What is your everyday bread?

We have muffins which look like this. But we don't call them English muffins - just 'muffins'. Its a yeasted bread:
Often served toasted:

I sometimes use them as bases for mini pizza.

muffin pizza (2).jpg

Hmm our english muffins do look like your yeasted muffins...they are mostly used at breakfast tho here. I like mine with egg and cheese. I use a bagel for a base for a mini pizza...actually I am known to put garlic powder, italian seasoning, and melt some cheese on a bagel and put it in a ziplock and take it for lunch at work. Our regular muffins are just shy of being a cupcake...i have a magnet on my fridge that says "A cupcake was once a muffin with aspirations"

As for the American soup they said it was in the international aisle of their grocery store. I often wondered if they were seeing spaghettios cause it is made by a brand called FrancoAmerican.

Hmm our english muffins do look like your yeasted muffins...they are mostly used at breakfast tho here. I like mine with egg and cheese. I use a bagel for a base for a mini pizza...actually I am known to put garlic powder, italian seasoning, and melt some cheese on a bagel and put it in a ziplock and take it for lunch at work. Our regular muffins are just shy of being a cupcake...i have a magnet on my fridge that says "A cupcake was once a muffin with aspirations"

Re the muffins - it sounds like we are singing from the same hymn sheet. There are just two sorts of muffins. The yeasted muffins are an old British thing. There is a nursery song 'the muffin man' - based on the fact that muffins were sold in the streets of London:

“The Muffin Man” is a traditional nursery rhyme and singing game dating back to early nineteenth-century, England. The rhyme, first recorded in 1820, recalls a muffy man of Dury Lane, an overpopulated area of London where poverty, brothels and gambling, and also criminality and were part of the scene.

A muffin man used to be the person who was delivering fresh muffins from home to home, for the low class people living in the English cities of the 19th century.

https://allnurseryrhymes.com/the-muffin-man/

And another - the muffins seem quite similar to those we have now. Note the bell in both photos to announce the arrival of the muffin man.

a722f74cd0ae2e83e7fe872535978dec.jpg

See now i know what heck they were talking about in the childs song Muffin Man

First Verse:
Oh, do you know the muffin man,
The muffin man, the muffin man,
Oh, do you know the muffin man,
That lives on Drury Lane?

Second Verse:
Oh, yes, I know the muffin man,
The muffin man, the muffin man,
Oh, yes, I know the muffin man,
That lives on Drury Lane.

So many english children songs gets taught and us poor american kids have no idea what they are on about...i doubt the ones teaching us them do either. Tho i recall a different line than the Drury lane line...i think ours had "That lives on down the lane" as that line?

Next to the little boy who was to get some of black sheep's wool?

Apparently...always figured england had a lot of lanes and footage from doc martin tends to confirm that. Why would a little boy want wool anyway? Btw i have never seen a sheep in real life...just movies and photos

My sis visited england years back and all i ever heard her comment was about jet lag and no ice in her soda...went all the way to england to eat at mcdonalds

First time my Thai wife went to England we were driving along the Motorway (M56) and she exclaimed "Look, ships!". I thought, "What is she talking about, you cannot see ships from here". I eventually followed her eyes into a field of sheep!

Back
Top Bottom