What is a condiment ? Which condiments do you have on your table?

I forgot A1 anf HP sauces, Worcestershire, and all of the specialty bottled sauces we buy. We really like Stonewall Kitchens brand Curried Mango sauce, and Roasted Garlic Peanut sauce.

A discontinued sauce that I've been looking for a copycat recipe was Tastefully Simple brand Pomegranate Chipotle sauce.

All of the latter go great on simply grilled or pan seared lean proteins.

Tastefully Simple brand Pomegranate Chipotle sauce.

That sounds interesting. Quick Google (it contains that smoke flavouring)

Ingredients
Sugar, pomegranate, mango, jalapeño peppers (jalapeño peppers, salt, vinegar, water), apple cider vinegar, water, pectin (dextrose, pectin, fumaric acid), chipotle pepper blend (chili peppers, chipotle peppers, natural flavor, salt, citric acid), garlic, salt, spices, natural smoke flavor.

Last edited:
That sounds interesting. Quick Google (it contains that smoke flavouring)

Ingredients
Sugar, pomegranate, mango, jalapeño peppers (jalapeño peppers, salt, vinegar, water), apple cider vinegar, water, pectin (dextrose, pectin, fumaric acid), chipotle pepper blend (chili peppers, chipotle peppers, natural flavor, salt, citric acid), garlic, salt, spices, natural smoke flavor.
What is "natural smoke flavour"?

What is "natural smoke flavour"?

Its used in the stuff you buy in bottles and it is genuinely extracted from natural smoke. Famous brand (on sale here) is:

LN_840279_BP_11.jpg

In fact it is used in all sorts of products such as smoked tofu, cheese etc.

In UK it depends on what you are eating I'd say - salt, pepper, tomato sauce, oil and vinegar, mustard, mayonnaise which can all be found at tables in restaurants (often in unpleasant little sachets). At home people tend to get the relevant ones out according to what they are eating. I think very few people leave condiments permanently on the table - but perhaps I'm wrong?

That pretty much sums it up in our house. I add salt to chips but nothing else, husband adds salt to other meals, he likes mustard I prefer ketchup but depending on what we are eating, sometimes mayo. We only put them on the table when we are ready to eat, the rest of the time they live in the cupboard or fridge.

Nothing on the table, but plenty in the cupboard. Ketchup, HP sauce, a couple of chilli sauces, mustard plus a wild array of pickles and chutneys. Mayonnaise in the fridge.

The main problem with condiments is if you have too many, they tend to pile up on the fridge door shelves, & then it becomes a hassle storing them all, because once they are opened, they must be refridgerated to keep them from spoiling.:headshake:

The main problem with condiments is if you have too many, they tend to pile up on the fridge door shelves, & then it becomes a hassle storing them all, because once they are opened, they must be refridgerated to keep them from spoiling.:headshake:

Not all of them - if they are pickles, mustard etc they are preserved so no need to refridgerate.

We don't have condiments actually on our table but the four are: Chopped fresh chillis in vinegar, fish sauce, sugar, chilli powder or chilli flakes. Or any variation thereof. There are also coriander leaves but they are considered garnish. And recently I've discovered fried minced garlic (dried).

Back
Top Bottom