What is your current "read"?

I need to order some books. I want to re-read The Good Earth trilogy by Pears S. Buck. I read it in high school - long enough ago to enjoy it again.
I bought some Pearl S Buck books (translations) nearly 50 years ago when I lived in Germany. I haven't read them since. Perhaps it is time for me to dig them out too.

Sincé I am working on my 5th language, Italian, I have been Reading a few books written by 2 dear Italian Friends in the travel business who relocated to Africa, to begin businesses.

Author: Doctor Corrado Passi ..
Book: Capetown ( South Africa ) ..

Here is one of the books:

CAPETOWNBOOKCORRADOPASSI16923674_10208606746350486_1974451669_n.png

Last edited:
Time to read another girly* book. Jane Austen completed only six novels (well, six were published, two posthumously) so I my current total is 50%. I aim to make that 66.66% by reading Emma. Some critics view this as her best work.

* Please ensure irony detector is activated.

Time to read another girly* book. Jane Austen completed only six novels (well, six were published, two posthumously) so I my current total is 50%. I aim to make that 66.66% by reading Emma. Some critics view this as her best work.

* Please ensure irony detector is activated.

I did Emma at A level. I liked it at the time but I'm not sure I would now.

I did Emma at A level. I liked it at the time but I'm not sure I would now.

It's strange how we view books we studied at school. I had Far from the Madding Crowd beaten into my dense skull for my English Literature O level and that gave me an aversion to Thomas Hardy that took a long time to shake off. I have recovered now and I've even read that book again.

It's strange how we view books we studied at school. I had Far from the Madding Crowd beaten into my dense skull for my English Literature O level and that gave me an aversion to Thomas Hardy that took a long time to shake off. I have recovered now and I've even read that book again.
I've never read any Thomas Hardy books. I got a few pages in to one of them (can't remember which) but just couldn't get on with it.
Our English Lit O level books were Henry V, A Midsummer Night's Dream, A Pattern of Islands, a book of D H Lawrence's poems, and something else the name of which completely escapes me. I only just managed to scrape through in English Lit and did little better in English Language. Neither subject appealed to me, and I did not want to do either of them.
I finished "Police" and have just started "The Thirst" (both audiobooks). I have also read "The Three Kings of Cologne" by Kate Sedley (a mediaeval mystery), which wasn't bad, and "The Evil At Monteine" by Brian Ball - a horror story which was not all it cracked up to be. I am now also reading Roadside Crosses, an American Crime novel by Jeffery Deaver, but unless something drastic happens (I'm half way through it), I may not reach the end. Another hazard of someone else choosing books for you, I'm afraid. These three and the one below are all print books.
I do have another book, which I did start, called Midnight at Marble Arch by Anne Perry, but as soon as I started reading it, a film flashed into my tiny brain. This book apparently has never been made into a film, but the first chapter being about a death of a young girl at the Spanish Embassy in London seemed very familiar.
I have two more audio books in the pipe line - Thomas Cromwell, by Tracy Borman, and Queens of Conquest by Alison Weir (Part One - Matilda of Flanders) - which may appeal more. These two are also from the housebound library service.

I have to confess that my GCSE English literature books were such that they turned me off the author permanently. One was Romeo and Juliet which was studied in detail, line by line and w were taken to see it at the local theatre in the round as well.. The other I studied was one called The Guardians. I can't remember the author but it was an odd book to say the least. Sort of 1984 but not quite iirc.

My current read which will be joining me in hospital tomorrow is one I have mentioned before, ' where the hell have you been? ' by Tom Carver whose father was Richard Carver, the stepson of General Bernard Montgomery.

I've forgotten what it's like to read for pleasure.
I read so much technical crap that I need to look up the rest of the hours of my day if I want to be a parent and husband.

I came rather late to the pleasures of PG Wodehouse, but I've been making up for it in the last couple of years. Currently, I am reading Piccadilly Jim, what one might term a one-off as it doesn't involve Wooster, Jeeves, Blandings, Psmith or any of the many characters that pop up in various works. One thing I often think that is overlooked when it comes to Wodehouse is just how brilliant some of his plots are. Piccadilly Jim is a very good example and any book where a character impersonates himself appeals to me instantly.

Now that I've enjoyed my light bit of Wodehouse, it's time to move onto something heavier.

Even I am not quite enough of an anorak to have a written list, but I do have a mental list of "books I should have read by now." One of these is Dante's Divine Comedy, so that is what I am reading. There are, of course, myriad translations, so I can't really say how the one I have measures up against various others. It is, however, an Oxford World Classics edition, so you'd hope it wouldn't be too shabby.

Back
Top Bottom