What is your everyday bread?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:51 PM
In this house its a multigrain, medium sliced (from Aldi usually). Hardly a gourmet bread - but that's what everyone here likes for everyday sandwiches, toast etc. So its in the cupboard most of the time. This alternates sometimes with soft white sliced bread. I like that too sometimes. You can't beat it for a chip butty!

I also make bread, but not often enough to feed everyone here and anyway - they like sliced factory bread as well as mine.

How about you? Do you have a regular everyday bread or do you vary it? Do you make your own bread?

We usually have 4 or 5 breads around the kitchen:

Wonder white for basic sandwiches and toast

Seeded and oat-y rustic whole wheat/ multigrain

Thin sliced soft whole wheat (wife's sandwiches)

Polish rye or Jewish soft rye, or Pumpernickel/Rye swirl, usually only one at a time. Also for toast and sandwiches, especially hot open sandwiches as it stands up better than soft white.

Not our everyday breads, but there's the occasional Kaiser rolls, or Portugese rolls, or bagels (plain, poppy seed, everything, or an onion bagel for me).

Finally, if we're having hot dogs or burgers, the appropriate rolls for those.

Or Italian or French, we'll pick up a fresh baguette.

Last edited:
We don't eat bread every day, maybe once a week, sometimes not even that. When we do eat bread, it's almost always homemade.

I'd probably be the same - its really mainly the grown-up children living here (plus their partners when they stay) who eat it - they have toast in the morning and sandwiches for packed lunches.

We try to eat only homemade wholemeal, but it's sometimes a challenge time wise (it takes me around 4 1/2 hours to make) and I'm not a very good baker. I cheat by using a packet mix, and substitute almond milk for the water. It takes 2:20 hrs in the dough machine, followed by a knock back, rise then bake. One large loaf lasts us about three days at home - toast and the occasional sandwich. Plan B involves a walk to the village shop, where they sell a really good 'malted crunch' loaf made by a local baker. It's quite heavy, and full of seeds, but at £2.50 it's more that twice the cost of a homemade loaf, and it's only half the size.

Italian or rye depending whats on sale.

Can't say I have an everyday bread. For the most part, I try to keep the carbs down, and go with whole wheat for bread, pasta, tortillas. For a while I went off carbs all together. Now, it depends on what I'm making. Sometimes I might have English muffins, tortillas, or hot dog buns in the house. On occasion, I use them interchangeably. For example, I'll use toasted hot dog buns for tuna melts or fried clams, or whole wheat tortillas for flatbread pizza. Tuna melts are also great on cinnamon raisin open-faced English muffins. I love onion rolls, and they're great for sandwiches or burgers. Burger buns are good for sandwiches as well. It varies. I almost always have Bagels for open-faced tuna melts Etc. The bakery, at the market, has huge cheddar cheese Bagels. They are hard to resist.

Last edited:
This for general stuff:

Cubic bread s.jpg

And sourdough rolls.

bacon-tomato.jpg

For store bought, I guess it would be Martin's potato bread. That is what we use for burger buns, slider buns and hotdog buns.

When you say 'Italian' what type of Italian bread do you mean?

Arnolds Italian...it doesn't have any seeds on top...it just a generic white italian. In the U.S. when you say italian bread rarely does someone ask what kind as we usually think of the same kinda loaf...likely italians would be appauld at it.

Have i asked if there are english muffins in england? Not 'does england have muffins' but does england have a specific bread product called "english muffins" i had someone tell me they didn't and others say they did...and if yes do you have photos for comparison?

Off topic but i was told about a "American Soup" in england...they asked me what the little meat thing in it were called...i had not a clue as America has no American Soup.

Have i asked if there are english muffins in england? Not 'does england have muffins' but does england have a specific bread product called "english muffins" i had someone tell me they didn't and others say they did...and if yes do you have photos for comparison?

We have muffins which look like this. But we don't call them English muffins - just 'muffins'. Its a yeasted bread:

English-Muffins-front.jpg

Often served toasted:

English-Muffins-1024x685.jpg

But perhaps more recently (?) the American style muffin has become popular which is really quite different from yeasted muffins. Here is one of my recipes:

IMGP0134.jpg

Back
Top Bottom