What rice?

Local time
3:29 PM
Website
www.helium.com
There are so many varieties of rice out there. What's your preferred choice? We always went for basmati rice, but a couple of years ago, a friend introduced me to brown rice. I loved the nutty flavour, but my husband wasn't so keen, so I got him trained by starting off a small amount of brown rice, then adding about 95% basmati.

Each time I cooked rice, I increased the brown and decreased the basmati until it was about 50-50. Then my husband noticed what I was doing, and he asked if I'd changed the usual rice, as this was the nicest he'd ever had! I 'fessed up then, and I've since managed to get him to eat brown rice on a regular basis.

What's your favourite rice?

I prefer basmati too.
I was brought up in Italy, where the norm is short grain rice. Risotto is quite sticky.
I discovered basmati when I came over to the uk, now it's my favourite.
I have learned a foolproof way to cook it from a Cypriot chef: bring to simmer double the amount of liquid of the amount of rice you want to cook, add seasoning, simmer until the liquid is all absorbed, the rice will be cooked to perfection.
I like frying off onions, cumin, fenugreek before adding the liquid.

I like Basmati but my favourite is Jasmine rice. Though thb I like most rice types and have been known to sub pudding rice in Risottos and Paellas.

Rice....I definitely prefer rice to pasta. I don't buy or cook often basmati rice, I like it but I'm not so a fan. Whilst I love and always buy Riso Arborio and Carnaroli, perfect for risotti. I also like and use Riso Originario to preparing cake and dessert. I find out Riso Venere ( black rice) and it's interesting to prepare particular dish...is quite expensive, I buy and cook it when I have guest to lunch or for a romantic dinner...is very scenographic.

Last edited:
Good question.

1) Italian: Carnaroli is my 1st choice for a Risotto.

2) Spanish: Valencian Arborio from La Bufera, Valencia is my 1st choice for my Paellas ..

3) Asian Aromatic Rices or Sushi Rice: I enjoy dining out in Asian Restaurants .. However, have never prepared them at home ..

Have a lovely evening / day ..

There are so many varieties of rice out there. What's your preferred choice? We always went for basmati rice, but a couple of years ago, a friend introduced me to brown rice. I loved the nutty flavour, but my husband wasn't so keen, so I got him trained by starting off a small amount of brown rice, then adding about 95% basmati.

Each time I cooked rice, I increased the brown and decreased the basmati until it was about 50-50. Then my husband noticed what I was doing, and he asked if I'd changed the usual rice, as this was the nicest he'd ever had! I 'fessed up then, and I've since managed to get him to eat brown rice on a regular basis.

What's your favourite rice?
Brown rice is my favorite kind too but I usually eat white rice which is quite good too.

Rice....I definitely prefer rice to pasta. I don't buy or cook often basmati rice, I like it but I'm not so a fan. Whilst I love and always buy Riso Arborio and Carnaroli, perfect for risotti. I also like and use Riso Originario to preparing cake and dessert. I find out Riso Venere ( black rice) and it's interesting to prepare particular dish...is quite expensive, I buy and cook it when I have guest to lunch or for a romantic dinner...is very scenographic.

@MypinchofItaly

Tell me about Venere Nero ( Italian Black Rice ) .. Is it Squid Ink Infused ?

Fascinating !

Have a lovely day ..

@MypinchofItaly

Tell me about Venere Nero ( Italian Black Rice ) .. Is it Squid Ink Infused ?

Fascinating !

Have a lovely day ..

Ola @Francesca!
nope, I found out that Riso Venere is the Italian name of black parboiled brown rice! No squid ink inside :D
20170711_183519.jpg

I'm partial to short grain rice. I love sticky clumps of tasty starch. Especially when it's turned into sushi (sour) rice.

My second choice is real Minnesota or the UP of Michigan wild rice, mixed with a nice, nutty brown rice.

My wife occasionally eats this "brown" rice:

brown rice-s.jpg

Reference "red" rice, our first attempt at growing rice here was influenced by the new "designer" red rice which was all the rage at the time. We swapped two starter packs of Jasmine for one of red rice and away we went. At that time Jasmine was being bought for Bht 5.90/kg whereas red rice was being bought for Bht 13.50.

As is the story of my life, by the time harvest came, the bottom had dropped out of the red rice market and we ended up selling our designer rice to the villagers for a pittance. Never bothered with rice farming after that - rented the paddy out to another dimwit!

Fallera, Valencian Arborio Short Grain, from Albufera, Valencia, recommended by: Three Michelin Star Chef José Andrés, is the Brand, most used in Spain for Paellas ..

fallera2013-02-10%2010.27.13.jpg

Back
Top Bottom