don't need to be completely isolated by being incomprehensible as well... My dose has to go from 10mg daytime time release and 30mg night time before I did my ribs in, to 20mg & 40mg yesterday to 30/50mg today to get to 40/60mg for tomorrow. Plus any breakthrough pain management I need in addition... I'm expected to take a daily dose of around 120-150mg morphine compared to the 50mg I was on pre-broken ribs. Hummm, that's 3 times what I was on... Time to try sleep again. I might get through to 4am hopefully...

Last edited:
Feel even ill-er now...

Fried ants... Deep fried chocolate ants.... There's an idea crunchy on the outside, soft and gloryr pay way through with a final crunch on the inside... Do they like chocolate? It's brown so their might (don't ask, they live anything white through to pale brown so far even taking roasted dried chickpeas and cashew nuts from my hand when I was hand feeding them grain with the other... Cheeky blighters!

It's possible that over the next few days and weeks my literacy skills will go downhill... Morphine does that to you and my Dr had just almost doubled my dose because my pain is not under control, hence it being 1:50am here and I've been up again since midnight. But I'm housebound in rural Australia, I don't need to be completely isolated by being incomprehensible as well... My dose has to go from 10mg daytime time release and 30mg night time before I did my ribs in, to 20mg & 40mg yesterday to 30/50mg today to get to 40/60mg for tomorrow. Plus any breakthrough pain management I need in addition... I'm expected to take a daily dose of around 120-150mg morphine compared to the 50mg I was on pre-broken ribs. Hummm, that's 3 times what I was on... Time to try sleep again. I might get through to 4am hopefully...
You are fine. I couldn't resist being silly since I figured you meant the girls would like raw grasshoppers.
Hmmm, I guess we could make insect sushi for your girls.

You are fine. I couldn't resist being silly since I figured you meant the girls would like raw grasshoppers.
Hmmm, I guess we could make insect sushi for your girls.
So was I... but my sense of humour is often (sadly) missed by many.
They would love raw grasshoppers but I reckon they would eat fried ones as well. They love all sorts of things... so far tuna, bread, cooked rice (this wins hands down, they do mad over it), cashew nuts, banana, cauliflower florets, the stalk of but not leaves of cauliflower... have you spotted the theme yet? white/cream through to brown. I am tempted to see if red or black rice would get eaten just for a laugh because they do love sorghum seeds!

It looks like they don't like green stuff.
Do try the other colored rices.
yet they will happily crop short grass even shorter and some plants (weeds) are also favourites of theirs so I am utterly confused. I may try some cooked broccoli later in the week. I have managed to get them to eat a little bit of carrot but that was only because the rooster called them back and kept trying to give it to them and insist it was food. In the end they ate it, but only just! He was much more interested in it. They are all 'rescue' birds of one form or another, so it is curious as to what they consider food. In the layers free range mix we get, one of them will pick out all of the sorghum seeds and black unshelled sunflower seeds, yet fight off another that has no interest in those and only wants the actual grain which the first is not interested in :o_o:

I won't ever cook or eat bread and butter pudding; I've hated it since I was a child, but I will oddly eat Queen of puddings - odd I know!!
Anything else I'll always try once.:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom