What is a condiment ? Which condiments do you have on your table?

We don't have condiments actually on our table but the four are: Chopped fresh chillis in vinegar, fish sauce, sugar, chilli powder or chilli flakes. Or any variation thereof. There are also coriander leaves but they are considered garnish. And recently I've discovered fried minced garlic (dried).

Do you mean your table - or a generic Thai table?

Do you mean your table - or a generic Thai table?

Our condiments (as per my list) are scattered around the fridge in jars or packets (ants love the sugar). However, in a restaurant the four items (or a variation thereof) are offered on the table.

condiments.jpg

So what do Thais do with the sugar?

That is one thing I've been asking myself for years. I've seen table legs in bowls of water but that normally doesn't deter ants. I think it's just one of the unknown wonders of the universe.

Want to bet? :laugh:

Get Craig to tell you guys about the hot sauce sampling (he had gotten a whole collection for Christmas that year) he had with his brother, who was also a chili head, and what happened to them both when they tried some Dave's Insanity on a cracker. I wasn't sure whether to call 911 or fall on the floor laughing.

That is one thing I've been asking myself for years. I've seen table legs in bowls of water but that normally doesn't deter ants. I think it's just one of the unknown wonders of the universe.

I think she meant how to Thais use it as a condiment, i.e what do they put sugar on?

I think she meant how to Thais use it as a condiment, i.e what do they put sugar on?

A plateful of noodle soup with whatever meat and vegetables gets fish sauce (which is already in the soup), fresh chillis, sugar and chilli powder added in various quantities depending upon the taste of the eater. If my wife cooks at home, the condiments will be added during the latter stages of the cooking or just before serving.

Depends on what I'm cooking, if Indian I have chillies in oil, rhaita (mint and cucumber) and also tamarind chutney. Along with so and p.

Russ

Depends on what I'm cooking, if Indian I have chillies in oil, rhaita (mint and cucumber) and also tamarind chutney. Along with so and p.

I suppose mine (not ours) depends upon the food being eaten. Salt and vinegar for fish/fishcakes and chips; salt and mint sauce for pie and mushy peas; Chop sauce or piccalilli with porkie pies; black pepper for ravioliolio and cauliflower cheese; maybe a little Parmesan for spaghetti; fresh chillis for certain pizzas; fresh chillis in soy sauce for fried rice; chopped coriander leaf for curry; etc., etc. I really don't know which of the foregoing could be considered "condiments".

I heard on the TV this morning that salsa is considered a condiment in USA.

Depends on what I'm cooking, if Indian I have chillies in oil, rhaita (mint and cucumber) and also tamarind chutney

Can someone please remind me of the name of the seed mix that is offered at the end of an Indian meal as a breath-cleanser. I recall that it contains fennel seeds but I can't remember what else. Not strictly a condiment, but if @rascal is calling butter a condiment because "it's on the table", then I think this would pass under those rules (but so would candlestick and jug of water, so perhaps the rules are being bent a bit).

Can someone please remind me of the name of the seed mix that is offered at the end of an Indian meal as a breath-cleanser. I recall that it contains fennel seeds but I can't remember what else.

I've always thought that it was only fennel seeds. I also would like to know if there's anything else.

Can someone please remind me of the name of the seed mix that is offered at the end of an Indian meal as a breath-cleanser. I recall that it contains fennel seeds but I can't remember what else. Not strictly a condiment, but if

The ones I've seen are just candied fennel seeds.

They sorta look like Good n Plenty candies (do you have those over thar?") which are small, pink and/or white coloured candied licorices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom