What is your favourite green vegetable?

Sprouts are the fellow. I always liked them, even when I was very young (I thought children were, traditionally, suppose to hate them, but I've always been contradictory). Spinach is up near the top, too. I'm okay with "ordinary" broccoli, though I prefer tender-stem or purple sprouting. Spring greens are also a favourite, although too many people overcook them. Can I count wild garlic as a green? In that case, we'll add it to the list.
Same here. I'm going off kale (although it depends what type) and I'm not keen on cabbage unless it's shredded and cooked as an ingredient in something rather than on its own. I do also like Swiss chard.

An interesting turn of phrase! Were you a fan or did you eat it because it became fashionable (no - I'm sure you wouldn't do that)?
No. A stall in Chelmsford market got me hooked on it many years ago, but then it seemed to disappear off the scene. These days it usually comes in one of my veg boxes from time to time.

Another fave, though I consider it a salad green, is Rocket .. and Field greens of all types (sorrel ), Kress varities and oak leaf Green and Violet lettuce ..

AAFRANCESCAOAKLEAFLETTUCE20180122_120806.jpg

An amazing Spanish Evoo and Aged Balsamic Vinaigrette or Champagne Vinegar or Aged Jerez de La Frontera Sherry Vinegar ..

Does nori, sea beans, dandelion greens, cat-tail tubers or fresh heart of palm count?

Why not? :laugh: I've not heard of sea beans but I guess a kind of seaweed or is it more like samphire? Not heard of cat-ail tubers either. Hearts of palm I
've only ever had tinned and I love it. But they seem to be white.

Galicia in the analomous northwest of Spain, has an enormous sustainable Algae netting industry ..

There are approx. 300 varieties alone on Galicia´s Atlantic Coastline, supplying Spain in a wide variety of greens, red violets and blue Green hues as well as red wine tones ..

Wonderful salads and decoratives ..

Why not? :laugh: I've not heard of sea beans but I guess a kind of seaweed or is it more like samphire? Not heard of cat-ail tubers either. Hearts of palm I
've only ever had tinned and I love it. But they seem to be white.

Trust me, a cabbage palm is all green until you spend hours of hard labor breaking it down to the "heart". There are many things you wouldn't know are edible unless you've done some type of survival course. Elderberry flowers taste like popcorn when fried.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-mozilla-002&hsimp=yhs-002&hspart=mozilla&p=cabbage+palm+heart#id=3&
vid=f816121c87db8b51527f31807e6f90d8&action=view

Another thing about selecting your cabbage palm is to make sure there isn't an eastern diamondback rattlesnake hanging in the surrounding foliage. Then again, it would make a tasty addition to the stew.

Last edited:
For me, Runner Beans are my utter favourite and will make a meal of them with gravy. Otherwise, I like Cavolo Nero, Savoy cabbage, pointed cabbage and I will admit Sprouts as long as they have been finely sliced.

Back
Top Bottom