What have you been baking?

I am now restricted to drinking only decaf tea. In my younger days, my brother often used to bring me back unblended Ceylon orange pekoe, which was gorgeous, but I've never found any that tastes like it here in the UK. and unfortunately the tea we used to have is too expensive to import - they don't do a decaf version anyway. I used to like Dilmah English Breakfast loose tea, but Tesco stopped selling it :(

20170613_235340.jpg
I made banana muffins again. Another quick fix. When I find something I like, I work it to death.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the dry ingredients for two batches of sweet scones out on my kitchen work table for nearly a month, waiting for the junction of a cool enough day and a block of free time in which I could mix and bake them. I made time today, since the rest of this week looks like it will be a lot of days in the 80s and I want my table cleared off! The paler ones on the left are a basic cream scone recipe to which I added mini chocolate chips and pieces of dried cherries. The more golden on the right is an orange scone which also has mini chocolate chips mixed in. We each ate one, I set two of each aside for my SIL in exchange for the stuffed cabbage she had brought earlier in the week, another two of each for eating this week, and I froze three of each. Hopefully, those in the freezer stay in the freezer until we leave for vacation in two weeks.

20170730_214509.jpg

I've had the dry ingredients for two batches of sweet scones out on my kitchen work table for nearly a month, waiting for the junction of a cool enough day and a block of free time in which I could mix and bake them. I made time today, since the rest of this week looks like it will be a lot of days in the 80s and I want my table cleared off! The paler ones on the left are a basic cream scone recipe to which I added mini chocolate chips and pieces of dried cherries. The more golden on the right is an orange scone which also has mini chocolate chips mixed in. We each ate one, I set two of each aside for my SIL in exchange for the stuffed cabbage she had brought earlier in the week, another two of each for eating this week, and I froze three of each. Hopefully, those in the freezer stay in the freezer until we leave for vacation in two weeks.

They look great!

Thank you, @morning glory! We love them. It's been a while since I baked them, but I think they might be showing up more often as the weather cools...IF the weather cools.

Thank you, @morning glory! We love them. It's been a while since I baked them, but I think they might be showing up more often as the weather cools...IF the weather cools.

I feel for you as I hate the heat. Its really quite cool in the UK right now! Will you post the recipe for the scones (as a new thread - we like recipes as new threads as that means they are 'searchable')? I'd like to try making them.

The recipes are from a cookbook @morning glory, but I have tweaked them a little bit. Will it be OK to post it if I post my versions, and then give credit to the book? I believe the book is now out-of-print. Also, I give a lot of credit to them turning out so delicious because of the cast aluminum pan that I bake them in. I've also tried making them drop style and pat-into-circle-then-cut style, and both times they baked up drier.

I'll get to posting tomorrow (Tuesday) if I remember. It's the wee hours here (2:00 AM) and >this< night owl should be thinking of going to bed. Not gonna happen for a while. :laugh:

Will it be OK to post it if I post my versions, and then give credit to the book? I believe the book is now out-of-print.

Yes, that is absolutely the way to do it. Sometimes, though, recipes are so tweaked that it is not necessary to credit the original!

Back
Top Bottom